1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Success stories?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by mommy tears, Mar 30, 2013.

1. mommy tears

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am new here and I am hoping to find some success stories. I need to know that things can work out. I have been separated from my husband for 6 months now. In a relationship and living with another woman. I am happy with her and love her. I am just so worried about my 2 year old son. We split custody 50/50 right now. It's so difficult to be away from my baby. I feel horrible to the point of considering going back to my ex just so that I can be with my son. I know that's not a great reason. It's just so hard to let myself be happy when I am missing my child 50% of the time. :icon_sad:

My ex is also a cop so I worry that he knows more about laws and will secretly take my son from me. So far my ex has been pretty supportive but I don't completely trust him. Ugh, and then if my ex meets someone else....my son could be calling some strange woman mom. It's heartbreaking.

Please tell me it gets better. That it all works out.

2. lionel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Keep strong sister. My former wife and I have the same parenting arrangement . 50/50 week in, week off. Takes lots of cooperation but 2 years in I can promise it works so well for the children , the old way was dad visits his children every other Wednesday and weekends. Terrible idea to make one parent a visitor. You're doing the right thing. Make sure it's a written agreement during the separation . These temporary arrangements before divorce very often become the final custody order . Your children need their dad as equally as they need you. Yes the time apart hurts, but its your job to heal and accept, so you can be on pointe with the children. It gets better! ...When you get better!, keep well, and post lots of questions ! We want to help!

3. mommy tears

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thank you so much for your response! I think part of what is making things difficult for me right now is that my ex lives almost 2 hours away. It does make custody harder. I keep thinking ahead to when my son starts school. How is this going to work then?

4. lionel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Good to be thinking ahead . Yes- you and your sons dad will need to live in the same school district in order to co-parent 50/50. You will partnered through your son with his father forever, as co-parents . Start the conversation now, you have 3 years ., keep well

5. UndercoverGypsy

I have no personal experience with this, but I have a friend (I live in a different country to him now, though) who's parents divorced because his dad is gay. He coped with it extremely well and hasn't had any problems. He was never teased about his parent's choices. Your kid will be fine.

Also, speaking as someone with divorced parents, in almost every case, people call their step-parents by their first names. Your kid won't call some strange woman mom - you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Remember that laws are pretty watertight and that although there might be some loopholes, your husband can't work voodoo magic to get custody. You agreed upon 50/50, and you'll get 50/50.

Good luck.