1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

depression

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by JackieScut, Apr 16, 2017.

1. JackieScut

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How can you feel really good one minute and so low the next? I think I can honestly say that I have never suffered with depression. I have been stressed, things have got me down, but I have never felt as bad as I have this last year. Is this depression?

I have posted on here before about how I fell in love with another woman. I am 52 with 4 grown children and had decided after my last relationship ended (14 years ago) that I was probably going to spend the rest of my life alone as every relationship I had been in just never felt right for me. Last year my life changed. It went from simple and happy to being turned upside down and inside out.

I am so confused. I feel really sorted one minute and then all muddled the next! I actually do really like myself most of the time, I like how I am thinking. I like how I feel. I have noticed that I feel deeper, think deeper... think longer. I think that I am more caring, sympathetic. All this from realising I am gay?? It certainly is a transformation I am experiencing.

I have had 2 weeks off the day job. Catching up with stuff indoors and getting my own little business sorted. The first week I spent out and about and chilling, and this week I needed to get lots of paperwork done and stuff listed online. Yesterday was brilliant. Music up, I was well in the swing and got loads done. This morning I was up, had breakfast and got stuck in again. All was going great until about 3pm. Then it hit. I just sat and felt so low. All my incentive went! I felt so shit! I know why... I'm going to share, sorry to bore you all but it really helps to write all this down!

Just over a week ago the women I fell in love with messaged me. We have a family connection and we will cross paths at some point. I can't cut all contact. We hadn't been in touch for 4 months. She had a few questions she wanted to ask about the night I told her my feelings. We were very drunk. We had been having a deep conversation about all sorts. She had asked me if there was anyone I was attracted to at the time. I had no inhibitions as I was so drunk... I said yes! And told her it was her. I remember the words coming out of my mouth. I still can't believe they did! She just looked at me and said 'Really'? I can't remember much about what happened after that apart from the fact I did drink more and I did make a pass (I won't go into details on that one) She wasn't as drunk as me and stopped it and she left and went home!

The next day I felt awful. I text and apologised. She said not to fuss and it was all drunken nonsense. She is older than me. Intelligent, caring and level headed. She lives abroad. I was visiting family when this happened and 2 days later I was on the flight home and feeling crushed! I didn't see her before I left.

She messaged me to see how I was. She said she was worried about me and that she can understand how attractions happen regardless of gender. I couldn't get the knotted feeling out of my stomach. I had made a pass at this woman. What was I doing??? I only did it because I was drunk. I had/have incredibly strong feelings for her but it would never have happened if I hadn't been drinking! Anyway, back to her messaging me after 4 months. She asked how I was. I said I was feeling better. She said it takes time to get over something like that. She has no idea what I have been going through. She said she has been struggling with feelings of guilt from that night. She said she shouldn't have been drunk and that she has a feeling of being invaded and it has stayed with her. She wasn't angry while explaining this. Although it was messages and we haven't spoken, the messages were calm and normal. Hearing this took me right back to how I felt at the time. The knot in my stomach is back. I told her I was confused as she had said she understood. It was all drunken nonsense and we should move on? She said that she had felt bad, it was bothering her and needed to talk. I told her that I wish she had told me earlier how she felt... not left it so long. All this time I was getting myself sorted, coming to terms with my feelings and working through my issues. ALl that time she was feeling shit at what I had done! I felt sooo guilty. We chatted for a bit longer and at the end of the conversation she said she did want to forget it all. She said that we should move on and forget it happened. I said I would love to do that if she could and she said she would.

I feel so horribly guilty at how I have made her feel. This poor woman didn't ask for this. I feel like I have invaded her personal space, and even though she has said we should forget it and move on I can't! Until she messaged I was feeling a bit better, planned a couple of meetups. Came out to a close friend. Was beginning to start feeling good about myself again and embracing these new feelings I have. Now I just feel rotten. I know our conversation ended on a good note but I just can't shake this feeling of guilt. I actually feel dirty at what I have done and I know I shouldn't. Or should I? If I think back to how many blokes made passes at me (younger days), some returned and others were told to jog on... I can never remember feeling bad about them. Once a mother of one of my sons friends (known to be bi) tried to kiss me when she was drunk one night. At the time I was pregnant with my last child. I just told her to piss off and behave. I didn't really give that a 2nd thought. How long does it takes to start feeling normal again?

2. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey there,
    I'm going to tell you something my catalyst actually told me, 'give yourself the gift of grace.' You are human.
    I know how you feel in that I did not plan on developing feelings for my friend either and then when I realized I had, I felt awful.i felt like I was doing something wrong and I was embarrassed.
    But, I have largely forgiven myself because we had developed a very very close friendship and I was at a transitional place in my life and marriage so, I can see how it all happened.
    In your case I'm not sure I fully understand what she is expressing. Maybe she needed some closure.

3. SilentOtaku

SilentOtaku Guest

I suffer from depression and hate being labeled. Seriously how is it that if you think a certain way and that it lines up to facts how most people view something like a medium in that same certain way. As well as everything lines up how it actually is, okay so how would that thought or behavior make you something like a weaboo, an SJW, or even a hard left liberal?

Idk this ends up making me really upset and I end wanting to kill self just so I don't have to deal with the ignorance of a dominant and loud mouth Americans and deal with the bullshit.

I know off topic, but we end up feeling way you do. Where we feel like the world doesn't care about you that most people in society are stupid and then we feel like people only care to hurt you. And other negative things. I say, you know I don't understand your situation all that much but in reality the best way to handle this take a day at a time and find something to keep you positive. Negativity will only destroy you..

#3 SilentOtaku, Apr 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2017
  4. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    jackiescutt17 - I understand. I too wouldn't say that I suffer from depression - sure I have low at times in my life, but it hasn't lasted. This period of my life has been totally different. I think it is because there is no stability or certainty: my job situation is still unstable as I took time out of my career to raise kids and, whilst I am working, it is not in a permanent role, therefore I am not earning a decent, predictable income. I was feeling lonely and disconnected in my marriage: it is still difficult for me to understand how much of this was actually connected to my unrealised/shifting sexuality and how much was down to other factors that wore away at the fabric of our relationship. Then her: those incredible, sudden feelings of butterflies, light-headed, tongue-tied and the sudden surge of connectedness and massive desire - followed by her bizarre, erratic behaviour - at one moment gazing intensely at me, beaming and sharing her intimate feelings and worries unsolicited, then blanking me for months, now polite - seemingly still likes me personally - but keeping her emotional distance very determinedly and resolutely - and, to be honest, she is probably sensible to do so - there is no future or outlet for such feelings, even if she felt it too, at some level. And yet, it is taking me soooo long to move past this. I think there are acute waves of grief, loss, guilt, shame, disbelief and unreality going on. Then the flip side - inbetween - those feelings of wholeness, liking the essence of oneself, the beginnings of acceptance and gaiety (in the old sense of the word). It is very difficult to manage and I can understand how hearing from her after several months has reopened the painful love wound and sent you on a downward trajectory this week - I would be the same in your shoes - it feels so sad, doesn't it, when you fall very much in love but there's no hope of it being returned? It took me 41 years to understand that, because I had never come close to experiencing that before. Message me if you need to talk at any point. Take care. Xxx.

---------- Post added 17th Apr 2017 at 11:10 AM ----------

And I agree with OED27x. Don't beat yourself up. You didn't choose this and your feelings were pure loving. We are just human!!!

#4 Peterpangirl, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2017
  5. JackieScut

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can not believe how similar our experiences are. Thank you for your posts. Peterpangirl, reading your words is like a copy of what is in my head! How can we move forward from this. Is it just time? I thought I was on the way to making sense from all of this and now feel like I'm back to square one! I wish she had messaged earlier to tell me how she felt. I am glad she did contact me. I would never have messaged her first. She wasn't angry, she said it was bothering her and she needed to message.

