1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling better

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by JackieScut, May 7, 2017.

1. JackieScut

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Over the last year I have been caught up in a whirlwind of emotions and confusion about coming to terms with who I am. Since admitting to myself that I am gay I thought that I had begun to become a different person. After chatting on here to some of my lovely EC friends it became clear from something one of them said that I am not becoming someone else I am unwrapping who I really am. This was so true.

It has been and is still to a certain extent the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. From the beginning, falling in love with a woman, not expected and not reciprocated... realising that it was actually the first time I had properly been in love, the situation, who she was... nothing was easy and it turned my world upside down, as I knew then my life had changed for ever!

I had some serious highs as the new found feelings I had developing inside me were easily accepted and welcomed. I love this new exclusive club I have been accepted into. The meetings I have been to I have enjoyed and will be going again. The nightclub I got totally drunk in was somewhere I felt so at home. Everyone there just wanted to have fun, be happy and make friends. I loved it. And no one cared that this 52 year old woman was bopping the night away next to people half her age.

I have in the last week or so told 2 more friends. That left me feeling very vulnerable but I think this is all part of a process and the feeling is passing now. I feel a bit awkward when going out on my regular Friday meal night with my straight mates. 2 know, the rest are unaware of what I have been going through. But I will tell them soon.

Last night I had my best straight mate round with her 2 teenagers for a get together for my sons birthday. We drank too much and had a really good evening. My youngest son thought it was hilarious that I went away for the weekend to the most well known gay town. We chatted about this and about gay people and did he know anyone that was gay etc etc. He went into his room and I followed him in. I told him. It came out so easy and so quick. "I'm gay, don't ask me any details, but I just need you to know so I can be me" His reply.. "OK , whatever" So with that I went up to my older sons room and told him. And he was cool too. Then it was downstairs and I told my friends children.

I feel normal this morning. I don't feel I have to shut my laptop when they bring me a cup of tea. When I go to my next meetup I will not have to make out it is with someone from work. I can just be me.

I haven't been posting on here as much as I first did when I joined EC. Most of my posts had been needing support and advice but I wanted to post this today, to share for anyone else that feels like there is no hope at feeling better, that they don't think there will be a light at the end of the tunnel... that you are on your own with the confusing feelings you have. Don't give up on here. Stay on EC and chat and talk and eventually you will get to a better place and you will feel better. You will realise that you are not on your own. You will work through it. it is hard and you will have incredible highs and some fecking awful lows but each one passes and when it does a little more of the real you will emerge, stronger and wiser and more determined to become who you really are and start to enjoy your life.

I am still very nervous about what is to come... if anything? But I am moving forward now, not going back... there is no going back. I love you all EC members xx

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We love you too. Every EC member is special and unique and has their own journey which is no easier or harder than anyone elses and equally important.
    I am so pleased you were able to come out to your children and friends children and that everything went so well. I am sure there are some great times ahead for you.

3. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm really glad you felt able to share this information about yourself with various key people, Jackiescutt17. I bet you feel lighter for that. X

4. charly4410

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey jackiescutt, it’s so nice to hear that coming out to your children went well! I think children, when they’re a bit older or grown up, can be very good at sensing what is good for you and what makes you happy.
    I remember when I told my children that I was dating a woman. I was a bit nervous that night. I prepared a special family dinner and then needed some courage, and what can I say… it turned out really well. The kids were so open and curious and accepting. That was two years ago and now they all like her tremendously and have accepted her into the family.
    It was like the first step but the most important one for me.
    Enjoy the feeling of not having to shut the laptop and being who you are!!!!

5. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are all inspirational peeps!!! Your stories will undoubtedly help many people on this site.

May we all find the courage you have shown.

6. SarahLee

Your story is inspiring and I admire you! I haven't been able to tell anyone other than a couple of lesbian friends. I'm from an older time and still don't want the loss of some of the people I've known all my life who assume I'm hetero. I was never hetero but no one knew except me. I did it to be accepted. If I were younger, I would have come out in junior high school as they do today and led a happy life with a woman I loved. You're very fortunate, jackiescutt!

7. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You have made some great strides over the past few months--and I can tell that coming out to others had made you feel centered and stronger--proud of you!!:eusa_danc So interesting too how your sons had no problem with this 'new' information. I do think the younger people are more accepting of the life paths of others. Older people (much older than us) are the ones who seem to make a big deal out of such revelations.

And I sure needed to read your post at this time, because oh my...the highs and the very difficult lows of all this!!! I have been in that very, 'no light at the end of the tunnel', mode.

