1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

They say they love me no matter what

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Jm101, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Jm101

I came out to my family recently and they all say the same. Thing like whatever makes you happy, because I just recently separated from my wife of 8 years, or we love you no mater what. The question is that even thought they say these thing, how receptive will they be once I start getting involved with people of the same sex? FYI I have 2 older brothers and 2 younger brothers

2. 4ever Hearth

I don't have much experience with this but you should definitely just worry about that once it comes along, if it's even something to be worried about at all, because there are some of us who would've killed to hear that or know we're going to hear it.

Besides, I think it might just be you being a little self-consious about it all so just take a breathe, revel in the moment and take the next step. That tends to play out better than possibly psyching yourself out over a potential non-issue.

Hope I helped. :icon_bigg

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I told two siblings. Of course they told me they loved me and support me.

Because of my situation I will need some transitional support (a roof) leaving my marriage. One sibling says no problem, while the evangelical Christian sibling says they can not help me providing a roof in transition.

Basically, I am only looking for a roof over my head.

The really odd part... In hindsight it has come out 30 years ago the evangelical sibling had asked me if I was gay (I knew this but denied it at the time) , i had not known they had approached our parents about me being gay, and spread that same chatter to their in-laws.

When I recently learned about this I asked why they had done this. I was told they loved me and wanted to be supportive in my youth.

So gossiping is loving support?

Gets better...

When I recently came out the evangelical sibling cannot have me under their roof but will borrow money and give it to me. Huh? Hush money?

I guess the evangelical sibling cannot afford to be seen publicly supporting a gay but will do it covertly.

This does not exactly speak to the OP but is related.

Luckily I have a sibling who means what they say and puts their roof where their mouth is.

#3 skiff, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  4. Eleanor Rigby

If your parents and family told you they love you no matter what, there is no reason to think they won't be happy for you and acceptant of your partner when you'll start dating.
    If your parents and siblings had issues about you being gay, they would have reacted badly right away. I'm not saying they won't need some time to adjust, but I'm sure they'll be fine.
    Take care (*hug*) Cécile

5. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is fantastic that they have all said they love you and will still support you! Trust is a difficult thing to start giving people when you have been keeping a secret for so long. I would love to think that I would suddenly be rid of all my trust issues once I start coming out to family and friends, but I doubt that will be the case. It may be something you have to work through. Just focus on trusting in their love for you.

6. theMaverick

All you can do is take it at face value right now.