1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to Be Totally Out

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Rose27, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Really want to be totally "out." Most concerned about kids & issues that would come up for them in conservative neighborhood. In 40's tired of bs. Talking to therapist this week about this. I need to be able to breathe.

2. Jeff

I wish I could find that video of the women that was terrified of coming out due to the same reasons. It turned out once she came out the kids were fine, and really like her new girl friend. Late Bloomers is the name of the group she is from.

Have you seen her video?

3. LoveMusicPoetry

Surely your kids are gonna find out anyway sooner or later? Best be honest, surely?

4. PeteNJ

Your post is one that many of us here could have made...

Being out -- ALL THE FREAKING WAY OUT -- is awesome.

My kids, parents, friends have all been amazing! (only some negative response, its ok)

My life has changed so much, moreso how I feel about myself, my self confidence, the positive energy I have now in all my life.

I wish you well, Rose, it truly does get better.

THe youtube group and video I think Jeff is referring to is OutLateButGreat -- and I love Tracy's videos -- can't find the one Jeff refers to at the moment, but here's another one she made I like a lot

Mindful Living - YouTube

5. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Thinking end of school year to tell them. I'm not dating so not like he will find out by accident. I hope. 3 months isn't that long a wait. Thanks for your support.

6. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds like a good idea. Give him some time when he doesn't necessarily have to face his friends every day to process it. Good luck Rose!

7. PeteNJ

I'm going to say -- tell your kids sooner rather than later. And that having friends around him and being in the routine of school may well be better than sitting at home.

I told my kids months earlier than I had "planned." Guess what, everything in my head about "best time" -- was all in my head. My kids didn't react any differently at all than if I'd told them later. And I told my son's school and the community organizations he's a part of too, so there would be support if he needed it, if he wanted to talk to another adult.

all IMO of course ;-)

HUGS

8. Jeff

Here is the video I was thinking about. I love her and the way she talks things through.

Married with Children.... And Gay. - YouTube

9. Italy or Bust

I feel the same way, Rose. My goal is to be out completely. It sounds easier than it is, but I'm slowly chipping away at it. Good for you to set a goal. I think NJ Pete makes a good point though. There is a never a good time or a bad time to come out. Just a time to.

10. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

worried about youngest -Think he will not care about gay part-Gay marriage in news was helpful- had a good discussion about it with him. but Mommy & Daddy not being together will be rough. We rarely argue so it will be a shock.
    Thank you all for your support.

#10 Rose27, Apr 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2013
  11. Homosexual

Good luck Rose. Honesty is hard, this I know, and sometimes lying is necessary, but openness can bring resolution. I'm still trying to work that out myself

12. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Thanks.Its also the unknown.might be using kids as an excuse. Where to live?Job? So not ready to date but at same time need to be completely free & honest about all aspects of me.Accepting Gay me just beginning of journey.

---------- Post added 4th Apr 2013 at 12:30 PM ----------

Jeff-Great video. Thanks. Just what I needed today. Hugs- Rose

13. Homosexual

Great video. I love her analogy of being in a tall building with flames at your back and a ledge in front

14. Jeff

Thanks Rose.
    (*hug*)

15. Amanda4710

Amanda4710 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi Rose,
    It sounds like we might be in similar situations. I'm 39, two kids, married, and just started coming out a few months ago. I've been putting off the divorce, not because I don't want to be out and gay, but I think because it is so overwhelming thinking about the practical elements of living situation, finances, etc, and scary to think about hurting my kids with this news. My husband and I terrific friends and he has been supportive. The kids have no idea there is a problem.

Anyway, I'm looking for support and would love to offer the same to you, if you are interested.

Best of luck to you!

16. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Thanks Amanda4710. Welcome to EC. Everyone here is so supportive -all ages. The OutLateButGreat video Jeff posted was really good to listen to someone who has survived this and emerged happy & her kids are doing great.Have watched a few from same person in the series. Take care. Rose