I have never felt so out of control of my feelings as I have with this. I understand totally about having to deal with new feelings. I realised months ago that although I think I have loved the men I have been with, I have never been in love. I'm sure if I had fallen in love with one of them we may still have been together. I totally fell in love with her. That has scared and upset me so much. I now feel vulnerable. That is a new feeling to me. Not had that before. Upset because I think how many years have I wasted trying to make previous relationships work that probably never stood a chance?

It does come in waves, and it is overwhelming. I know I made a mistake, I know I'm only human and did not mean to hurt her or upset her but I did. I am normally so good and putting things to rest, moving on and not letting anything bother me. I think those days have gone now. I have had 2 weeks off work. I am back tomorrow and think it will do me good. I think I need to keep busy. I am not sure how much more I can cope with this feeling creeping up on me and once it has hit it cripples me! Peterpangirl... does your catalyst know how you feel about her?

6. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey, I didn't mention in my earlier post but I have had depression and anxiety my whole life long. I actually reached out to my dr to increase my dosage bc my marriage, my catalyst, everything was making me spiral downwards. Anxiety, mood swings.
    I get also what you are saying about putting so much time and effort into relationships that didn't work out. Lately i have felt very very comfortable in my skin, accepting my sexuality. Yesterday I realized I was so happy and content in a way I had never been. THEN, my husband and I interact and I spiral down again! We just can NOT talk and it brings me to tears! And I just feel so awful because I have failed at my marriage and how the hell can I realize how much I've put in and it has come to this. I won't go into details o. Our arguments but it makes me feel like no one should dare enter a relationship with me. Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread but I just did want to share that the highs and lows are normal. A lot is happening and it's a lot to process.

7. Confusedhappy

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi there, not to go all Oprah on you but I think you need to forgive yourself on this one. I can understand your feelings of guilt, I can understand your confusion at her waiting four months to let you know how she was feeling but I can also understand why it might have taken her some time. From what you say it sounds like she wants to move on and forget what happened, I think it's up to you to decide if this is what you want, if you can let go of the love you felt for her and still be in touch. That's a really hard one but I really wouldn't beat yourself up anymore about what happened. And now to go all Oprah on you. There's this clip about forgiveness on Oprah and I think it applies just as much to forgiving oneself as it does to forgiving another...forgiveness is about letting go of the hope that the past could have been any different. It's worked for me in work situations and situations where I've been hurt. I cannot change the past but I can change how I look at things that happened to me. If I live with anger or regret, I'm hurting me. What you've been through is a lot to get your head around, the feelings you've had towards her, the way things came out, but let that go and decide for you where you want to go with this and be positive that you can take control. After reading the advice of another I'm all about empowerment and taking control tonight! Mind yourself.

8. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jackiescutt17
    Yes, work is an antidote. Too much time to think and one risks being back in the thick of it. Self reflection is good up to a point, but I, for one, can definitely over think things. Being immersed in something else again will help you regain your sense of perspective. Please don't continue to reproach yourself for telling her how you felt about her. You strike me as being very sincere. If I had been her I might've been shocked, but I think I would've been flattered that someone was openly telling me that they were attracted to me. Where is the wrong in being honest and vulnerable occasionally? Also, in your case you are single - was she? It's not like you continued to harass her afterwards, either. You cannot really blame yourself for HER feelings, surely? About my catalyst, well that's another story...and I'm not going to hijack your thread by attempting to go over it here. What is clear to me, though, is that a part of me has "awakened"and any psychological attempts to disown or subdue it leave me feeling a terrible sense of loss and sadness...It feels rather like just accepting this part of me is meeting a need in me to be fully me. Not resisting the pain is counterintuitively less painful than resisting it , if that makes sense? That is probably very selfish, but that is where I am at, nonetheless.

#8 Peterpangirl, Apr 17, 2017
  9. JackieScut

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really don't mind anyone hijacking my thread and sharing their thoughts. I think I must have hijacked lots of threads. As you can probably tell once I start typing I go on and on and on xx I hate to think of anyone feeling like this and going through such emotional torment, and we all are aren't we? That's why we have all gravitated to this place and thank goodness for this site and all of you, as I am sure I would have had a nervous breakdown by now without it and you.

