1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recoming out

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Ronintroy, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Ronintroy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am a 60 year old man. Who has always been attracted to men. I experienced gay sex for real when I was 16 and I loved it. From then on I lived a mostly gay life style. When I was 20 I meet and fell in love with a man. We moved in together. We were very much in love. While working out of town he was killed in a car crash. I vowed to never be with a man again, and I haven't. A clp years later I meet a very nice woman and we were married for almost 30 years till she passed away a few years ago. When I had to think about who I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. Because I had spent the last 30 a woman. I naturally picked a woman. I meet a very nice woman and we are now living together. We have been together for 2 and half years. However over the past 6 months, I have had this growing feeling inside. At first I didn't know what it was. As time as past, that feeling has grown. To the point I know what it is. It's a urge, want, need to be with a man again. But to just do that is a problem, because of the woman I love with. She would be devastated if she knew. Because she has health issue. My opportunity to meet or even talk to someone who may understand and offer suggestions. I tried national, state and local offices of LGBT to try to find someone I can talk to. But I keeped being told sorry can't help you. Finally someone from the UK gave me your link. If someone has any suggestions that I maybe able to use. I sure would be greatful.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, you can exchange thoughts and ideas with other members on EC, so welcome to a safe place!

Many have similar stories as you, so I am sure you can get quite a bit out of exchanging ideas with others here.

Like you, I explored my same sex attractions when I was younger only to go in the closet after a failed relationship. I married and am now divorced after Having a catalyst moment back in 2012. That's when I decide to reintroduce myself to my true sexuality. It's been a journey with lots of ups and downs, but I have come out the other side happy to have embraced my sexuality.

Please keep posting!

3. Ronintroy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you. I have so long to be able to talk about this to someone. Who understands what I am going through. The way the living situation is,I do not even have anyone in my life that I can even say in a open voice. That I want to be with a man again, without starting a Firestorm of hurt to others. As I sit here in total silence, feeling like I am drowning in a sea of emotion while being torn apart inside. Not know what to do. Cuz not wanting to hurt others. But knowing that if I am not with a man soon I will lose my mind.

---------- Post added 28th Apr 2017 at 02:14 PM ----------

You have no idea how nice it is to finally find someplace when I feel like I am not alone. And can say what I am thinking without feeling like if it's gets out or she finds out before I find a way to handle it.

4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ronintroy....So glad that you found emptyclosets. I know that there are a lot of folks here who will listen to you and do their best to help and support you. They certainly have for me. I'm a little different than you in that I never did have the gay experience when I was young....just too scared. So I stayed in the closet for 55 years until a crisis in 2014 that started me on the path that has led me to self-acceptance. I am still married to my wife of 38 years. I felt, as you do, that coming out would only cause hurt and disaster. After a lot of help from a therapist and much self-examination, I have come out to my wife. She has accepted me and we are now working our way through what it means to both of us. I do understand how you feel about telling your partner...it's tough when so much inside of you wants to just burst out and yet you feel that if you do it will just make things worse. There are many of us here that are going through or have gone through the same thing. Share your thoughts and emotions/feelings with us and let us help you handle the stress and the weight. Sharing a burden always divides it and makes it easier to bear. There are many here who will do their best to help so that you can catch your breath and have time to make good choices rather than choices made under such terrible pressure....Thinking of you daily....David

5. Ronintroy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you David. I am so glad too lol. You hit it right on the head. In that it feels like this urge what's to burst from inside out , screaming as it does I want to be with a man.

Thank you

6. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ronintroy....Hey, I'm glad that any little thing that I or say or any of us here say helps! One really important thing...especially right now...don't hold things in until they do blowup!:bang:

If you've no one to talk with there where you live, then talk to us! We will listen and do our best to help. If you can find a therapist...that really did save my life...I'm quite serious....I had no one to talk to, EC helped a lot, but I desperately need to talk to another person, not just the computer. If you can't find one locally or it just doesn't work out to leave your partner to go see one, then check out the ones that are on line now. I have talked to an online therapist and it actually really did help. There are several websites that have online therapists for $35-$50 a week, usually unlimited text/chat. I could even setup phone calls with mine. If you are interested let me know and I think it's ok to share the website with you. I'll ask if it's ok. Anyway...the point is...don't let it build up! Share with us or someone before the pressure hits crisis level.....Take Care....David

7. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Ronintroy, that place you are at right now, was the same exact place I was at on March 16th, 2013, after having a catalyst moment six months prior. When I got to this point, I spent the weekend reflecting on my life, on my happiness, and rationalizing what would happen if I embraced my sexuality and decided to live life as I was supposed to, as a gay man. I read people's posts on EC (not a member myself at that point), I thought about my family and the impact on them, I thought about my career and the prospect of loosing what I worked for, but most importantly, I thought about my happiness.

