1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All my friends are getting married, I'm just getting drunk (well, not really)

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by edogs334, Jun 5, 2010.

1. edogs334

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Four of my friends and former classmates (both gay and straight) just got married or engaged within the course of a few weeks. That kind of scares me- esp. being 28- less than two years from being 30. :confused:

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My earliest friends to get married were the earliest (and most likely) ones to get divorced. The ones that got married later? Still married.

It's not a race. Relax. If you're really interested in moving ahead on this, perhaps it's time to give more thought to that closet demolition you refer to in your out status. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Gambit

I guess it's natural to feel like that when you hear someone is getting married. A friend of mine is getting married next month (she is only 20). When she told me she was getting married i thought "dang, I'm getting old. She is getting married and I dont even have a gf or bf". I guess age doesnt matter, some times we feel the pressure of getting married or finding someone before our 30's. But i guess what really matters is finding someone who you really care about and love, regardless of your age. Some people are lucky and find that person early in their life, others will find that person later in life.

4. edogs334

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the advice- yeah, after thinking about it, it isn't such a huge deal that I'm still single. I came out when I was 26, so it's not like I was dating men when I was in High School. And yes, I'm working on demolishing my "closet." But sometimes I think that my lack of outward gayness- ie- the fact that I'm not obviously gay when I'm being myself- hinders other gay people from knowing. That can probably be remedied, however, by being more open about my personal life to people who don't know- especially when the subject of relationships comes up.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All the more reason to come out. You'll get a lot more offers if people know you're on the market. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. Ralivar

I wonder the same thing sometimes and I'm only 21, some of my friends are already married and others already have children, then there's me who's never even been on a date (how sad is that, lol.)

I agree though that things like marriage don't happen at a certain age and don't even necessarily have to happen at all, for example my uncle has been with his partner for as long as I can remember and they have never felt the need to get married, they are happy with the way that there relationship is. Essentially everyone is different and we need different things at different times in out lives.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know I feel this way sometime when I hear about my friends who are married and have kids. But then I simply tell myself, they're only my age or younger and they already have kids and a husband/wife. With their age, they're going to be the ones stuck flipping hamburgers the rest of their lives. Where am I going to be? I'm going to be earning $$ and doing something with my life.

8. Allistair

Allistair Guest

Im a firm believer in the if its meant to happen for you it will motto so dont worry too much about the people around you getting married and having kids, one day you will meet someone and you will probably have a great relationship with that person.

9. Swimming4ever

I love not being married, even though I'm only 25. My friend just got engaged and I'm happy for him, but I don't feel bad I'm not. I got a great bf now and I'm happy with that.