1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed!!!!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Soulstone, May 5, 2017.

1. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Help, I really need your advice. I don't know what to do. Long story short - I'm in love with my friend and I know she has feelings for me too. At first I thought it was just sexual, but now I know I want a real relationship with her. The problem is, we are both in heterosexual relationships at the moment and it would take a lot of courage to make this change. I know she wants me too, but she is too afraid to leave her man. I understand her, but at the same time I really want to be with her. I guess I'm the crazy one in our relationship. I realize it will not be easy and fast transition, but I am willing to try. She on the other hand is the one in doubt. She desperately wants to be "normal", and she is putting enormous effort into her relationship with her man, but she doesn't seem happy. So I don't know what to do. My intuition tells me to wait until she is ready. On the other hand- is there anything I can say or do to speed up the process?? I know she wants me. How can I convince her? Is it even possible?

2. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You both need to come out and either end or open your respective relationships before starting a new relationship with each other.

#2 SiennaFire, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, I can understand how frustrating your situation is. Have you ever sat down with her and openly discussed it?

4. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    SiennaFire

I know!!! The problem is I am willing to at least discuss it, but she isn't. She still hopes it's a phase and will pass. I guess it hurts me a bit on some level that she is ashamed of what she feels towards me.

silverhalo

We have talked about it many times. The problem is she is in very deep denial. Sometimes she opens up, usually after couple glasses of wine, and tells me how she feels, but when she suddenly shuts up completely and denies everything. I understand why she acts like that, but at the same time it hurts my feelings. We have slept together for several times and every time she seemed to really enjoy it, but the next morning I have to listen to the same story - that she is not gay, she does not understand why she wants me, that she wants to have a traditional family etc. I just don't know what to do.

#4 Soulstone, May 5, 2017
  5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww im sorry.

I think perhaps first and foremost you should look at your situation. You haven't spoken much about your partner apart from to say you are in a relationship. I can only assume you are not crazy head over heels in love with him if you are sleeping with your friend on the side (I am assuming this is simultaneously) so I think my advice would be to decide whether or not you want to continue that relationship. If the answer is yes then thats cool but you should probably stop sleeping with your friend. If the answer is no then I think the first step should be to end your current relationship. I know this isnt easy and its scary but if you are not 100% in your current one then its the best for both of you to step away from it.
    I would like to say seeing you take that bold step in your life might encourage your friend to do the same, but nobody can say whether it will or wont. I kind of feel that at the moment she has what she wants, the heterosexual normality and you on the side so from her point of view why change what isnt broken.
    Long term I think you are going to only cause yourself heartbreak.

6. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with what silverhalo has posted. Your friend is stuck in the questioning phase, and you are setting yourself up for frustration wishing that you can change how your friend feels and behaves. She will come out when she's ready, and trying to apply pressure to accelerate this will risk the friendship.

You can control your own behavior. If you want to date women, then you certainly can make that happen, though dating your friend is likely a longer-term play.

#6 SiennaFire, May 5, 2017
  7. Whoami33

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi, don't know if this helps but I realised I was gay when I fell in love with my friend, we were both in straight relationships with kids. I ended my relationship and I'm working hard to build an authentic life for myself, she is still in her relationship and completely miserable. I've started to move on from her and see other women now as it became excruciating just hanging on and waiting. Maybe something will happen in future but for now she has to sort herself out herself - I've realised this. My road of leaving my partner and building a new life is so hard but I'd rather be taking it than be stuck in something my heart isn't in. But that's my story, and we're all different :slight_smile: I hope you figure out what's best for you/your friend/your partners.

8. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for sharing your story! :kiss: I know we are all different, but I guess there is not much I can do in current situation. My decision is to face the person I am and then move on from that. I have accepted myself, I don't feel ashamed of who I am. She on the other hand wants to click her heels three times and make her "gayness" disappear. I can't help her, because she doesn't want to even talk about it.

