1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Married & gay

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by skiff, Jan 3, 2013.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello,

I am gay no doubt about that but I made a mistake. Twenty years ago I married a wonderful woman. I hoped I could overcome my sexual preference but i was wrong. To compound it we had two children. I told myself I would nothing until they were adults and that day is coming.

I have not had relations with a man in over twenty years and none with my wife for seven years.

It is my "commitment" issue that got me into this. I knew I was gay all along but never found another gay man that didn't have commitment issues. I am sure they are out there I just never met one when I was single. In dumb ignorance I decided females are prone to commitment and I found a good woman and married her.

I love her like a friend but the sexual aspect is missing and I now know you need the complete picture to be happy.

My problem is obvious... How do I undo this terrible mistake hurting as few people as possible? I cannot keep up the farce forever. I have waited for our children to be adults before I do anything. In two years they will be over 20.

Part of me says to end the marriage and tell nobody about my issues. However I would like input from others who have lived through this.

Thanks.

Stuck Mistake

2. SomeNights

If you do abruptly end the marriage there will be questions. Lots of questions. You'll also leave this woman who you've been with without an explanation as to why it didn't work out and you'll have to explain to your kids what happened.

I think your trying to rush into this before the starters gun has even fired. Talk with your wife in private first. You owe her an explanation for the last 20 years.

- Hope this helps a little

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I realize there will be a period of chaos but I don't know if her knowing I am gay will help her in the final analysis.

I can just say I am no longer happy in the marriage.

I have no close friends outside the marriage who could help me talk this out.

Stuck

4. PeteNJ

You are not alone -- I and others on EC have spent a long time (some shorter, some longer), in marriages and other hetero relationships with women, and at some point in order to be sane, need to acknowledge and come to grips with who we really are.

I'm just in the process of coming out to myself. I have a great therapist. I'm beginning to build a network of friends.

How you handle your relationship -- well everyone is different. Some guys have started there -- since that's the person whom it'll impact the most. Others, like me, are working on coming out and connecting with friends first. For me, I feel like I'll need the support of friends when it ends. And I need to talk through with my friends how this will all play out.

Some days it brings me to tears -- I am so loved and I love so much -- and I need to end it. That's a sadness and loss I need to work through.

Though it'll be at the same time I'm coming out. A lot going on -- and without support, including EC, I wouldn't be able to do it.

5. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I am a bit different as I have always been a loner. Well not a loner but i take my close friends one at a time. Been that way my whole life.

I can take being alone I think ( for a while).

I am wary of therapists. You may be different than me but I always considered therapists to be like prostitutes. They charge you money for what loved ones will give you for free. And like a prostitute you may acquire a whole new problem from the prostitute or therapist. I saw this occur with my older sister.

I am just starting down this road and have a lot of thinking to do.

At least I overcame my closeted paranoia to post here.

Stuck

6. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

Does she know you feel this way? Does she know that you're gay?

7. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Heck, only a handful of people know I am gay. You could count them on one hand in over five decades.

That takes a lot of play acting. Not proud of it, it just does.

You being young in 2013 live in a very different world from when I was a teenager. It has got to be somewhat easier for you. You have not compounded decades of lies that all need to be sustained.

I have taken making mistakes in regards to my sexuality to Olympic gold standing.

Don't be dumb like I was. Do what is right for you but don't truncate yourself to make society and family happy. The older you get the more you will realize society is a farce.

But no my wife has no clue. Though we have not had sex in years. I assume she thinks there is no sex due to age and her letting herself go physically.

I have always known I am gay, I just could not find a gay man willing to make a commitment.

Stuck

8. quinos

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming here and talking about your issues. And know you are not alone! I'm 35 and just went through a divorce myself because I realized, but didn't know at the time, that I'm gay.

I would definitely recommend you talk to a qualified, gay-friendly therapist. You can tell you're wife its for stress or something. Your therapist and you can make a plan for you that best suits your needs. These forums are great, but they're no substitute for qualified professional help!

9. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

What kind of fall out did you face? Did you tell yor wife the true reason? Were there children involved?

Neither my wife or kids deserve to be hurt, so I am curious about you.

Stuck

10. quinos

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My wife was understandably hurt and devastated and still struggles with it, but she is moving on. Ironically we actually get along better now. I did tell her the true reason since our sex life had been lack luster for years and clearly we were both not happy. I dont know your age, but at my age, sex is still a very important component of marriage and the lack thereof is a clear sign somethings wrong.

No children were involved so I feel your pain even though I didn't experience that. In my opinion, if they're around 20 years old, they will be hurt, but probably not as devastated as they would be if they were 10 years old. You say that your wife and children don't deserve to be hurt and you're right. But life sometimes happens. People do get over things, even it if takes a while. Still, I recommend you use this forum and seek out professional help. I did and it made a world of difference helping both of us cope and move on.