As the sun rose the next morning after spending the night awake, and as I was looking out thr window towards a beautiful mountain landscape basking in the light from the morning sun (this image is now permenantly reflected as a tattoo on my body), I said to my self outloud "I am Gay". Immediately, a massive weight seemed to have lifted off my shoulders. I knew what I needed to do from there on out.

Fast forward to today, while damage occurred, I believe I mitigated it as much as possible and left everyone around me in a place where they are able to continue with their lives free of the emotional wall I created while in the closet.

Life changes did occur, but they all have been for the positive. My priorities in life have changed, I look at the world so much differently. I appreciate the small things in life like I never have before. Every day I now wake up void of anger and in its place happiness.

We only get one chance in this world, might as well live it to be the fullest individual that we are able to be.

#7 OnTheHighway, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  8. Ronintroy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just being able to get it out in the open, and tell others who know how I am feeling has help. To David yes I would be interested in those web sites if u can give them to me. However a phone call is out right now. Cuz she is very seldom out of ear shot. Even when she is sleeping. As it is as I write this she is sit just a few feet away. That is what I am so afraid of. That I will just blow up. Leaving a wake of hurt in it's path, and that's the last thing I want to do. But I know if I do nothing, then that is what will happen.

---------- Post added 29th Apr 2017 at 04:54 AM ----------

To on the highway. Thank you. I cannot express how nice it is to know that I can always come here. To find and get the support, and help that I have so desperately been looking for.

9. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ronintroy....I sent a message to the EC staff to confirm that it's ok to send you the website info. As soon as I hear from them I'll get back to you. So sorry that you are being kind of "smothered" but it may be that she just feels better when you are around. I realize that doesn't make anything easier for you, but understanding it may make it simpler to work it out when the time comes to change your relationship. I am certainly no councilor, but it seems to me that you can not continue in the situation/relationship that you are currently in. Hopefully a councilor or a therapist will be able to help you find the way to accomplish that with a minimum of emotional damage to everybody involved. Sometimes, however, change will happen no matter what we do. So it is best to put yourself in the position of being able to at least "guide" the change to the best outcome-least hurtful solution.......David

10. Ronintroy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know she isn't trying to smother me, and I really do care about her. It's just so like being torn into two different direction at the same time. That it feels like I am being torn apart. I hope the EC staff say it ok. But even if they don't maybe you could tell me what serch pramiters that you used, to find one.

Thanks David

11. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ronintroy...I'm sure you could find some websites that offer therapists online just by googling for them. What I wanted to do is send you the website of one that I know is legit and not impossibly expensive, because I've used it. I wouldn't send someone to a counseling site unless I knew for sure that it was ok!!!.... David

12. Ronintroy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know you wouldn't David. I would rather use the one you did. Cuz I know it's good. Rather then do a search for one a just pick one blind. Not knowing if they are legit or not. I can't believe how much just find EC and being able to tell someone how I feel has help. The pressure inside has lesson. I don't feel like I am about to explode lol I can't thank you anof for your help.

Ron

13. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ronintroy....I can believe every word about EC helping and about sharing will take some of the pressure off. EC is what got me through the first few months after I finally accepted myself. It was rough and without EC....well, like you at that point I had no one...NO.ONE. I could talk to. I was desperate and EC helped pull me through. Hang in there we will all help as much as we can...you do have friends here!!....David

---------- Post added 29th Apr 2017 at 07:33 PM ----------

Ronintroy......Oh yeah....good night! :slight_smile: ...David

14. Ronintroy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is oh so cool to know that I am not alone. That someone cares, after trying to get help from my national, state, and local LBGT offices and being told no one can help unless I could go there I was SOL. I was starting to feel like no one gave a crap. One did give me a link to a therapist. But they wanted like $ 100 and they would charge my insurance for it . That's fine if I had insurance that would cover it, but I don't lol the state I live in says the I get $200 a mounth to much in my disability check to get state coverage. So I have to pay for my insurance. Which has very limited coverage. I got to the point I was starting to lose any hope of finding help. I am so grateful that I contacted one person who gave me the EC link.

