1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Went Red for Marriage Equality

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SimpleMan, Mar 27, 2013.

1. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Decided to force myself out of my comfort zone and went red on Facebook yesterday to show my friends who are out that I support them. It was really uplifting to see over 100 of my friends vocalize support for marriage equality. I made a point to like other friends updates. I was wracked with anxiety all day that someone might attack me for supporting it or even worse it getting back to people higher up in the church my camp serves who could put pressure on my bosses to get rid of me. Again pretty sure my bosses feel similarly to me on the issue, but they would probably lose their jobs if they spoke out. One of the former directors there even posted in support of equality on her profile.

I went back to my normal picture at midnight because there was no getting the anxiety to abate while the equality picture was still up. I wouldn't have gotten any sleep. I have a little bit of anxiety today about whether anyone might just assume I am gay after yesterday, but I realize at the same time it probably would only solidify the opinion of those who already suspect. I guess it's a baby step closer to the door of the closet.

2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Funny thing--I just started a thread about doing the same thing!

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/comin...mall-start-very-small-towards-coming-out.html

I agree: it's a step towards leaving the closet.

Being openly "not straight" seems...overwhelming to me. But small steps are possible. A Facebook profile picture change today. Coming out to someone trusted (if I can just figure out who...sigh) tomorrow. Enough of these small steps will eventually get one to being completely out.

3. theMaverick

I did the same thing despite initially being uncomfortable about it. I went very red for marriage equality. I changed my cover photo, my profile pic, I posted a status, retweeted some things...and I shared a bunch of other pro gay photos. I did receive some negative comments. But that's okay, after doing it, I feel much, much better about myself and I'm in a really positive place after seeing how many people changed their pictures too. Not 100's, but 12 did. As far as I'm concerned, thats amazing!

4. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I went red one hour ago :slight_smile:

5. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done to all of you.

Years ago when I was still firmly in the closet I remember refusing to sign an anti-gay petition. I felt very vulnerable when I refused and I still remember how my voice trembled when someone challenged me on my refusal to sign "It's none of my business" I lied. Years later I look back on that moment as one of my first major steps along the road to freedom ( although quite a bit later, from a better and safer place, I fantasised about what might have happened if I had burst into song with "I am what I am" ...then again, given my singing voice, perhaps better that I didn't.)

6. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is one of the reasons I did it. This could be a pivotal moment for the community. I want to be able to say I publicly supported the right to marriage for my friends who were out even though I wasn't ready to be out myself.

7. PeteNJ

Yep, me too.

I started private messaging some of my gay FB friends who are out of the area and have been coming out to them. Seemed like a good time :slight_smile: Very positive response.

8. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just changed my profile picture and jumped on here at EC to get my feelings out of my system! Haha. I saw a bunch of people doing it yesterday but didn't have the guts to do it myself. This morning, I saw more and more people changing to the red HRC symbol...and those people were all my straight friends. I felt a sudden surge of inspiration and decided to just do it! I haven't changed my profile picture in two years, and I never do anything on facebook; my profile just sits there, and I don't talk to anyone or post statuses or anything else. As soon as I posted the picture, I felt like I just came out a little bit even though it could also indicate that I'm a straight ally. Anyways, I'm kind of shaking a bit and feeling nervous and excited at the same time :eusa_shif

9. Ianthe

In my newsfeed, more people have the red equal sign as their profile picture than not. It seems kind of weird. But in a good way.

10. Kenaz

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Ianthe

I agree! It was similar to the feeling of how "V for Vendetta" portrayed everyone wearing the Guy Faux mask towards the end of the show.

11. Exoskeleton

I went red, but I don't suspect anything to happen because of it, at least not on Facebook. I have 60 friends (three of which went red) on there and we never really interact through it. If they suspect something, they'll likely ask the next time they see me in person.

All the same, I delayed going red. I hate being pressured into doing things, and seeing the explosion of red on Facebook totally felt like pressure. But I went for it today (finally), and I'm glad I did. Yay for making statements!

And a smaller, less enthusiastic yay for straying a little farther away from that closet door.

12. Wolfie Charm

I concur.

I went out for cat things today so I wore red and then I bought a red shirt and put my little guy in it. (Kit, not baby.) I saw one guy wearing red but he had it hidden under his jacket. Definitely a gay guy, too. I was trying to decide if Wal-Mart was a bad location or just nobody in my area knows/only changed FB images lol.

13. PianoNate

I went red too! I was a little afraid to, but seeing how many of my extended Facebook family had done it was humbling. They're not afraid to support me, why should I be afraid to support myself?

I also personally thanked every one of my FB friends who went red for their support.

14. Biotech49

I did it Tuesday evening when HRC first posted it. It was so nice seeing my facebook page filling up with red, red, red! I've been being pretty vocal lately and have been chastised by two people who used to be in my life. Feeling kind of down about that but I don't think I'm destined for hell because they say I am. Sigh... Let's hope this all turns out in our favor, right?

---------- Post added 27th Mar 2013 at 03:18 PM ----------

Wolfie Charm, I saw several people at my local library with red on. I live in a college town but it is still fairly conservative here. I was picking up lesbian romances (hee, hee).

15. theMaverick

...I've lost some serious respect for a few people over the past few days, due to going red for marriage equality and their reactions. I'm hurt and angry by especially one person. I'm leaving my profile red until further notice though.