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2013 at 03:47 PM ----------

I can also say that I am a much happier person now that I am honest with myself and my sexuality. It sounds funny, but I don't mind being a gay man and I've come to accept and embrace it. Or more correctly, I like being honest with myself and the rest of the world. I wish I had come out long ago. But you can't go back in time, you can only move forward.

11. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

It is not like we had a choice being gay. If you are aware of Dr. Rao's work they can now alter sexual preference in mice by altering their brain serotonin metabolism. They can move them either way.

===
    Rao and his team genetically engineered male mice to lack either serotonin-producing neurons or a protein that is crucial for making serotonin in the brain. Both types of altered mouse couldn't make serotonin.

Unlike typical males, mice deficient in the neurotransmitter showed no inclination to mount sexually receptive females more than males, nor did they prefer to smell females' genital odors or bedding. Instead, they climbed onto males and serenaded them with ultrasonic love songs more frequently than normal. Males emit these vocalizations when they encounter females to make them more receptive to mating.

While all of the males who possessed serotonin mounted females first, nearly half of the mice that lacked serotonin clambered onto males before females, and about 60 percent spent more time sniffing or hovering over the genital odors and bedding from males than from females.

When the researchers injected a compound into these mice to restore neurotransmitter levels, they found that the animals mounted females more than males. But too much serotonin reduced male-female mounting, suggesting that the amount of this chemical must stay within a certain range to foster heterosexual rather than homosexual behaviors.
    ===

Believe it or not this change in serotonin metabolism can be achieved by a specific fetal deficiency at a specific phase of brain development in the womb.

So technically we can blame our mothers for who we are. We are born this way.

Stuck

12. quinos

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    then Lady Gaga WAS right! lol

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2013 at 04:31 PM ----------

but all kidding aside, with me there were clues long before I knew what gay was. It just took me years to realize it.

13. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Humour me...

What did Lady Gaga say?

I do not follow pop culture at all. I listen to music, know what I like, but have no clue who sings what.

Stuck

14. Incognito10

I have never been through what you're going through and can't begin to imagine; however, I did want to say I was reading a book over this past summer about coming out, being honest, acceptance among other topics. I remember one specific part of the book touched on the topic of gay men stuck in hetero marriages and he made, what I believe to be, a valid point: look around you at all the reasons people are getting divorced, certainly being gay is a valid reason. I am sure you're wife will be very surprised if you come out to her, but remember, it's not like you're telling her you don't want to be with her because you hate her. From reading your post, I don't sense hate.

15. quinos

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    she had a hit last year or so called "Born This Way" and it included lyrics about, among other things, being gay. I'm no real fan of her music, but I do appreciate her very public pro-LGBT efforts.

---------- Post added 3rd Jan 2013 at 04:54 PM ----------

i would definitely echo what Incognito said. For the longest time, my wife thought our sexual difficulties were her fault. It was a relief of sorts when I came out to her.

16. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He'll no! My wife is a great person! She is a good friend. We never fight, not once in twenty years.

What is totally lacking is sexuality. That part of the marriage is missing.

It doesn't work without it.

This problem was created by me. I caved to social pressure and lived the lie.

Stuck

17. quinos

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    don't beat yourself up too much for "living the lie!" you came from a generation where there were few alternatives. there are many others out there like you, and few have the courage to really start to deal with it like you are.

18. Ianthe

First of all, imagine what it must do to her self esteem to think that you aren't interested in her sexually because of something to do with her. That's awful!

However, I think it's just as likely that she "let herself go" partly because you weren't really all that interested anyway.

Wives usually suspect, even if no one else does. You haven't had sex in seven years. The sex in your relationship was probably lacking before that. She knows something is up.

While you don't find her physically appealing, that doesn't mean no one will. Ending the marriage will allow her to find a partner that is interested in her sexually, as well. When you come out to her, you can also stress that she deserves to have that, to be with a man who desires her.

You haven't cheated on her, and that will make things a lot easier. She will go through the stages of grief, so be prepared for that. But it's possible that you will still be able to be friends. And since you aren't having sex anyway, that might not even be that big of a change in terms of the way you interact with each other.

19. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I have not decided I will ever come out to her.

I have been lying about my sexuality for 54 years. One more lie to spare her feelings is not a bad thing. I could do that for her when the time comes.

It is nice having found this place with so many people in the same boat.

I can tell by some of the thoughtful remarks I could friends with a number of you.

Thanks. Where were you guys in my 20's? All I ever met were guys chasing their dicks and one night stands. Not my style.

Thanks.

Stuck

20. PeteNJ

Stuck -- IMO -- if you tell her you want to end the marriage because you're unhappy, that's true. Telling her you are gay -- it might be liberating for you and her -- might make things a lot clearer. But I don't think you need to, and if you think it'll be less hurtful, that make sense. I'm not sure myself, what I'll say to my GF. Reality is, though, if I come out and live as an out guy, it'll get back to her.

Stuck, if you tell your kids -- you couldn't ask them to keep that secret to their Mom, though, that would be unfair.