1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are the 50 somethings?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by wolfphoenix, Feb 27, 2013.

1. wolfphoenix

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am wondering where the 50 something lesbians are chatting? It seems like EC is pretty young oriented but I have yet to find another site that is more about making friends and less about getting a date. I wonder if anyone can give me some hints. Okay, I am old! A different set of needs for my age group. Thank you. I appreciate it.:bang:

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I will concede that we are a young crowd, but there are people around your age.

Have you talked to Kay? She's a wonderful, insightful person who still cares about fighting for us all, sisters, brothers and everyone in between.

3. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kay is pretty awesome.

4. afraidtomove

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
  5. BudderMC

Two things worth pointing out:

1) With the new forum upgrades, there will be a coming out forum for older people, which will hopefully attract more people around the older age group.

2) You're looking for older people but you don't have your age displayed. Likewise, the one person in your age range to respond also doesn't have their age displayed. It's pretty hard to find older people if none of the older people want to show their age.

Now, you don't have to have your age displayed, but it certainly makes things a lot easier, doesn't it? :slight_smile:

6. Ianthe

Hi wolfpheonix,

One of the changes in our big restructuring coming up is that we are adding a Coming Out Later In Life subforum, which we think will both attract more older members and help them find each other.

We do already have some older members.

Something to keep in mind is that the original demographic of EC was mostly teenage gay and bisexual guys. All the other groups are later expansions really. This has to do with how EC originally came about. (The other online community mentioned was aimed at gay men.)

So, our community of women is growing rapidly, but our population of women over fifty is not yet very large. But I think you can expect more to come soon. It especially will help if you stay around--that way the next woman over fifty who comes will find you when she gets here.

I agree that Kay would be a good person to talk to.

7. Kay

Kay Guest

Hey you, I would love to chat if you don't mind a sixty something lesbian. :slight_smile: (!). The youth around here is what makes this such a marvelous site. It is good to know that the future of LGBTQ is in such darling hands. You are not old dear you are older. I am pushing hard against old. Yes the needs are different but in many ways the same. We all seek love and companionship. There are certainly ways to find that depending on your situation love they may very. My name is Kay and you can message me. Pret Allez already messaged me and i have visited your page. You can message me any time to have a chat. I'm glad you found EC. (!!)

---------- Post added 28th Feb 2013 at 10:53 AM ----------

I thank all of those who mentioned me. They all all great posters and dears as well. Hugs to all of them. Kisses and hugs

8. Cthulhu

Kay is one of the best

9. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I found my way here via the "other" community. I have fun there and have made a few good friends, but I think my time is better spent on EC. It's good to know there are some people my age. :smilewave

I'm guessing that many older lesbians chat on sites aimed at specific topics (politics, culture, whatever) rather than simply being lesbians. There are, for example, quite a few lesbians on the writing site I frequent (and the owners are a lesbian couple).

10. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l feel as old as you and am probably as disillusioned if you want to chat lol.

Are you having doubts? l'd like to talk to an older person who does, actually. l'm doubting myself and speaking with someone who understands how horribly wrong all of this could go and has no youthful optimism would be useful.

11. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is that question for me? I have some doubts, but it's complicated... wish I could give contact info.

12. Kay

Kay Guest

Thank you love you are a sweetheart. smooches.

---------- Post added 28th Feb 2013 at 07:52 PM ----------

Message me anytime you need to chat love. Hugs I never mind complicated.

13. CountessAbby

I am pushing 45 and I came here because my 16 year old son is gay and I wanted some opinions. He will not permit me to tell dad yet (my husband) but I am certainly not part of the older crowd. I didnt have my age posted...I never join chat groups, and I am straight. But you can always bounce things off me if you like. I am a medical professional but a mom of 3 kids, 24,26 and 16. Our last one is the one who has told me he is gay and I was looking for guidance and opinions but I am one of the older crowd for sure!!!!

14. Kay

Kay Guest

Welcome to EC love.
    I am glad you accept your son. I am also glad you respect his wishes about sharing with his dad. It's his job to come out when he is comfortable. He will when the time is right. You being a support to him is awesome and I congratulate you on that. Has he told his brothers? It is important that he handle this as well. Your place is to support him as he grows to fully know himself. Hugs and Love

15. wolfphoenix

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guess I cannot private message until I have been cleared for take off.......

I am 56 and did not state my age due to the overall agist internet. Just the same, I am young at heart and I have wrinkles. However, I can run a 10 minute mile so Hah!

Thanks for the comments. Be well and hail me!

---------- Post added 1st Mar 2013 at 04:10 PM ----------

Kay:

Thank you...you are well respected and I am on your heels at 56. Guess I should state my age! Just got into the habit of hiding it online due to the ageism involved in my job search. Just the same, I am young in my thoughts. Ah, ready for a nap! Thank you.

---------- Post added 1st Mar 2013 at 04:11 PM ----------

Youthful optimism. Nice image. How about wisdom of any kind? Got it. Young in my heart but not in years. Thank you.

16. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

17. Kay

Kay Guest

Hey it is nice to meet you sweetheart. Welcome to EC and lots of love.

18. Tracker57

55 year old gay guy here. Just coming out and coming to terms. There are several of us around here.
    Tracker

19. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Folks, I am a 53 year old guy married 25 years, no kids, and after some major life changing events starting to think at this late stage in life that I am gay.

I had no idea I had any attraction to guys until my mid 40s so this has come as a shock to me. I would like to make contact with other guys who are, or have been, married or in a long term relationship with a woman.

In the 2 months I have been a member I have chatted and joined more discussions on this web site than I have done in the last 8 years on other sites, it’s a fantastic open, understanding, and non-judgemental place to be.

To the admins / moderators: It would be interesting to see a graph of the demographic if that’s possible.

Sale Gay Guy

20. PinkTractor

Hi all,

Haven't been here much lately, I've been away, hanging out on the most cut-throat forum I have ever seen, trying to learn a few things while not getting mugged in a back alley of their site. Anyway, BiAnnika gave me the heads-up there was a new section here for people who remember fondly when their joints didn't hurt, so I came back to check it out.
    This seems like it will be an excellent fit for more mature folks, and I'm looking forward to being here a bit more now.