1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a magnetic force behind attraction?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Soundofmusic, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A few weeks ago I suddenly remembered the 1st girl I ever had a conscious crush on. She went to summer camp with me and was like the super girly popular girl in camp, always surrounded by a ton of people. I remember that she knew my name, and to me that was always a shocker and I got a little thrill out of knowing that she knew who I was.

Anyways, today I decided to look her up on Facebook and guess what? TURNS OUT SHE'S GAY!

She's in a relationship and lives hella far away, so this isn't to say like "hey guys, I'm gonna hook it up with my childhood crush!". But, it got me thinking.

There was no obvious sign that she was gay back in the day, or that I was for that matter. Yet I was super drawn to her and even though there was no reason for her to know who I was or be around me (we were in totally different activities/cabins), she knew my name and would seek me out at times.

So do you guys think that when we sense another person who is of our same sexual orientation, we are unconsciously attracted to them like as if by a magnetic force?

Has anything like this happened to any of you?

2. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, that sort of thing has happened to me. With my catalyst, we were both married but somehow drawn to each other. I knew something was going to happen between us. And it did.
    There was also a girl I was drawn to in high school that came out.
    And, somehow, I even was drawn to celebrities that came out later - like Kristen Stewart.
    Something subconscious I think.

3. TwoSocks

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was going to say "I think this could be possible. But at the same time there can be a ton of reasons as to why people can feel attraction or a magnetic force towards someone."

But I looked up my childhood crush just now. Well, for a moment I got a little bit of that feeling back I had for her from seeing one of her photos. Not with all of them though, it was only because I recognised her in that photo, the way she used to be.

Her sexuality wasn't on her profile, but I googled her name with quotes and it turns out she is an active member of an LGBT+ community in my country. I found her twitter and she supports women rights and gay rights. She could still be straight. It doesn't mean she's gay or bi. But I'm kind of like.. Ehh??? What? Haha :eek:

At the time I was only 10 or 11, I gave her signs but she was weirded out by me (I thought) and asked me "are you in love with me or something". I said no. She said are you sure? I was scared.. and now this. So I guess it's possible. But she was my best friend and I liked her cause she was a really cute confident tough girl. :icon_bigg

#3 TwoSocks, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  4. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thats crazy!!! Theres gotta be something there. Now I wanna do like a study or something haha