1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Married, gay and the therapist

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Griffin, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi.

I posted once before and appreciate the feedback I received. Quick review- I am 41 years old, married for 15 years with two great kids, ages 7 and 11. Struggling now with whether to come out to my wife (I know that I am gay) or remain in the marriage for the sake of my children who are unlikely to cope well with a divorce.

My question is about therapist reactions. My therapist and I have a long history- I have seen her on an off for 7 years as I have coped with depression and intense suicidal ideation. I came out to her three weeks ago.

My therapist has been direct and kind of intense about the need for me to come out to my wife. At the last session, she said, "if you don't come out and live as the person you were meant to be, it will kill you." I guess I am feeling kind of pressured by my therapist to come out.

I am wondering about other gay married men with therapists. How did your therapist respond to your coming out? Was there pressure from the therapist to come out to your wife? How did you respond?

All feedback is welcome.

Thanks

J

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fundamentally, I'm in agreement that you do need to come out to your family. She's right, you'll be miserable if you hold it in your whole life.

But it sounds like she's telling you that you have to do it now, and that I don't agree with.

One way to look at it: If your roles were reversed, would you want your wife, who can't love you in the way you want, because she's a lesbian, holding that inside, keeping it from you, and all the while you're going along thinking you have this great marriage, when in reality, you don't?

If she waited a year, 5 years, 10 years and then eventually told you, wouldn't you feel even more betrayed, because you could at least have had the opportunity to make a decision together about what to do?

The point is, when you get married, you make a joint decision to live your lives together, and part of that is being authentic with each other, because without authenticity, there really isn't anything to the relationship at all.

Now... as for your kids... first, kids are remarkably resilient and, as long as Mom and Dad are civil about things, they'll take it all in stride, and be fine. But if you stay in the relationship, they'll see, unconsciously, that the relationship between you and your wife isn't healthy and normal, and a lot of what kids learn about relationships is imprinted on them by watching their parents relationship. So the lack of love, even if you're doing your best to cover it up, is going to imprint on them, which isn't going to send them a healthy picture of what a relationship should look like. Additionally, when they do eventually find out, they, too, will feel betrayed, and that will also, unconsciously, send the message that authenticity in relationships isn't important.

On the other hand, if you do come out, and you and your wife both go your separate ways and develop new, healthier relationships... then your kids will have two chances to see healthy relationships at work, they'll learn about the value of integrity and authenticity, how people handle difficult situations... and all of this will make a significant impact in helping them see healthy behaviors, and translate that to what they take to their own relationships.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chip, your response confuses me a little bit. You say you disagree with his therapist's opinion of coming out now, yet say he shouldn't take too long to come out. I don't think the therapist was necessarily saying go home now and tell her, I think more just don't wait too long.

However, I do feel you need to do it soon. I understand how you feel, I mean coming out would help you a lot, and lying to her much longer would, as Chip said, hurt her and you both...

4. Delta

Yeah, I see what you're saying Revan. I think everyone's pushing for coming out as soon as he's ready to. Not right now because he isn't ready, but not keeping it a secret because that's not fair to anyone involved.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, I agree that was a bit ambiguous.

I guess what I'm really thinking is that, based on what the OP said, I think the therapist is probably being a little bit too proactive and doing a bit of arm-twisting, and if he isn't quite ready to come out, forcing the issue probably won't be a good idea.

But on the other hand, there are compelling reasons for doing it sooner rather than later. "Sooner" means, to me, within the next 3 or 4 months, or even sooner than that if the OP gets himself to a place where he feels OK doing that. In part, the longer he's resolute that he's gay, the more uncomfortable he will be with himself, and if he cares about his wife and family, the more uncomfortable he will be withholding that from them. I think that was the point the therapist was probably trying to make, in addition to the other ones I made.

6. biggayguy

Griffin, how are things going with you? Have you come out to your wife and your kids? I just came out as gay to my therapist today. He was fairly accepting once he realized I had thought about this for years. I don't have a wife or kids but only a couple of people know I'm gay. Hope you are doing well.

7. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, my former therapist did much damage by not helping me come out much earlier than I did. Despite talking for 13 years about a lack of sexual interest in my wife,and strong attractions to guys, he did nothing but collude with my denial and avoidance. So, I truly respect your therapist and she is right. The timetable can be worked out. I suffered with the falseness for too long and it wrecked me.

8. Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi BigGayGuy-

Yes, I came out to my wife late in May, to my mom this summer and to 3 of my friends and colleagues late in the summer. Not out to my kids yet - I am thinking we will get them through the divorce first and then deal with the rest. It's all gone fairly smoothly, all things being considered. It is not financially possible for me to move out right now, so my wife and I still share a home. Will likely be another year or so before we're on our feet financially and I am able to live on my own as a gay man. I've found a gay fathers and husbands support group in NE Ohio, where I live, and the once monthly meetings have been helpful and reassuring. We are definitely not alone in this experience, at this stage of life. The meetings always have about 15 guys in attendance, and often it's different guys each month.

I'm glad you came out to your therapist...I think it's the safest place to start, as you are not likely to be judged. I hope things move forward for you in the way you want.

Good luck to you.

Griffin