It is wonderful to finally know and acknowledge who I am/my sexuality--and to even be able to celebrate it. But still, I am so missing my ex-girlfriend, I feel so lonely, she was my best friend too. The one to celebrate the victories of life, the one to keep me in check with my negative self talk...my partner in crime in walking through the world. And now I don't have that girlfriend OR best friend. Two huge vacancies in my life--two gaping holes (more like open wounds) in my world.

Sigh.....And yet I know I am the captain of my own ship here, and I am aware that lately I have been steering my boat in a bad direction (tending toward isolation, missing social opportunities, getting caught in my thoughts.) Your post reminds me that we can all get off course--but we can also right the direction of our ship too--we all have the capacity to do this! I even know what I need to do to get in a forward moving direction, but doing it at times seems just too overwhelming and scary. And I also know that sometimes if the best I can do is get up and shower, get my hair and make-up done and make it through the work day, thats okay--as long as I don't stay stuck there. Your words ring true--as each low passes we will emerge stronger.

I am so nervous about what is to come too...actually downright scared. With the worst fear being that my loneliness will continue for a lifetime! That I will never be able to celebrate this 'new' me with another woman ever again...Meanwhile you have reminded me to keep coming to EC, that this is my tribe--the late in lifers who understand the process of all this.

At any rate, it's now 6am here, so time for that shower, make-up, hair process to make it through the workday:rolle: As much as a pain in the ass work is (and it is) AT LEAST it keeps me out of my own head for eight hours!

8. Bluenote

Thanks to all of the folks here on EC - you guys really do help me make it through the day. Jackie, I 'm so proud of you and happy for you! You are a real example for me, and I take strength in every step you go forward.

And Moonsparkle, thanks for the pep talk to yourself as it applies to me too. I AM the captain of my own ship here and I too tend to isolation, and getting stuck in my head. I too can get out to mingle and hang out around my community and get myself in a moving forward direction. I want to thank you all for sharing yourselves online here - it's really helping me figure things out. I feel like I've got real friends who know me here.

9. JackieScut

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello lovelies... I was wondering where you all were! I missed you all xxxx I have been coming on most nights but it seems to have slowed down. When I started on here there were a group of us that all seemed to have such similar things going on. I have grown accustomed to chatting on here and sharing with all of you. I know we are all adjusting and getting to new places/stages in our lives, but I do love my EC buddies. I have even deactivated my FB as my interest has totally gone with it! This is my new FB.

I am still on the upper part of a good mood. I have still have the feeling now and then that a 'low' could be coming but it hasn't hit as hard as previous lows have.

I normally go out on a Friday night but last week I felt so out of touch with the whole evening. It was hard. I chatted to my straight mate about this and how my Friday night friends seem so quiet now. At closing time they are off, and I am still ready for more. My straight mate text me back today. I was trying to get her to go somewhere a bit livelier with me this Friday. She sent me this message. It has really made me think. Moving forward is the only thing I can do now. I can't stay the same. I keep trying to fit the new me in with my current life. It simply is not working. I don't like that part really, as I do have some great friends, friends that would do anything for me as I would for them. I don't intend to lose them but I need more... this is what she put in her text. She is an amazing person, so unselfish and kind. I wouldn't be here chatting like this without her support.

..... "You are really going to have to find some high energy friends that can keep up with you. You are wanting to make up for lost time. You have this new found zest for life, a new way of life to explore, but the rest of us are the same as we always were (boring you might say) I love that you have all this energy and enthusiasm but I am not a people person or even that sociable. I went to the club meetup with you to support you and really had a great time, but that was enough excitement to last me for a long time lol. You need to go for it... enjoy yourself and your new future"

I do have this new found energy. I can feel it. It's pulling me forward and I really don't think I can ignore it. I now know that I just have to keep arranging to go to the meetups. make some new friends hopefully, a new avenue to explore. I have just joined a group nearer me. The others were both 1 1/2 hours away, this one is 40 mins but I can drive. I was playing safe before. I didn't want to bump into anyone I knew. But now I don't really care. What was so hard to get out of my mouth a few months ago seems to fall out now!

Then every now and then I sit and think 'what am I doing' why would anyone want to be with me... 52 years old... average looking. But I do have a lot of energy hahaha, then I think, well. If I don't go out and have a look about I will never know. And I can't be the only 52 year old energetic dyke that's always on a diet can I? And what is the worst that can happen!

I still think about my catalyst a lot. I don't see her picture now that i'm not on facebook. That helps. But pictures do come up within my family WhatsApp and it still tugs so fecking hard when I do see her. I think she will always have that affect. But I know from the club I went to that I was attracted to someone else. So I have to try.

