1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety and uncertainity

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by ununiquename, May 12, 2017.

1. ununiquename

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I joined a while back but had been too anxious to start a thread.

Looking back, I think I had underlying insecurities about my sexuality for most of my life. I had gone out of my way for years to avoid heterosexual relationships and honestly the ones I had felt very forced.

I finally felt that I was in a pretty good place last summer and began really with the questioning process. I was able to start talking about it with a therapist (still talking). It's not gone past that though -- I'm in an incredibly conservative area and many individuals I thought would be accepting have said and done things in the context of political events that made me realize that they might not be as safe as I thought.

I feel so isolated. The funny thing is that I have many friends from early eras in my life (when I was in more liberal settings) that identify as lesbian, gay or bisexual. I think I'm more scared of coming out or even questioning around them -- that they will think I'm lying or something.

I have no idea how to reach out locally.... back in college I was in an area with lots of lesbian bars, but they are nonexistent here. It looks like most of the "gay bars" here may be more for men -- at least looking at the facebook pages for them.

Anyway, I'm not sure what else to post. I'm just trying to connect somehow I guess.

2. Worker Bee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there. I'm Cam. Welcome to the world of posting on EC.

Maybe your friends from early eras in your life have already picked up on it but know you should be the one to bring it up when you're ready.

It is possible that they may know places you can go to such as bars that are more mixed.

You could look on the net to see if there's a local lgbt+ centre or equivalent that may have women's groups.

3. ununiquename

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No LGBT center here. I'm in a very red part of the state and my friends who would be accepting would not be familiar with my local area.

I am aware of a couple of church congregations that identify as affirming and every Sunday debate about going to one of their services.