1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini Freak Out

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by karebear, May 23, 2017.

1. karebear

I ran into an old friend from high school a couple of weeks ago when I was out with some other friends. We got drinks and talked a little bit, then she casually mentioned she saw me on the app Her, and I had a mini freak out. I didn't know she was gay so I was shocked when she mentioned it. I'm not out to many people and didn't think I would see anyone I knew on the app and tried it because I was curious. We talked mare and she asked if I was and I told her no, because of my parents. She told me it will get better in the future and was encouraging, but I still had a mini freak out inside. I didn't know what to do after talking to her and I am still kind of freaking out. I want to be out, but I still live with my parents and am not done with college yet. I feel lost a lot of the time, and I'm not the kind of person that opens up to people easily.

2. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I remember when I ran into one of the popular high school athletes when I was bartending at a gay club. Initially after first sight of him standing at the bar where I was stationed, I did panic just a little. However, it was not long after that I realized that why am I panicking when he is in here just as well? I guess I followed the same advice I gave one our company's biggest clients whom happened to frequent the club on a regular basis. You see, he too ignored me and became very panicky especially when he would see me at work and we had to attend the same meetings/conferences. It wasn't until I gave him this analogy that he felt comfortable being in my presence not only at work but at the club as well. In fact, it had gotten to the point of where I would send his favorite male strippers to the back of the room to give him private lap dances which he loved.

Anyway, back to you...more than likely, I am pretty certain that your friend knew you were lying about your sexuality and that's fine because I always felt that something just as your sexual coming out should be when you are comfortable with it and not to be pushed or pressured into doing so. In other words, if you happened to run into her again which I am pretty certain you will...just focus on having a nice conversation with her and not on your sexual identity. If you come across as if you are not worried or concerned about in her presence, I am pretty sure that it will not come up in your conversation. So...in my opinion...just act natural when you see her and not come across as nervous or panicky. Just my suggestion.

3. Really

It sounds like she was very nice about you not being out, yet, so I don't think you need to worry about her "spilling the beans", if you were. I'm guessing that if you run into her again, she'll be perfectly fine. Try not to worry about it, you may find going forward that you're glad some sympathetic and supportive knows.