If I ever ask anyone something that isn't appropriate or you don't want to answer please just ignore me xxx OED27x are you separated or do you still live with your husband? I am single so don't have that added complication (and I couldn't think of another word to use there) I have never been married (my choice) I was asked by each of my 3 serious partners. I have children from each relationship. I was lucky enough to be in a position that when I knew it wasn't working for me I asked them to leave. That sounds cold and hard but that is how it happened. I did try but just could not stand being near someone I knew I didn't love. Sex was only enjoyable (for release only) when I was drunk and on the nights I was sober I would go to bed first and pretend to be asleep. Don't get me wrong. I have never felt pressured for sex and no meant no. So it was just me wanting to be left alone in bed that I would pretend to be asleep. And it was sex. I don't think I could ever describe it as making love.

Someone gave me some advice on here that made sense. To remove my catalyst from my life. To totally end contact, but we are connected by family and I can't do that. I must admit for the first time since this happened I can actually understand how that would help me. OED27x If your husband isn't living with you would you not be able to distance yourself from him. Also how have you failed your marriage. I know I must sound like a hypocrite now saying this but you can not help your feelings. And I know that we have to be true to ourselves and accept those feelings and as you say be totally comfortable in our skin to be able to move forward. I was actually really beginning to feel that way. But now I feel this overwhelming knot of guilt in my stomach at the upset I caused her. If I hadn't of drunk that night I would have said nothing, I wouldn't have touched her and I wouldn't be typing this now. I think I also feel guilty now because I was moving forward, but without realising that she felt so bad. It's like a splinter now throbbing away. I have 2 meetings planned. An LGBT social evening and a full on pub/disco/nightclub event at a very well known large gay venue (I didn't know that when I booked a hotel). It's an hours drive from me and a friend is coming with me for support and we are going to have a drink so will be staying over. I actually feel guilty at having these planned. I know I shouldn't but I do. I was planning going off meeting new people and she was feeling shit!

Confusedbuthappy. I do feel I can let most of the feelings go. At first I was heartbroken and felt that I had lost something... but it was something I didn't have to begin with. I had felt these feelings for 3 years and it was only being drunk that night that made it easy for me to express them. She is married, Happily. No chance of anything happening and I know that, but still I felt that I had an empty space within me. I was coping with that. It was hard and the knot in my stomach that I would get if I happened across a photo of her would twist and remind me of those feelings. I do think what I have now is guilt. I just need to find a way to cope or shift it and I really don't know how. I hope eventually I will be able to let go of all the feelings I have for her but to be honest, I can't imagine ever feeling like this about anyone ever. And I think I will always carry something for her in my heart.

Peterpangirl, I do blame myself for her feelings. It was me that started this. She didn't ask for any of it.

And I do think I understand... I especially about something awakening. I seriously have that feeling, and there is no way I think it is going back to sleep. And it is something that I need to explore.

10. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey there, thought I'd answer your questions: my husband and I plan to separate. We have been living in a highly tense environment for 7 months now. I plan to buy the house and he wants half of the equity - roughly 40k. And he says he won't leave until all of that is worked out. It's irritating because I put down the majority of the down payment through inherentence, but he feels entitled to this so he can buy another house. I'm trying to get a property settlement prepared. It's frustrating because I said I would move and he could stay in the house but he doesn't want to. If I move out he says he is selling g the house. The reason the house is important to me is because we have two young kids. I think their home would provide a lot of comfort and continuity during this time. Not to mention my kids have friends where we live and we have great neighbors.
    If he wasn't here it would be less stressful. This past week I was on a business trip and he went on a personal vacation to a ski resort. My kids stayed with his mom bc it was my sons spring break. Our arguement came up today because I tried to explain that I felt it was unfair that he equate my business trips to his personal vacations. And, of course, he says they are the same thing. To me this is just at so frustrating. Of course at this point it shouldn't be bc we are all but done.
    I feel like I failed my marriage because I can't make the relationship work. For lots of reasons. I know all those reasons aren't my fault. Its just really sad putting so much into something that ends poorly. God and we've been together for so so long.
    My catalyst- i see her all the time. Our sons are in lots of activities together. They are in the same class. I see her in passing dropping my son off at school and we are in the same social circle so there is the get togethers. After she and I developed a close emotional bond, she and I crossed the line twice and our relationship got physical. I have always known I was attracted to women and I have kissed women before, but this was the first time I was really really intimate with a woman and holy shit. It was like a dam broke and all the repressed sexuality just came out. And is still just flowing! I have always been sexual and sensual but this is another level. This is real. So, she and I do have to be friends. I want to be friends. We just can't have the relationship that we once had. I'm ok with that. Oh, and she is getting a divorce now. She made it clear that our relationship needed to just stay friends. She was going through a tough time in her marriage so she was vulnerable to basically developing too close of a connection. But I miss her as a close close friend. Now, it is awkward. It's hard to heal from that becausewe see each other. And she is an amazing person, so great with kids, so interesting. And I am so attracted to her it is embarrassing.
    And of course I do love my husband. He is the father of my kids. But I am not in love with him anymore and I never knew how falling out of love could hurt so bad too.

#10 OED27x, Apr 17, 2017
  11. Confusedhappy

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel for you Jackiescutt and think and hope your feelings about the situation will improve with time and you do need to find a way of dealing with the guilt. It's hard when you've such strong feelings toward this woman, really hard, and maybe right now it's hard to see yourself feeling the same way about another woman but don't rule that out and imagine the kind of love, happiness and contentment you would feel by having that love returned.

12. Poppy43

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You've not done anything wrong Jackie, shes a grown woman and to be messaging someone to say they felt invaded at a pass insnt that kind really. Especially after all this time.
    What did she hope to gain by twisting the knife like that? I'd try really hard to forget her and try to meet some women and see where that goes.

13. JackieScut

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are all so kind and your words have helped so much. Confusedhappy you are right, I do have to find a way of dealing with the guilt. I am in a place now that all I can do is move forward. I feel that even if I tried to ignore what I have discovered about myself it's going to make me ill. I have opened something in me that I have to explore. I was coping with the feelings I had for her, I thought. I think if I had known in the beginning how she felt I could have dealt with that then. But to think she has had these feelings all this time and not said anything made me feel sad for her. Poppy43, thank you x she is a grown woman, and at first she did dismiss it at drunken nonsense. We have a family connection so she will be in my life. She is really a lovely person. She is kind and has helped me and my family so much over the last few years. I developed feelings for her that at first I didn't understand. I didn't understand what they meant... later on I have realised that I hadn't ever felt that way about anyone at all in my entire life!It wasn't until that night that I got really drunk and told her how I felt. She was very surprised but said that she understood that attractions happen, that we can't help who we are attracted to.

I should have stopped drinking then. I seemed to change instantly once I had told her how I felt. It was like a lightswitch had been turned on and in my drunken state I thought, life's too short... and then I did try to take it further. I was in the wrong. I did come on quite strong, she was drunk too so I think it took a few minutes for her to realise what was happening. She stopped it and went home. I know I am human and we are both adults but she is married. happily married and she didn't encourage or do anything to make me feel it was ok to make an advance towards her.

I don't look at it as twisting a knife. I can see how that looks and it is hard to explain fully on here as it's hard to tell the whole connection. I think what OED27x said the other day was right, I think she needed closure. I'm a lot calmer today and have re-read everything that I typed over the last few days and I was really heading to a low place. I feel a bit more balanced today.

I think she did the right thing early on by limiting contact, she had said we were ok and that it was a mistake. I know she did that to help me feel better. After the last message she said that we would forget it all and move on. I am hoping she is able to do this.

On the upside, I have agreed to go to a LGBT meetup on Monday. I already had one arranged for the following weekend and a friend is coming with me for support to that one. But I think I need to take the first step on my own.

