1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just came out to my oldest sister!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, Mar 4, 2013.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is one for the books...

Over the phone I just came out this evening to my sister who is living with AIDS.

I was beyond nervous, I thought that the historical link between homosexuality and HIV/AIDS was just too much to lay on her.

She contracted it in the early nineties from her live-in boyfriend (drugs were involved as well) and she has been living this nightmare for a long time now, her eyesight is deteriorating, she is disfigured from the dyslipidemia that occurs as a result of the medications and yet she is working and her spirit is strong.

The moment I told her, after a very brief pause, the first thing that she said, with a quivering voice, was that she loved me, and that she wished she were in Montreal to hug me. She was genuinely happy for me, she said exactly the right things and I am ashamed that I expected so much less from her.

2. Parsley

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    (*hug*) I'm glad she was so accepting.

3. PeteNJ

Very happy for you! Congratulations, your sister sounds like a wonderful person.

4. therunawaybff

Congratulations, at least you got some good news today!

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Congrats! I'm glad that she is accepting of you!

6. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Congrats! I'm glad your sister was accepting :slight_smile:

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you, I must say it's been quite an interesting 24 hours (I could use a little less interesting right now)!

8. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, that is a Chinese curse; "may you live in interesting times."

Not that I am cursing anybody.

Congrats with your sister!!!

9. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    :slight_smile: Yeah!!! Congrats.

10. Jim1454

That's wonderful news.

Generally we all fear the worst, and we're seldom ever met with it.

Congratulations!

11. Aldrick

Congratulations. I'm glad things worked out well.

Hopefully, now that you're out to her you can use that as a basis to build a stronger, more open, and more honest relationship. As you move through the upcoming turbulence, it'll help to have someone to lean on.

(*hug*)

12. mav96213

What's really awesome in this is the fact that your sister is showing you the love and support that a sibling "should" offer up, which is really cool, no matter how "she" feels. It's sad when you hear so many stories which don't go the same way, where the "ones we love" are the ones who so quickly judge and turn their backs... as if to say if you're not a "certain way" then I recede my love and support. It's what so many fear... I'm just really happy for you that it went positively for you, and "unconditional love" shines through.

13. Ianthe

Having lived with AIDS for that long, I imagine she's met some gay guys. There are support groups for people with AIDS, and other community things, and she will likely have come in contact with some gay men through that.

I'm so glad she was accepting. Congratulations.

14. CountessAbby

Well now that is just a lovely story. She sounds like a lovely person and I am so glad she is completely happy to take you just as you are. Does sound as if she has had a rough time. She doesnt care!!! It makes not a whit of difference to her...because you are still you! Yay for open minded and accepting people. I am very very happy for you and I bet you are just over the moon!!! This may open up doors for you to begin to let more people know....you may be pleasantly surprised. Hell I am telling people at work my 16 year old son is gay and almost every single one of them has at least one gay person in their own family. Not a single negative word from any one of them. Pretty sad I cant tell my own husband. He doesnt know why I am so paranoid now. Wont let him see my websites, trace my web history, why I am password protecting my personal mail and my phone etc. I have become very paranoid and secretive and now he is becoming suspicious. Its very difficult. I am uber concerned about my sons college and he doesnt know why since we had 2 others who just went fine etc. There is so much he doesnt understand like why our son will NOT be going to the prom etc...and I cannot talk to him about it...at least not yet. I am sure he thinks I am having a sordid affair. I am very happy for you today!!!! Your world just got bigger !!!!