Moonsparkle, I know what you mean about thinking that the loneliness will be forever, but if we all think back to how we felt when we first joined this site... we didn't think the pain would stop. It may not be completely gone but to even consider some of the things we are thinking of now shows that it has to have eased. We need to get out there and show all the lovely lesbian ladies how much we have to offer. Hahaha I can't believe I just put that xx I have so much love at the moment that I want to share. Need to share. I am scared stiff. I have never had a relationship last. Never felt a connection with anyone until 'her' and that wasn't meant to be. I need to look. And none of us will find that staying at home.

Hello Bluenote... have you confided in anyone yet. That was my biggest and best stepping stone. And it is so isolating. Even with one friend I found I was in my own little world. I can not begin to tell you how lovely it is to have all my lads know. Well all but one. I have a son that lives abroad. I haven't plucked that much courage up yet as he lives in the same place as my catalyst. I can tell him and say it's just my lads that know at the moment... that's another thing to sort at a later date. I'm feeling to good to worry about it now!

Charly4410 I dream about the day I can say to my lads... "I want you to meet someone" how brilliant they all got on. I am so happy for you xxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

10. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Loads of women would love to be with you. You have such a beautiful soul. You need to listen to your own advice sometimes and not be so down on yourself.

You still have an E.C. posse cheering you on

11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I just wanted to say that I was having an average Tuesday until I read your last message and it really made me smile :icon_bigg.

I agree entirely with you. If today seems tough never forget how far you have come. When things are ever changing it's easy to forget how bad they were or how many big hurdles you have already overcome.
    Without the lows the highs wouldn't be as enjoyable.

I just know that one day you are going to meet a woman who is going to blow your catalyst out of the water haha

12. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was so tired tonight, almost didn't check out EC, but so glad I did. Whether your posts share your struggles, victories or anything in between--reading all of them brings me such good and positive energy!

I have to remember to always visit, especially when I am going through one of these stuck in my head low periods!

All of you ladies rock:slight_smile:!

Not to get all off track, but today in the mail I just got two classic 'lesbian books' I ordered from amazon. They both have great reviews.

The Price of Salt-Patricia Highsmith, this is the book the movie Clara is based on. (It's in my local library and I tried to get it there but it has a list of holds on it months long! It is quite interesting that so many ladies in the area want to read this book too!)

The Well of Loneliness-Radclyffe Hall, originally published in 1928, when it was banned, it is the story of a lesbian couple's struggle to be accepted by society in that era. It's fiction, though based on the authors own life.

Not sure if some of you have already read these, but I thought I would mention the titles for all the readers out there. I will let you know how they are!

13. dreamingfreely

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    The Price of Salt is such a good book. I am in the process of reading it for a third time just to make sure I get everything lol. First time I read it too fast.

14. JackieScut

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh the power of the internet. I have been awake 5 minutes and have purchased 3 books without even getting out of bed! Thanks you the book info ladies. I am a little lost without facebook... a good read will be time better spent! I bought a 3rd... has anyone read this? Lesbian Epiphanies: Women Coming Out in Later Life (Haworth Gay & Lesbian Studies)

Moonsparkle... was it you that was trying to watch the film 'Carol'? I have just seen there is a book about that on amazon. xxx

15. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dreamingfreely-like you, so many of the reviews I read on Price of Salt said this is one of those books people read over and over again. I only got through six pages last night before I fell asleep but I am already hooked by the authors style of writing!

Jackiescutt-yes it was me on the quest for the movie Carol--but in the meantime I am starting with the book. Let us know how 'Lesbian Epiphanies' is!

16. JackieScut

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Amazon just delivered... The Well of Loneliness is here. I am actually going to bed early to read! I never read. I loved to read years ago to the kids all the time, but I would fall asleep as soon as I read anything for me! What is happening... my whole being is changing hahahahaha

17. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I might like to read that one, Jackie. X

18. JackieScut

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not started it yet. I have been on here a lot tonight. Now I am on my PC in my bedroom instead of curled up in bed with my secret laptop! Such a relief to be on a big screen with a proper keyboard. My lads are not nosey, and I have never had any secrets or things I needed to hide from them before... but EC, Meetups and a few other sites I kept under lock and key. They still don't know I go on these, no need for them too... but now I just minimise the window when they come in the room and they respect my privacy and don't ask. I have been doing other stuff online and working and then popping on and off here catching up. LOVE IT!!!

One asked earlier where I went last night. I can't help myself! "Pub quiz with the lesbos" I answered. I left a 20 year old male standing there speechless!

19. Moonsparkle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love the new bold you!(!)

I started reading the 'Price of Salt' (so good!) first, but 'Well of Loneliness' is sitting right here too...I wish I could read them both, simultaneously!!!!

So wishing I could take a fake sick day tomorrow just to read! :grin:

20. JackieScut

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone