1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fashion tips for the older gay man

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SaleGayGuy, Mar 12, 2013.

1. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As I come to terms with being gay in my early 50s I am trying to envisage how my future life may be and possibly how I may want to rearrange my wardrobe. I am not one of those gay guys who were born with the fashion or interior design gene; if I had been I may have discovered I was gay sooner.

I do have smart designer clothes/shoes for business, but for casual and going out I am a walking disaster :confused:. Looking at the fashion sections in sites like Advocate I only find wardrobe ideas for the younger man. Can anyone point me in the direction for a site giving tips for an older guy who wants to look smart, and give off subtle signals for other guys Gaydar, but not ridiculous :roflmao:.

Sale Gay Guy

OMG : It’s more embarrassing talking about this than sex

2. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

We all know the body changes over time.

However, this process is all about being genuine and true to yourself.

Wear what makes YOU comfortable. If you want to do stylish do so, if you prefer jeans and t-shirt do it.

Coming out of the closet will not affect the clothes I wear or the car I drive, nor will i be painting a rainbow on the house. :slight_smile:

Be you, be authentic, that will attract guys who like who you are not your clothes for fashion's sake.

Shuck

3. Italy or Bust

Just be you. Dress how you dress. Or if you are still not comfy...Go to places (bars, coffee shops) where older gay men congregate and see how they are dressed.

:slight_smile:

4. PeteNJ

Don't wear a t shirt that a 20 year old would wear. Or shoes. That screams desperate.

Jeans work at any age. It is the shoes and shirt/sweater or jacket that will make the difference

I'll take any specific tips too

Anyone up for a shopping trip to Barney's!?!

5. PianoNate

Thank you! I have the same damn problem. I have my concert wear/attire ... tux, black suit, slacks and shirt combos for formal stuff ... but I have no clue when it comes to dressy casual. And anytime I bring it up, everyone looks at me like I'm a moron. My wife said to me a few weeks ago, laughingly: maybe now (that I'm out as gay) I can help her buy clothes. I replied, I wouldn't even know where to start!

Cant help feeling a bit of failure in what is assumed to be an iconic gay trait.

6. RainbowMan

Join the failure club. I'm fairly certain that I look ridiculous any day of the week. On weekends, it's jeans and a t-shirt. During the workweek, it's khakis and a dress shirt (and New Balance running shoes - you should see how weird it looks).

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a total disaster when it comes to fashion, but there are times when I do it right, that cool (or should I say warm) leather jacket I wear during the winter, or my Tilley winter hat (which no one in my family likes, but I wear it anyway because I am defiant).

So I am a rebel when it comes to fashion, I simply have no taste whatsoever LOL!

8. PeteNJ

Are you sure we're really gay? :roflmao:

9. PianoNate

well, I love Barbra ... never miss a Broadway show ... like having sex with men! You're aren't revoking my gay card!!! I only watch football because Tom Brady is hawt!

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For what it's worth, I not only didn't get the gay fashion gene, I apparently got the anti-fashion gene.

I wear clothes that are comfortable and, if I'm going out somewhere where it matters, I try to make them minimally coordinate. Outside of that, I don't put a lot of effort into fashion. I can see that it's important, but I feel that as one gets older, it is a lot less important than it is to people in their 20s or 30s or younger.

11. Robellious

Well this website helps me alot with clothing, it gives you tips on how to wear outfits and when you should wear it any many other things too.. I'm pretty sure you'll find something useful here :slight_smile:

Dress & Grooming | The Art of Manliness

And for signs..
    Nothing says subtle like wearing a LGBT Bracelet or a LGBT bumper sticker.:slight_smile:

Goodluck

12. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Guys

Thanks, it good to know that I’m not the only one who missed out on the gay fashion gene. I’m generally smarter than many straight guys I see when out shopping and tend to wear comfortable clothes but I was looking for something to go that extra mile without going over the top.

Rather curiously when out shopping with my wife she has suggested clothes that I have secretly looked at and then dismissed because I thought they looked a bit too gay and I would accidentally out myself. I wonder if she is trying to tell me something.

Special thanks goes to Conter for the web site suggestion, folks keep them coming.

Sale Gay Guy

13. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am missing the fashion gene, but I am treating it as a muscle. I have gotten some help from a few friends to get me started, but I am becoming better on my own. I used to be a t-shirt and jeans guy, and I was fine with that but I also wasn't trying to attract anyone.

Dressing fashionably makes me feel good so its something I have been trying to get better at, and I feel that over time I have gotten better.

14. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Thatoneguy

Very valid point about the power of clothes to make us feel good after all that time putting ourselves down. Perhaps it is the air of confidence it gives us that helps set off other guys Gaydar.

Sale Gay Guy