1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gonna tell the kids

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by PianoNate, Mar 14, 2013.

1. PianoNate

Well, the wife and I have been talking it over for several weeks, reading advice and books ... and it would appear the day has finally arrived. So ...... wish me luck!

What has two thumbs and is a nervous wreck? This guy! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Seriously, I'm not really anticipating too much drama, but then I expected a lot of drama when I came out to the wife and got none. Here's hoping karmic payback isn't a bitch!

2. Bree

Best of luck! Scary coming out to the most important people in your life.

3. PeteNJ

Great news -- go for it!

Told my kids this past Sunday. Hugs and kisses all around. But really a non event. I mean, after all, things will really be the same, they said (!).

4. Italy or Bust

Good on you, Nate, and you too, Pete.

Keep us posted. We're with you all the way!

5. Jim1454

I'm sure it will be a non-event. The fact that you and your wife are doing this together, and her reaction was as positive as it was, tells me that you don't have anything to worry about.

When I told my kids I reminded them that while this wasn't a secret for them to keep on my behalf, they were also entitled to their privacy and they didn't need to feel like they had to talk about this with their friends either. If they wanted the information to remain private it would.

3 or 4 years later, my kids are both 'out' at school - their friends and teachers know that their dad is gay, and married, and that their mom is also remarried, so they have as a result 3 dads. There haven't been any negative consequences as far as I know.

Good luck!

6. PianoNate

Thanks for you support everyone!

yeah, pretty anticlimactic all in all. When I asked the 7 year old girl if she knew what gay meant, she said no. So the boys, 10 and 12, explained it to her: it's when someone is born so that they like people of the same gender. and "it's no big deal" said the 12 year old.

So, I'd judge that as a success. Of course, the conversation devolved into a discussion on religion after a bit, specifically why we left our church. It was nice to be able to answer any doubts or confusion they had about it. However sticky the topic!

7. PeteNJ

Wowza! Congratulations -- fantastic for you, isn't it glad to know you're loved and still the best Daddy!

I'm very happy for you.

8. Italy or Bust

So many success stories here! So happy for you.

9. Oregontinker

Nice job, I wish you continued success as you come out. There is nothing like being the man you were meant to be.

10. Ticklish Fish