---------- Post added 30th Apr 2017 at 12:42 AM ----------

And good night to you too

15. Ronintroy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    David if you see this ? The woman I am living with, the living situation the way it is we spend almost 27/7 together. Well has of course noticed that my mind has been occupied with something. She keeps asking, but of course I don't want to say what it is. Least till it's time I know it's coming, but why rush it. Well I told her I just need so space. Well it seems like sence I said that, she's doing everything she can to smother me more. Today right now I just want to get and walk out, and go to my local gay bar. Just let the hurt fall were it may. I know this because of what else is going or, maybe I am just looking for a reason.

16. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ronintroy....Hey Hi, I'm back. 24/7 with anybody can start to be a problem. My wife and I have been married for 38 years, but I still need my alone time, even if it's just in my basement office and she leaves me alone. As I said before, it sounds to me like there is going to have to be a change. Your description of things makes it sound likes she doesn't want any changes. She may be sensing you pulling away...that can make people hold on even harder. If I don't hear from the EC moderator's in a negative way by tomorrow, I will send you the info about the counseling site that I know is good. Hope today goes well.....David

17. Ronintroy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you David. That maybe it. It's just it seams like if I don't do something soon. That coming change will happen as a result of a explodtion. Of words that will only end up hurting​ more then solving the issue. I do care for her very much. But I don't know how long I can live in a situation that I believe maybe the worng one. Or pretending that I am one way when I am not. I so hope the moderator,'s say it's ok. .....Ron

18. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ronintroy....Hey Ron! Hope you're having a good day. I haven't heard anything from the EC peeps so here is the info: Betterhelp.com. They have several different rate plans that you can choose from. You fill out an information form that's not too complicated and they "match" you with a therapist. At first I wasn't sure that my match would be good, as I wanted to talk to a guy and they matched me with a woman...but she (Mary Lee Palmer) turned out to be great! I really hope this helps. If you can use the computer, but can't really get away from your partner, then this might be the solution, at least for now. Good luck!....David

19. Ronintroy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi David, I will contact them today. I was thinking about this whole situation. I was wondering, it's been like 35-36 years sence I've been with a man. I do enjoy sex with her, and I did with my late wife, could it be that I am more bi then gay ? I know it may sound strange, I don't want to come out as gay and end this relationship with her if I don't have to. Do you think that maybe I should find someone to have gay sex with. Before I make any life changes. That would at least tell me if I am or not. To sit here and think of being with a man again, so excites and turns me on. But why open a can of worms if I don't have to. I really would like to know what you, and others think.
    Thank you for your help David

20. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ronintroy...Hey Ron....a very good, but tricky question! :bang: There is no doubt that some people are bi, but there is also another possibility that you might want to consider before you take any serious action. I try to remind myself that many things, once done, can never be undone! Here is the other possibility....Sexuality is not black & white, gay or straight, or even gay, straight or bi. It is what is often called a "Spectrum". The Kinsey scale is often used to point this out. You can take the Kinsey Sexuality Test online...it's pretty easy to find. You just answer a few questions as honestly as you can. The scale goes from 1-6. One is a totally heterosexual person, 6 is a totally homosexual person. When I take the test, I always come out a 5...homosexual with some heterosexual tendencies. That is why I was able to hide for so long and be married, be intimate with my wife and have children. Although I must admit that being intimate with my wife was very difficult and probably only possible because I did want children so very much. You see you may not be bisexual, you may just be somewhere on that "Spectrum" line without being all the way to one end or the other. This is not to say that you can't be bisexual, it certainly is possible. I just think it would be good to check out the Kinsey test/scale and talk to a therapist...if at all possible...before you go looking for a "hook-up" to test your self to see if you can still have relations with a guy....that's one of those things that once done can't be undone!!:dry: Think about it and try to talk to someone....as I said this is where a gay-affirming therapist would be a huge help. It's a big step, and one that you may decide to take, but doing it after investing some thought and especially planning will help you make much better choices....David :icon_bigg