I have always been a creature of habit. Same friends, good, solid mates that I love to bits. We tend to stay in the same area when we socialise, and talk about the same stuff. I put in a previous post that I have been finding the evenings out with them a bit of a strain. I feel they are not enough and I need more. Part of that is that I am not sharing with them yet about my feelings, so while they are happily chatting about the comings and goings of day to day life, I am sitting there wanting to shout out I FECKING GAY!!! Not yet, I want my family to know first, and that will not be till I am more settled with myself. I have only come out to one friend. And I have left her alone this week as I think I could easily overwhelm her about these feelings. She would listen, and has always said message if ever I feel low, but again... I think there is only one way forward for me now and that is to widen my social group.

I hate going anywhere alone, so that in itself will be a struggle for me. The bar we are meeting at for the Monday meetup is an hour away by train! But I am determined to go for it. I messaged the group and asked a simple question, which got me an answer and some other members then put messages on there. I was honest and said it was out of my comfort zone and one lady put that she was in a similar position to me. She was building herself up to actually attending her 1st meetup too. Another said it was her first time with this group too and that I could look out for her. The group organiser messaged me and said he was looking forward to meeting me. They all sound so lovely, so why am I so worried.

It's not far off. I am hoping after Monday I will gain some confidence, make some new friends that hopefully I can keep in touch with. If I don't go I won't ever know.

I was never worried before about being lonely. I was quite happy being without a partner, thought that was how my life would be... not now. I would love to meet someone that I can share my life with. I'm not thinking that is going to happen soon. It has been so long since I was with anyone. 17 years!! I need to just find out who I really am. And hopefully I will find that. And I think all of you are going to be bored with all my updates during that journey. It's such a shame all us EC members can't have a get together (admin I am joking, just a nice thought though) You really are an incredible bunch of people and I thinks it's really strange how I feel so connected to you all Add to dictionary.

All that said, I feel more alive now than I ever have. I think I have lived a shallow life. My children are everything to me and I think as my hands on mum days spread over 30 years I didn't have much time for me. I had my first child at 19 and my last at 34, so it did last a long time. I think the fact that over the last 2 years they no longer need me as much has also added to this new found me. It's funny isn't it. You think you are just dealing with one things and all these other emotions, feelings and reasons start coming to the surface. I really feel like a multi layered volcano at the moment.

And I have done it again. Look how much has spewed from my fingers?

OEDX27x thank you for sharing that, you are such an amazing mum to keep it all together for your kids. And I think it wouldn't matter where you decided to live, in the house you are in now or a new home without your husband in the picture it wouldn't matter. You are an incredible mum and a very brave women xxxx

14. Bluenote

Jackie, you have inspired me yet again! I'm finding such support and inspiration in your posts. Thank you. And I agree with the others that you need to be forgiving with yourself. You cannot control your friend's reaction and emotion. You are doing your best to live your life honestly - and that is so powerful.

I too feel that I have lived a shallow life - such is that of a mother who has been dedicated to her children - sometimes to the detriment of her own happiness and wellbeing. I'm taking this time to reflect for the first time in my 50 some years about how I have always been attracted to women, and yet I buried this so deep. I'm sure I was so focused on the kids, that I never allowed myself and my needs to come to the surface. Now, after my "awakening" in January, it's all at the surface, and I'm still trying to understand how to deal. I agree with multi-layered volcano - as I 've been having the highs and lows too! It must be part of coming to terms with a "new side" of ourselves.

I am, unlike you, married, and although I told my husband of my "awakening", he is busy with his work, and I think waiting for it to wear off. It's not going to wear off - but I don't know how I'm going to do this.

Wishing we could grab a beer and talk about this like friends do, cuz I think we could have a lot to talk about. Thanks for connecting with all of us - and good luck with your meetup!

15. JackieScut

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bluenote, a beer sounds mighty fine. Mine would be a pint! I think it would be great x awakening is a good word. Something stirs doesn't it and there is no putting it back to sleep!

