1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe it is my current relationship!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by LostInDaydreams, May 13, 2017.

1. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Recently, my (male) "partner" told me that he thinks it's unusual that I'm not a natural 'homemaker'. He thinks most women are keen to do their partner's ironing, make them a packed lunch every day, make breakfast for them, etc.

It's not that he doesn't want me to work full-time, but seems to think I should want to look after him too. He said all men just want to be looked after.

I told him that he can iron his own shirts, and that I thought most women would say the same thing. He disagrees, and thinks most women would be happy to do the ironing.

I don't find him attractive, which I've been putting down to questioning, but realistically, I don't think I'd find him attractive anyway! So, maybe it is my current relationship that's the problem!

I don't think I can live with this for much longer. He's so patronising, always explains things unnecessarily, always thinks he knows best...

:bang:

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh dear that doesn't sound good. I think you are right that not all women would want to do that. He sounds very old fashioned in his views. What is stopping you leaving the relationship?

3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good to hear! Thanks. :slight_smile:

As for what's stopping me; I'm working at the moment, but it's not permanent, so wouldn't be able to financially support myself in the long-term. Also, we have a daughter, so moving in with parents isn't a practical option.

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a shame. Do you think you will be able to secure something permenant?

5. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope so! :slight_smile: I don't really enjoy being at home full-time, for months on end.