1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The joy of coming out to oneself ....realizing other men think like this too...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Imjustjulien, May 21, 2017.

1. Imjustjulien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Since starting on EC a few months back - with a flurry of writing and gushing to tell everything (though theres not much to tell really) I've eased back - listened a bit more as it were - and spent visits mostly reading, with the odd post, but more interested in what is being shared, spoken about.

We each have so much in common. Humanity, sexuality. masculinity in so many ways.

I realise more and more how much I want to sit down and talk and relate with men of my own kind. Gay men. Men who feel like I do. Cause I know I feel like you. I want to talk openly, to be open. And see its only with other men where I can drop my guard. While with women its different, the re s no desire for a relationship, all sense of chase, of pressure of something to be done, is not there.

While of thinknig about men it is the knowing we intimately know each other. Without words and way beyond blokey stuff and what I call hetero talk. Its just not interesting. Which is where I find/have found women much more engaging. How to be. But whats been missing for me is intimacy..the intamacy of being openly warmly gay. Thats what iI want. There are tears in writing this.

I guess fear of the unknown, fear of losing the familiar... is a trap. But I know what I know about me is Im a gay man living a lie. Its always been there. It is now so obvious, and whats more Im becoming so pleased about acknowledging this internal process. And feel so happy sharing this, admitting and it in putting all on the table for you to see...!

The appreciiation that comes in mutual understanding and acceptance.

A few minutes back I had an 'aha' moment - I guess thats how best to descibe it. Which promoted rhis writing.

The honest realisation - I want to share intimacy with men of like thought. I dont mean sex nessecarily, though of course it is part n parcel...and I know if years of fantasy are any guide, its the physical touch I want and need. In wired that way. IM PROUD TO BE..Even in those words I get a taste of PROUD. its no longer the gay men out there, over there, somewhere else...Im here. Those gay men include me.

In so many writings here on EC I get that empathry and understanding with others when rrady about the sense of relief of lightness that comes will spelling out ones feelings.

This to me is coming out.

A few nights back in bed with my wife, though we sleep separately mostly, just snuggling up at first. Then head to out room. It good this way. The bonus is i can lay and write without disturbing her.

As she held me, and I her, I felt so comforable, we were warm together, but though we were intimate it was not sexual. She understands Im sure. There is nothing there for me, to get an erection I need to bring to mind a male fantasy. I no longer feel guilty about it...but father just know thats how it is.I sense my wife guesses. We are more plutonic really. I simply dont get turned on. That was a shock in some ways that I hadnt looked. That Whereas years past there would be a turn...now nothing.

Yet I know if it were a man there by my side, enough side...the though of being in that place is ... me.

There is so much to say...to share. In these next few months Im going to go to a local getup group for older gay men.

I want to stop running away from myself...and just do it. Just go and be...and even the Pride March ( swallowing the fear ...my god someone will see me...well of course.. but actualky I want to be seen. I JUST DONT WANT TO KEEP IN HIDING. so thank you EC.

The things we do, I do to avoid the things we/I really want and are/have been too scared/to comfortable or numb to reach out for and take hold.

Well, thats my evolving outcoming epiphany.

Thank you EC men and women, you're all very special.

#1 Imjustjulien, May 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2017
  2. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For years I wrote of my gay fantasies as fantasies, a fetish, mis-wiring.

One of the most surprising aspects of coming out is finding i want the intimacy more than the sex.

WHen I finally acknowledged that I had gay feelings not fantasies, the power and intensity of the romantic attraction became clear. and my sexual fantasies changed from trying to get off on a woman to fantasizing about pleasing a man... i felt it all over my body too...

That's when I went from acceptance to wanting to be gay and being happy about it. Honestly I don't think a woman could love a man the way I can, but one thing's for sure, I have never felt this way about women.

I am going to the pride march in my city too

Imjustjulien likes this.
  3. Imjustjulien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Your words are a joy to read. I see in them the feelings that Im experiencing. Its an intimacy that I internally know is found with anothrr man that I do not find in being with women. There is a disconnect. Beautiful to look at, pretty, thee humour, girlish playfulnes, amazing intuition, the idea of going shopping with a women is fun. But intimacy just isnt there, and now I accept it has never been there, in the way I need it. From another view I want to give that intimacy to another man. The sec is just oart of the journey, if a very enjoyable and engaging part...lol

Yes a happiness comes with 'gay feeling' something that can only be experienced, labels dont work.

You've described it beautifully...thank you.

And in this moment of writing is the joy of sharing in the post reply to you another gay man.and everyone who reads it.... how wonderful. Thats the gay Im looking for...being gay is knowing gay. :kiss:

#3 Imjustjulien, May 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2017
  4. Highlander2

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These words really resonate with me. It's like a deep inner feeling of belonging - something that can't really be explained, but to be lying with my boyfriend resting his head on my chest and his arm across me, drifting off to sleep is the most comfortable, mesmeric feeling I have ever had in my life. The feeling of complete belonging - love for this man, every single part and piece of him, running my fingers through, and kissing his hair, the feeling of completeness is unreal.

