1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I being called "old"? :)

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by RainbowMan, Mar 3, 2013.

1. RainbowMan

I just got a PM advising me of the existence of this forum (which I already knew about from reading the forum restructuring announcement....but oh well).

I don't have any grey hair, I swear! Not sure I qualify as "old" :grin:

Oh well, just trying to get something going in here. I really like the idea of this forum, since we do have issues that the younger members of EC don't have - and they tend to disappear before all of us old fogeys that have jobs and stuff can read them :grin:

So great job, EC staff!

2. Gen

Gen

Of course, Rainbow Man. You are ancient. I mean, thirty four was so three decades ago. :sunglasses:

Anywho, I agree. I think this is a great idea, especially considering the fact that EC is continue to get more and more older members.

3. nydtc

Like a fine wine - i have only gotten better with age.
    If only I could get some male patterned baldness on my back! It would save me a fortune in waxing.

4. Ianthe

We are totally old. Which I find hilarious.

But I think the issues of coming out are really different after you are out of school and past college age, and the sort of 20-something singles age. And of course, it gets even more complicated when people are in long-term straight relationships or marriages, and maybe have kids.

And of course there are all the issues related to kind of regressing a little bit in order to deal with developing socially in ways that most people learn to do in their teens and early twenties at a later time in life, and the awkwardness of that.

5. Kay

Kay Guest

:eek:Yes at 34 you are old what does that make me at 60. Holy crap sweetie. You don't have any grey hair. Hell i don't have any Brown hair anymore. Yeah we are both old but aging comes in degrees. Hugs lover enjoy the retirement checks. :slight_smile:(!)

---------- Post added 3rd Mar 2013 at 05:29 PM ----------

One thing is for sure we all have gotten older with age. LOL

6. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :roflmao:

7. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I recall someone saying that 50 is the new 30.

Sale Gay Guy

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, 50 really feels like 50 :dry:...but we just live longer now :icon_bigg

---------- Post added 3rd Mar 2013 at 03:50 PM ----------

But I agree with Ianthe, the issues are different and we should have a place for "us", and yes I respect that we were considered important enough to merit our own place, as it were.

It's up to us to show the young'ns what it means to come out at this stage, the issues, marriage, kids, etc. so that they can learn from us.

It is so much better today for the LGBT community, better than ever, but it may seem for the younger members of this community that things aren't going fast enough. I guess it's our job (whether we want to or not) to provide perspective and the value of a little wisdom; wisdom being the ability to avoid the trouble a smart person has to get out of! :icon_bigg

9. Kay

Kay Guest

I was being funny before but for many the issues are truly different. Those that are first discovering their truth after say 30 have many different issues to deal with. There is the possibility of a marriage and children. So many variables.
    There are a lot of different questions that need answers I met a woman happily with her new lover. She had been married for 35 years and had kids in there thirties. The first question out of her mouth was, "How the hell did I not know."
    There are so many great books on topics involving late coming out. So yes this is a great forum. I am all in.
    I was out early in life but I know the conflicts many have when age has hit and LGBTQ follows behind. Hugs and love

10. ChandlerCurious

Haha....I was happy to see this thread started! I was thinking the same thing when I got the PM...at 37 I am having serious anxiety about turning 40 after all that is like 100 in gay years right? Lol but I agree it is nice to have a section for issues related to us old folks lol!:eusa_doh:

11. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not old enough to be old? I didn't get a PM. I missed the cut-off. Darn!

I promise I have plenty of gray hair and decades long denial to qualify for the club! :lol:

12. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess for all of us "elders" it's Welcome to EC all over again! (*hug*)

13. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm... I turned 30 last year. Is that why I suddenly decided to start growing my hair out?

14. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

Well, maybe this might not be so bad. Coming out to most as Gay, on September of 2012 has been a roller coaster, of emotions, and trying to stretch the mind to learn that the world isn't as black and white as I have been led to believe.

But now that I may actually be trans??? I find that without this forum, I would not be here. I find it's one of the very few safe places I can go and just be.(*hug*)

15. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Sweetie...you belong here with us "old folk"! :slight_smile: Welcome!!! :slight_smile:

16. Kay

Kay Guest

40 is downright youthful. When you hit 60 then you are beginning to get old. You are 37 look out for 38 that was when my body started going to hell on the fast train LOL Hugs sweetie and lot of love

---------- Post added 3rd Mar 2013 at 09:32 PM ----------

Like the rest of us you have been brain washed all your life by the heterosexual dogma of so called truth. Well i am here to tell you and all the rest will affirm this, the truth they told you was a lie. Yes you are loved and hugged here as you journey to your center and find out who you are.
    The roller coaster can stop here and you can find self and true and what the real world is about. Hugs and so much love and it is my pleasure to meet you sweetheart

17. PeteNJ

I'm also one of the old farts here!

And I'm willing to put a stake in the ground, that sex gets better as you get older. (no, really)

Without over generalizing, those of us coming out "later" generally have more life experience, have had relationships, often marriages, sometimes children. And many of us have had secret lives with lovers.

Complicated.

18. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

"Yes at 34 you are old what does that make me at 60?" Answer:Fabulous!A role model for all! :slight_smile:

19. newgirl31

Okay...I guess I shouldn't be pouting about getting the "older folk" PM...pouting is for younger folk. :wink: Made the cut off by two weeks!

I really do appreciate everyone on here! (&&&)

Just clarify, we are just supposed to try and post threads in here? Can we still reply to threads in other sections?

20. redstormrising

I didn't get a PM either lol. What was the cutoff, 33?