Your husband won't be able to ignore it forever. I think the feeling within us gets stronger and stronger wanting us to explore and find out where it wants to take us.

This started for me last August. The first few months was me trying to stop feeling sick and crying. I made out it was menopause as my kids thought I had flipped! Then it was the beginning of the ups and downs. Which have carried on. I then came out to a friend earlier this year. Well, that was an awesome feeling. I felt like a weight had been lifted and she is so supportive. I felt like I was superwoman with these new super powers. Not long after that I thought to myself 'what am I thinking' I'm 52, I can't start popping off to other towns meeting people I don't know!

After a chat with my friend she inspired me again. She said life is too short and if there is a chance of happiness out there grab it! So I arranged a meetup and she said she would come with me. Then my catalyst got in touch and I felt like I had gone right back to the beginning again. Around this time a lady I used to work with had a stroke and passed away. She had turned 50 the week before. Never smoked or drank. Was fit and healthy and bang! Life over. My friend said to me... see, life is too short. You have to make every second count! She's right.

Now I feel calmer. And have arranged to go to another meetup before the originally arranged one. And on my own??? What I think I'm trying to say is that each time something happens that makes me feel really low, I seem to grow a bit more determined to do something else. My mum used to say 'what doesn't kill you makes you stronger' I never took much notice of that saying but now it really makes me think! You get knocked down but you have something in you that makes you get up and keep going. Bluenote I went off track a bit there as I was trying to say that soon you will want to be exploring and your husband will have to face up to it that you have changed. And from how I feel and what I have read of others in the same situation, once you have had this 'lightswitch/awakening' moment... there is no going back. No rewind button. I for one don't want to. I hope he listens to you soon xxxx

16. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Jackie,
    I can tell you are really struggling with some guilt around the night when you admitted your feelings to this woman. And I want to reiterate what others have said here--you did nothing wrong. You expressed your feelings, that's all. Her reaction is not your stuff to own. Not your burden to carry. You took a risk (and yes, I get that the alcohol made it easier!) and let your feelings be known-the feelings weren't reciprocated on this particular occasion, with this particular woman, BUT that doesn't mean having these feelings or sharing them was wrong.

As someone else pointed out, this woman is an adult. You didn't attempt to push her into anything or anything like that. She has her own feelings on the night which of course she is entitled to-- and she has expressed those to you in your recent messages. After doing that she made the suggestion you just forget about it and move on. I think this is the way to go now--you have beat yourself up enough about this enough already. AND--lets not lose sight of the good that came from the whole experience. That night (no matter how it turned out) was really your turning point...starting you on this path that feels right for you! And that is certainly not a bad thing!

But regarding the title of your thread, 'depression'--it really is such an emotional roller coaster isn't it? It's like in some ways I feel so much better about myself, so much more confident, and calm, and happy with myself. And yet the flip side of the feeling better is this feeling of regret, of not being true to myself earlier in life--of time wasted, roads not taken, reflection on my life etc. etc. These thoughts sometimes take over, and my emotions seem overwhelming. I tried explaining it to my therapist the other day as, 'it's like the better I feel the worse I feel.' Not sure if that makes sense! But I can go days being quite okay---and then NOT.

It IS too bad that all of us late in lifers don't live in the same city (or country for that matter!) Because it would be nice to get together over drinks and talk--we are all having such similar experiences/emotions-- and at the same age. It would be nice to be able to support each other IRL! But I guess EC is the next best thing, and we are lucky too have it. I suppose at least I can have a drink sitting here in my living room while checking out EC! :slight_smile:

17. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Jackie, girl, I grabbed a beer, cheers to you, and will tell you my story of how I made a pass at my friend. Hopefully in hearing this you may feel less guilty when you see we ALL have experiences we are not proud of. And I get that you feel guilty. This woman means a lot to you and it pains you to know you have caused her distress. Hopefully now that she has had closure you can continue to move on.