---------- Post added 5th May 2017 at 11:36 PM ----------

You are absolutely right. Deep down I know that, just needed to hear it from someone else :kiss:

---------- Post added 5th May 2017 at 11:42 PM ----------

Me and my current partner live pretty much our separate lives. It's ok with me, he is very nice and in my own twisted way I love him. I think I could live with him, we get each other. He knows I'm bi, so he also understands I might fall in love with another woman as well as another man - gender doesn't matter to me. He is very traditional and doesn't consider sex between two women cheating. It's me who actually sees it as cheating..Because I know it's real. But you are right - I have to figure out what I want first.

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's easy to become comfortable especially in such a free and laid back relationship to yours and sometimes stepping out of the comfort zone isn't easy or something we take lightly.
    Have you even been with or fallen for another woman other than your friend?

10. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are right- I feel quite comfortable in my current relationship, but I am willing to explore and leave my comfort zone for someone special. But my problem is mg special person is not willing to do the same.
    As for your question- yes, I have been with other women and it was good, but it feels different with my friend..

11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly wish I had the answer for you or a magic wand to wave over your friend haha as I am sure you do.
    You have a complete connection with your friend and there is no substitute for that but unfortunately you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink.
    There is a small part of me that wonders what would happen if you said to your friend that you respect her decision that she sees herself as straight and that you would never want to stop your friendship but that being with a woman, as in relationship and all is something you want to investigate further. Absence makes the heart grow stronger so they say haha. Im not saying you should, or that it would work, just sharing the ramblings of my mind really.

12. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It might work since we always tend to want what we can't have..

13. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha absolutely, chocolate and ice cream always always.

I also think you deserve to be happy, and if she doesnt want to take a risk on you I am sure there are many others who would love to. Although I obviously understand that right now she is the one you want :slight_smile:

14. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe I just want what I can't have? I have thought about it, you know..What if I only want her because she seems unavailable? I know there is no answer to that, but this thought crossed my mind.

15. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe, but then you kind of half have her. I know not entirely.

You have her friendship and you have slept together but you still desire to be in a relationship with her. What is it you feel you would gain if you both committed solely to one another?

16. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know. I guess what I want is for her to admit that she feels the same way I do. I mean I know she does, but I guess I want some kind of confirmation.I am tired that she backs out of it all the time and I never know which day if is - the day she wants me or the day she wants to forget it all.
    I guess I want to be sure she wants me, it is a bit humiliating to be pushed away constantly..

#16 Soulstone, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
  17. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I get it, and I think you deserve it.

I think it all boils down to a difficult decision. I think the only thing you can do is control the things you have control of and that is yourself.

I mean the first question is are you happy for things to continue the way they are? If the answer is be with her like this or not be with her at all which would you chose?
    I know you arent completely happy but I also get the feeling that over time you will get increasingly frustrated and hurt by the situation. Its like the longer the intimacy goes on the more and more you become attached to her and the deeper your feelings grow which then just makes the decision harder and harder.

18. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To be honest, I don't know. I want to keep her in my life. I also know she loves me, at least as friend. I know it's difficult for her too, and I understand she is different and not as open person as I am. What I don't know is what to do.

---------- Post added 7th May 2017 at 04:58 AM ----------

silverhalo

Thank you for talking to me. I feel really lonely sometimes because of this situation. I just feel that she is building the wall between us and if Inam complete honest with myself, I think I need her more than she needs me..

19. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anytime, I am just sorry I cant actually be any help.

Maybe or maybe she is just better at hiding it, or keeping it inside. I guess thats the problem we dont really know what is going on inside her head. If we did it would make all of these decisions so much easier.
    Have you thought anymore about going to an LGBT group?

20. Soulstone

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, she has told me many times how important I am to her, but then she can go weeks without calling me and be fine. Or not - I don't know. I suspect she does have feelings for me, but she doesn't want to have those feelings. She wants to be "normal" and am standing in a way of that. Every time something happens between us ( I never initiate that), she feels like she needs to forget everything quickly. That makes me feel stupid, because I would at least acknowledge the fact and then figure out what to do together. Ok, I guess I am going in circles here:bang: