1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shame and IH in current Political Environment

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by OnTheHighway, Mar 31, 2017.

1. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is not a post to debate the current political environment. Rather it's a post to reflect on how shame and internalized homophobia is triggered, and managed, when there seems to be a daily barrage of anti LGBT News: rights for trans students being impacted, North Carolina has its HB2 bill being replaced by an equally discriminatory revised bill, elimination of discrimination protections for those looking to win federal contracts, etc etc.

I have always said shame and IH are life long fights. And whenever I see such discriminatory initiatives it always brings back such emotions. I guess I stay focused on my involvement in various LGBT organizations (and even EC) to try and do my part to fight the fight as a way to control the emotions even before they arise and pacify them when they do.

I am troubled by the steps back that seem to be occurring in the United States. The best thing to do is to continue to push ourselves forward. As I see the glass half full, I can not help but think these efforts will not last and the positive majority public sentiment towards LGBT rights will ultimately prevail.

#1 OnTheHighway, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  2. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Time is on our side. The younger generations are already so much better and more accepting. My 13-year old has two transgender friends in her class and multiple non-straight classmates. And for those in that group, that's their normal, and that's wonderful.

This time in America is a speed bump, a brief lurch sideways that happens in civil rights struggles. We will prevail.

For me, I'm proud to be probably the only out bi man in a lot of my friends' lives. Just be a good man, show them bi is fine, it's doing my part. We will get there together, even if the path is winding at times.

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yea I'm super disappointed about all the anti LGBT people in power now and the negative things they're doing against us, other marginalized groups and the environment. It makes me sad that so many people should have known this is what we'd get yet apparently are fine with that. I wonder if there was ever a true survey of everyone, how much support do we really have? Seems like a lot of people who hate us have been hiding out, not being counted, not voting for decades and suddenly came out of hiding this last election.

You're right that we should stay positive and work to improve things and hopefully this doesn't last long. I like to believe the lies they tell about us will not work forever and enough people will eventually see the truth.