1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the concept of dating scare anyone else?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Mysteria, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Mysteria

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm not 21 anymore. Heck, I'm not even 30 anymore. I'm very overweight. I have the occasional grey hair. I have arthritis (it starts early in the female side of the family). The idea of dating again, of being out "on the market" again, when I can't even imagine anyone looking at me twice, is very scary. It's like if I choose this path I'm deciding I'm fine with being alone forever. Or if this path has chosen me, however you want to word it.

I know this shouldn't be a factor in things and I am nowhere near ready to date even if I was a perfect size 6 (I refuse to say 2) and in great shape. But it would seem a little less intimidating. It'd be weird enough to date again; hard enough to face the concept of doing things I've never done to meet people like going to bars; weird enough to learn the "non-straight" dating language. But having how I look on top of it just seems like too much. Has anyone else struggled with this?

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i hear you sister, im 50, trans, and not much to look at as a guy, let alone as a woman. plus all the cosiderations like hiv, like sti's in general, consent, aps, bars, like sheesh.

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dating is another way of making yourself vulnerable.

Through your comments on how you look, your expressing a lack of confidence and low self image. I would bet that others will find you attractive and see you for the real person you are. When you put yourself out there and start to date, and when others appreciate whom you are, you may find That your confidence and self esteem is boosted. And even if some do not appreciate you, when you realize you would be fine even if some do not, that also will boast your confidence. So either way, you can find personal development by dating.

So, my suggestion is, make yourself vulnerable, put yourself out there, and go date!

#3 OnTheHighway, Apr 15, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  4. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there. I'm absolutely terrified of dating. When I was younger I kinda skipped straight over the dating part.

I'm short, scrawny, have low self esteem a negative self image and depression and anxiety. I have more grey hairs than not and I am super socially awkward and shy.

I wonder if I'll ever be ready let alone brave enough to go out let alone meet someone

5. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i agree, but knowing and actually getting around or through it is not as easy as said.

6. Rana

Rana Guest

OMG, the idea of dating women feels like I'm in high school not knowing how to approach someone I like, not knowing what to say, etc. It feels daunting for sure. I don't even know where to meet other lesbians when I'm ready to do so. I've never been one to meet people in bars (just not my scene). I like to go out to bars with friends and have a good time, but meeting a completely random person at a bar always felt a little scary to me so I never did that. Don't get me started about online dating...tried it many years ago for like 5 minutes...I found it strangely depressing like going to the grocery store for people. I know that is a major way people find each other these days, so I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, but it just depresses me for some reason. These are the things I'm thinking about these days that make me feel frustrated and sad, like how/where will I meet people like me? Someone needs to inject some hope in me.

7. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find the idea of dating to be scary and intimidating as well. My relationships before just sort of "happened", and I never did any real dating.
    Now, I'm a single father of 3 that works way too much to barely scrape by, lacking confidence and self esteem, and this feeling like not wanting to open up my life to anyone else's "baggage", much less expose them to my own.

#7 angeluscrzy, Apr 15, 2017
  8. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I appreciate what your saying. After about twenty years of marriage, I was equally skeptical. But similar to being concened about jumping into a cold swimming pool, only to find the water is actually not bad, starting to date is similar. Sometimes, you need to just jump in.

Will it be awkward? Yes! Will you make mistakes? Yes! But you can adjust and get used to it, and then once you do, you may find the proverbial "water" is quite nice.

9. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :thumbsup:

I will add that compared to (faux) straight dating, dating aligned with my (true) sexual orientation (gay) is wonderful. I love meeting and dating guys. I want to check out hot guys in public. Life is wonderful once you accept yourself (and put yourself out there as OTH suggests).

#9 SiennaFire, Apr 15, 2017
  10. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    oh i check out hot guys. i think that, for me, is that yes im overweight, bald, and 50yrs old. but im just starting out in my transition, that seems like a hugh thing to get deeper into before a guy would want me? or that's how it seems in my head.

11. Mysteria

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks everyone who responded to this. It made me feel a little bit better.
    I can relate to the thing about baggage because I don't exactly have an uncomplicated situation myself. It's very probable anyone else in my age range also has a complicated situation.
    *sigh* I just never, ever thought I'd be here.

12. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's like I wrote this! I feel EXACTLY the same. meh