So, back to the story I like to call, how I fucked up, realized I was gay, ruined my friendship, my kids friendships, and my marriage. :slight_smile: not the best title but....you get the picture.

My marriage was leaving me emotionally and physically unsatisfied. Without even thinking about it, I developed a very intense emotional relationship with a friend. She was gorgeous, smart, complex. Her son and my son became best friends. We became confidants. I realized I was truly truly attracted to her. I had fallen hard. I was shocked at myself.

One night after drinking a lot, we were watching a movie and we were spooning on the couch. The kids were laying on the floor. Her husband was in the recliner chair next to us. We were really drunk. She was playing with my hair. I then made a pass at her and started rubbing her leg. With her husband right there!! She didn't stop me and let it continue and started doing the same to me. Anyway, her husband went to bed, we put the kids to bed upstairs, and then we had an intimate night (that part remains private ;-))

Her husband found out - but she said it was just a kiss. My husband found out. The shit hit the fan. She made it clear she just wanted to be friends. She got separated from her husband due to other factors.

A couple months later we went out. She was very distraught because her marriage was failing. She has had a series of bad relationships. This is where I get ashamed about my story. In the middle of all her hurt, I came on to her again! I held her hand. I tried to kiss her. She stopped me. I said, you don't want this? She said no, she was broken. She was crying. I remember her crying and what did I do? I came over to her again, charmed her, turned her on, and we made out.

The next morning I felt like such an asshole. I texted and she was upset with me. I called and apologized for taking advantage of her when she was in a vulnerable state.

As time went on, my husband got more and more upset that I cheated (rightly so). He threatened to tell everybody we knew that she and I were intimate. She ended up having to change her facebook privacy settings so he couldn't find her. She is not allowed over to my house. Our kids are affected because we don't do play dates unless another mom is there. My relationship with her is now strained. I'm hoping we will be able to rebuild but it will take time. And my husband and I are getting separated. So, there ya go girl.

Life can be messy. We are just trying the best we can.

18. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For what it's worth, when you really truly have such strong feelings towards someone on all levels - not just physical - it is extremely hard NOT to make some sort of physical gesture...I remember when something got spilt on the floor and my catalyst stooped down to wipe up the mess. I thought that she has the most graceful, expressive hands I have ever seen. Not the sort of hands that have painted nails, but what I would regard as artist's hands and I had an extreme longing to grab her hand and tell her that I would clear it up. If eyes were capable of of burning a hole through something just by looking, my eyes would have burnt a hole in her hand right then. I did NOT grab her hand, but later, after she had poured her heart out to me on various things and I had listened, when she said goodbye I held onto her upper arm for a moment, so great was my desire to touch her...If I had been under the influence of alcohol at the time like you and OED27x, I would've done something a whole lot more embarrassing than this, of that I have no doubt!!!

#18 Peterpangirl, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  19. JackieScut

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OED27x Thank you xx That's how I am going to try and think now,
    'I fucked up' And after reading all of your comments and you sharing all your experiences I can see I really do have to work on myself now and get to a stage that I can move on. I do want to. I will just give myself a kick on the bum and try x I hope you can rebuild the friendship with your friend. And it is embarrassment isn't it... not just guilt. And I am also going to try and think that something could have come out of it, and if we don't try we would never know would we?

And from our experience we have now become our true selves. x

#19 JackieScut, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  20. OED27x

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Jackie girl, I would say I fucked up in the aftermath, I handled my relationship with my husband poorly, I pushed my friend's boundaries- emotionally and physically, I began a series of events that ultimately cost a lot of people a lot of heartache. It is a lot to deal with; however, I would caution you to say you fucked up. You developed feelings, took a chance, perhaps made your friend extremely uncomfortable. It's embarrassing to open up ourselves and expose these vulnerabilities. It's embarrassing when we take things to far. I am trying to consider that the reality is, life brings to us circumstances and situations which we handle the best way we know how to at that time. Nothing we did was malicious in its intent and if we can get over the shame and guilt, god willing, we may become better people for it. Cause it happened. We cannot go back and make it un-happen.