1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honesty

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Marko, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Marko

Marko Guest

I'm 57 but when I tell people how old I am they always tell me I don't look nearly that old. I'm totally natural. No gray hair. I just look younger than I am. I don't like the idea of being dishonest, but if people always turn around and tell me I don't look that old I'm beginning to wonder. Women supposedly lie about their age as they get older, can men do the same?

2. Kay

Kay Guest

First off Marko welcome to EC. It is nice to meet you. Anyone can lie about there age. i nave have and never will. I only see it being a cause of problems in any sort of relationship. If you get the guy than you have to explain why you lied. If you don't I suppose it doesn't matter but I would not take the chance of saying say 40 in your case and falling in love with the 25 year old and then having to say well I am really 57.
    I think women do it more frequently because they fall into the trap of the myth of beauty and fold to the pressures of society which is all screwed up anyway, when it comes to having anything to do with love, relationship, looks and sexuality. Hugs I hope this helps.

3. Marko

Marko Guest

Thanks Kay, I was afraid I knew the answer before I asked the question.

4. therunawaybff

Seems like a silly thing for men or women to lie about to me. What's embarrassing about your age?

5. Kay

Kay Guest

That is usually how it is but we ask for the affirmation. Hugs love bug

6. Marko

Marko Guest

Thanks Runaway but there is a lot of ageism in the gay community.

7. therunawaybff

Really? Hmm. I don't know much about it to be honest. Why is that, do you think?

For me personally, I would be more turned off by the fact that someone lied to me than the fact that they were a few years older than they said they were.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd be really proud to say 57 if I looked far younger. It means you have great genes, take good care of your body, or both. Older guys rock sometimes. :grin:

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, Jack Benny made claiming to be younger than he was a major part of his career....

But with people who matter in one's personal life, I think lying is not a great thing. If nothing else, it could be just a little hard to explain that first Social Security check to those who think one is only 45.

---------- Post added 7th Mar 2013 at 08:45 AM ----------

I've heard about the ageism. On another site that is heavily populated with gays, one guy was even describing the lengths some guys will go to appear young. I can't remember the details, but it was incredible.

You are obviously long term relationship minded.

I'm only speculating here, but I'm guessing that a lot of desire for youth is among those who have shorter term flings of some sort.

10. Marko

Marko Guest

Thanks Swordsman That's great to hear.

11. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Personally I like making references to life events that carry meaning like "a Beaver Cleaver life" it only works when you know the person's age gives meaning to the reference. You would never use that reference with a 25 year old. Your age frames your life for others.

12. Marko

Marko Guest

Thanks stuck mistake, I like to think I remain hip enough to taylor my life events references to the appropriate target audience.

13. ormanout

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I understand the issue, as I have turned 60 and no one believes I'm more than 45. There is a "thing" in gay culture about getting older and we have to fight against it. It's ageism and my encouragement for you is to be proud of being 57 and looking young!