1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride is coming....

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, May 15, 2017.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wanted to write something to help us all take a step back from our journeys and think about celebrating, we're all struggling in various ways in accepting ourselves or moving forward on our journeys, BUT - we're moving forward, we're making progress and learning to accept ourselves. We're part of a strong, vibrant, beautiful, warm community and we should celebrate.

How can we take a moment to celebrate?

I'm preparing for pride with the group I run - getting ready for pride together, making placards and banners, and I'm going to be leading a group of people in the march, many of whom have never marched in pride before. So excited for that.

I'm also listening a lot to my refreshed queer party playlist, and listening to gaydio (thanks OTH!) and dancing around the kitchen with my daughter.

Teaching my daughter about being proud of being LGBT is rewarding as well, and a beautiful way to celebrate being LGBT.

And spending time in gay pubs dancing with my girlfriend and friends....

These are ways I've been celebrating. What are soeme things you're proud of in your journey? Some ways you've been celebrating or can celebrate?

#1 baristajedi, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
  2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds like a lot of fun! Have a great time!

3. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I marched in my first Pride parade last year, although I've been part of Pride the year before as a volunteer. it's such an empowering experience, your newbies are going to love it.

so many are so quick to point out that Pride started as a riot, yes and we should remind the world that we are here, we are Queer and we're not going anywhere. but please we need to take time to celebrate how far we have come. for some that one day is their protest and they don't or can't do much for the rest of the year; but for many like you, organizing your group, and so many others who do things day in day out to move the needle just a bit at a time, we need to celebrate our successes, to take space (a radical act in itself), commune with each other, celebrate each other. we need to show that WE RISE.(&&&)

5. Oniisan011701

What is pride like by the way? I imagine it slightly awkward with lotsa strangers standing around having nothing to say to one another? at least it may be like that if I go alone one day haha, I`m quite introverted :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: happy that ur getting out there though - took ya long enough