And at that moment (and many others), being with the man I love - it hits me. I'm with the man I love. A man. And the thoughts and desires I used to have that I put down to fantasies all those years, and pushed them from my mind, now are real and right next to me. And now the feeling I get occasionally is guilt - for myself, that I shut away and denied it all for so long. For so long.

#4 Highlander2, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Imjustjulien likes this.
  5. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Imjustjulien, findingjoy, Highlander2...Reading the posts that the three of you have made fills me with joy and sadness. Let me explain....

JOY...After hiding from the world and myself for 55 years, I finally accepted that I was gay in Dec. 2014. In the two 1/2 years since I have gradually started to learn who I really am and have gradually learned that I don't need to be ashamed and guilty for being the person that I was always meant to be. I have learned so much, come to accept so much of myself that I rejected before. My entire life to this point I always felt like I didn't belong anywhere...that I was a kind of an orphan. But now I have found that I am not alone, that I do have a family, that I am a part of my LGBTQ family and I have countless brothers and sisters. The guilt and shame are (for the most part) gone. The depression is (again, for the most part, gone) gone. I am happier than I can ever remember, more relaxed and with the lowest stress level in decades. I am only out to a few people, but the way I feel when I get together with them is amazing. I can be my real-self. I don't double check everything I say and do anymore...at least with them. I would love to be out to more, but the ones who truly know me have been such an encouragement that I really can't describe it. After all these years the weight of the secret that I carried is gone. Only someone, like the three of you, can understand what it feels like to have that burden lifted and to be free! For the first time in my life I am happy, really, truly happy. But.....

SADNESS....I live in a small town and am very well known here. I was the high school band director for 33 years at the town's only HS. I had a very successful program...150 students in marching band, two jazz ensembles, concert band and pep band for basketball and football games. My bands have played for the President of the United States. I was also the director of the Fine Arts Theatre (Stage). I am heavily involved in my church and in several civic organizations. I sing and play in several local musical organizations and am a member of my state's Music Teacher's Hall of Fame. I have three sons, one of whom is a pastor, and four grandchildren, My wife and I have been married for 38 years.

So what does this all mean...I can never really come out. If I should decide to come out now, I would literally have to move away from this town that is my home. People would wonder; "Did he ever abuse any of his students on all those trips they took?" My church, as good people as they are, would nonetheless ask for my resignation and also ask that I not attend anymore. My son, the pastor, would be thrown into a terrible conflict over his beliefs and his love for his father. I have come out to my wife and she has been incredibly understanding. I do love her and she loves me, but she would still be devastated. So you see, even though I have come out and accepted myself, even though I do have three friends and my wife who know I am gay...there is no way that I could cause the pain, hurt and anguish that would happen if I did come completely out. This is my sadness when I read your posts...you have something that I envy so much...the ability to be yourself to everyone around you. I will never have that. But......

I am happy!!(!) I am happy because there are people like you who have been able to come out. I am happy because there are so many of today's youth who have been able to be their authentic self from the beginning. I am happy because so much has changed and because it's is still changing. So for those of you who can be out.....please think about this....you are not living your lives just for yourself. You are also living them for me and for all the others like me who were trapped by societie's expectations. When you go on a date with your boyfriend, take just a moment and think of us...have a great time for you and your partner and also have a great time for us. It helps me so much to know that there are more and more LGBQT folks out there able to live their life the way they feel is right. It helps me so much to know that society is changing and that the youth of today see same-sex couples come to their High School Proms and they think nothing of it all. That makes me happy....David

Imjustjulien likes this.
  6. findingjoy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it also sounds like you have had a VERY rich and rewarding life an a lot to be proud and happy about. ....and you have an understanding wife..and the fact that you don't want to cause hurt makes me admire you even more...

7. Rana

Rana Guest

Imjustjulien,

As a lesbian, I feel the same in reverse...not feeling "connected" as much with men as with women.

True heartbreak for me was the very first week (only 3 months ago) that I realized I could be a lesbian...why heartbreak? Not because I was sad about being a lesbian, but because all the "why am I like this" questions were solved and yet, I had wished I hadn't spent half my life not knowing why...why I'm disconnected in relationships, why I just can't be satisfied (emotionally or physically), why I feel restless...etc.

I can't tell you how much I cried when I first realized I was a lesbian because I mourned all of the sadness of my youth and wished I had discovered this sooner.

But after all that, I can honestly say I've never felt more alive, and more in touch with what intimacy really is (believe it or not, I really never fully understood intimacy until now as I think of it with the same sex).

So I guess after mourning the past, I'm excited and humbled about the future.
    We all have so much in common here on EC. I'm grateful for the chance to learn and share with you. ♥♥♥
    (*hug*)

Imjustjulien likes this.
  8. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This part just pisses me off so much. Like there is this automatic assumption that if you are gay you're a fucking child molester.
    People seriously need to realize the two are in NO WAY connected. Hell even if the person doing the abusing actually questioned their sexuality and took advantage of someone because they though it was "safer".........they're a sick son of a bitch, that ain't got shit to do with their actually sexuality. It ain't like their sexuality "drove them to do it.

#8 angeluscrzy, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
  9. Imjustjulien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people