1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Visiting San francisco

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by WarmEmbrace, May 7, 2017.

1. WarmEmbrace

Hello again everyone, I hope this spring is bringing a lot of clarity and joy to everyone :slight_smile:.

There have been a few months since I've last logged in, and I apologise for the inactivity:slight_smile:. I tried a different approach in coping with... everything, tried focusing more on my work for a while and took a pause from online presence in general.

Focusing on work has some good results, I am preparing to fly to San Francisco (all the way from across the globe) for business opportunities , for the next two weeks. And I figured, since noone knows me in US, there's almost zero risk of getting accidentally outed. This would be an excellent opportunity to come out of my shell some more, talk in person with people from the LGBTQI community in US, people that have been part of a more accepting society and have wisdom to share, to discuss various aspects of life in general, and LGBT life in particular, (either in a more formal setting or over a drink, the setting does not matter as much, as as long as some genuine life experiences and wisdom is shared).

Are there any meet-ups, or gatherings that I could attend and that you can share with me? I don't know a soul in San Francisco and wouldn't know where to start (except looking up online for nearby events).

I imagine that hunting online for LGBTQ events can be very hit and miss, as I am looking for more ummm... cerebral, mature-minded groups. I am very curious about what generally more accepted LGBT community is like ( I would imagine more open, more level-headed and generally more mentally resilient).

Do you have any recommendations ? Support groups ? Art Coffee places?
    I'm scared that i'll arrive there, two weeks will pass I might miss out on this growth opportunity by not knowing where to look :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this :grin:

---------- Post added 8th May 2017 at 01:17 AM ----------

In case it helps with the recommendations: Currently I am in stealth-mode, especially as far as the business is concerned :slight_smile: . That means that I do not yet preset female, I am pre everything and I am hoping to talk with folks who are as diverse as possible in regard to gender identity / sexual orientation :slight_smile:

2. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi warmembrace!! I've been missing seeing you post (*hug*)

I'm not familiar with San Francisco personally but perhaps they have an LGBT centre? LGBT bookshops or something where you can get that kind of information.

I'm sorry I'm not more helpful, I just wanted to at least say hi and say you've been missed!!

3. Tomás1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd begin in the Castro - that is, Castro St between Market & 18th Sts. I'd visit the LGBTQ Center at Castro & Market Sts. They have a number of groups, referrals, bulletin boards, etc. There are some coffee shops u could hang in.

There r some walking & historic groups that visit places like the building where Harvey Milk's Camera shop was, etc.

There's nothing better than to spend time w a local, meet their friends & join them in some of the places they go. If u don't have any local contacts, I suggest finding someone thru Craigslist SF personals, or an online group like that. SF is a beautiful city w many radiant people - enjoy yourself!

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are some social apps that allow you to search beyond your area and select cities to see peoples profiles on. I can not mention them on here, but some of them are excellent for traveling with and chatting with people in a city you will be visiting, in this case San Francisco.

I actually do use it, with a very clear description in the profile that I will be in such city on such specific days and seeking advice on local activities and places to visit while I am there.

I have found people to be very open and welcoming offering advice on the local LGBT community.

Obviously, all the typical safety precautions for using social apps should be applied.