1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

34, and never been on a date

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by RainbowMan, Apr 6, 2013.

1. RainbowMan

I feel like a complete freak of nature now - sometimes these feelings just consume me. I've known I was gay for a long time, refused to accept it. I was brought up in a Catholic family, homosexuality is wrong, blah blah.

So I've finally got to the point of accepting myself, and realize that I'm a complete freak who has never so much as been on a date, either because I was denying myself any opportunity to do so earlier in life, or because now, I'm a complete failure. I've tried online dating, but that fails to work because no one will even reply to me, which only reinforces the fact that I'm a failure.

I've read Owen's wonderful post on relationships (or at least most of it, til I realize I'm a completely hopeless case), and this jumps out at me:

Perhaps I really am completely maladroit at interacting with people. I can't even get a guy to give me the time of day online, so how in the world am I supposed to do that in the physical world? I'm not into the bar scene, not to mention that's not the type of guy that I would want anyways. However, that seems to be one of the only ways of interacting with "known gay" people that might or might not be seeking someone. I do go to the LGBT Board Games meetup and things like that, but there we're gathering around some common social activity.

This has come up (obviously a repeated theme) in sessions with my therapist, who tells me that "this is all new to you, you're going to fall on your face a few times". Geez, thanks. Probably the dose of reality that I need, but not necessarily what I want.

I guess the question is how to get someone to give me the time of day, and not fall on my face, as that's something that no one wants to do.

2. UP88

I've read Dale Carnegie's book How To Win Friends & Influence People and it was a good book. It helped me and helped other people that I recommended it to. Not sure if self-help books are your thing but it has some great anecdotes and tips.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I second UP88's recommendation, Carnegie's book is an excellent resource whose principal theme can be summarized as follows: show a deep and sincere interest in the other person, use their name, often, and find common ground.

---------- Post added 6th Apr 2013 at 08:30 AM ----------

By the way, the potential for falling on your face will always be there, it is a necessary component of the necessary condition of being vulnerable...I find humour to be the best antidote when it happens!

4. bdman

Hi RainbowMan,

The feelings you are having are common for those of us coming out later. Also online dating is not a very good way to meet people. There are going to be 10x fewer profiles than with straight people. Some of the profiles you will see aren't even real. Some of the profiles are from people no longer logging in. SMany people are only looking for hookups. Not to mention that email response rates are ridiculously low, and its that way for everybody. I think I read in the straight world that if you get 1 response out of 15-20 emails that is pretty good. I've been online for about a year and I've only met two people in person. But it would be embarrassing to tell you how many people I've tried to have at least a conversation with. It's really hard to connect with people online.

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't have any words of wisdom, RainbowMan, but I will say I'm in a similar boat. Except I'm older, and I don't have a therapist to help me navigate.

I've never even been on a casual date. I'll have to read one of those books like Dating for Complete Ding-Bats Like You!...

Yes, you might fall on your face...or at least stumble. But isn't that part of the human growth process? And a sense of humor will help. Years back, the church my mom and I attended had a minister who'd give examples sometimes from his own life. Sometimes he did some incredibly stupid things that must have extremely embarrassing. But somehow he survived, and was able to laugh later. (And he did laugh.)

One huge plus I see for you: you say in your profile you are in NYC. That should give you a good body of people to meet in the real world. I envy that, frankly--I'm not near the point of being ready for a relationship, but have investigated the choices for LGBT social activities where I live. Options are...limited to say the least.

6. June Cleaver

Online dating sucks! Forget the free sites because they are just hook-up sites. I ran a ad on 3 sites for the first time last year and the guys my age who responded were whores and all used old or photoshoped pics. I got tons of 15 to 24 yo guys sending messages. As you can see from my profile pic I am not young looking at 40 so I could not understand what a youngster would see in me. The 15yo had 18 on the profile and 15 in the text saying dont be scaired! LOL I did talk to 2 of the 20's guys who blew my site up, but never met them. The one guy I dated briefly from it was just a whoredog and the first thing he said to me is "You are good looking" like he expected me to be a dog. It was the way he said are long like. After the first date I became his sex stop on his way home from work. Not what I was looking for. In public guys still hit on me as long as I am around them for a short period of time. At the gay bar I can't get even one to talk to me. Fineally the right one just walked up my driveway one day. So don't give up, he may be closer than you think! Just pay attention to the guys around you for signals. Good luck, June

#6 June Cleaver, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  7. RainbowMan

I highly advise one if you can afford it. Mine keeps me grounded, and is more helpful than probably he even knows. Though after our sessions he probably says "what a lunatic!" :grin:

Yeah, when you find that book send me the link :grin:

Yeah, but I'm sure in the moment he was doing anything but laughing. And while I think I've got a good sense of humor, and could probably see it as being hysterical later on, in the moment I would be incredibly hurt. I don't want to be hurt. But no risk, no reward I guess.

NYC is the most awesome place in the world, not just for LGBT stuff, but in general. I love living here, but sometimes it makes the isolation even greater - I know that my perfect companion lives here in NYC, but finding him seems like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

LGBT social events are, as I alluded to in my earlier post, plentiful to say the least. I wish I could export some of them to whereever you are! :grin:

8. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The therapy idea is very tempting, but--alas!--there is the price. I could give up expensive hobbies, I suppose, like paying rent and eating....

I'm sure that minister was not laughing too much when things weren't going right. It was later on. But I think a sense of humor does help. Like you, RainbowMan, I hate being hurt...but unfortunately it does seem to be part of the growth process sometimes.

And I wish some of the NYC opportunities would make it out here!

9. lazyboy

lazyboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You could just ask.

It is now 11:21PM ATL. :dry:

You aren't the only one in that boat BTW. I've never dated either and I'd probably fall flat on my face if I tried as well.

10. redstormrising

I think participating in LGBT social groups is a good start - as you get to know people better you may find a relationship naturally develops.

As for online dating, are you using a free site or one of the paid sites? I started out on free sites and was getting responses and messages, but most of them were people interested in threesomes or who couldn't string a coherent sentence together to save their lives. I was really reluctant to try a paid site, but after months of no luck on the free sites I finally bit the bullet. I noticed a major difference in the client base, which I guess it makes sense from the perspective that people who are willing to shell out money are more likely to be interested in an actual relationship. That's how I met my partner, and we've been together over a year now.

Also, do you have a photo in your profile? I only ask because users without photos are much less likely to get responses. And what do you typically say when you message someone? I usually tried to keep my initial message pretty brief, usually commenting on or asking about something interesting in her profile

11. Jeff

I also have a very hard time with dating. I live in "Homo Heights in the Boystown district." So I should have it all, right? But I find that in a big city, everyone is looking for someone better looking than they look, or/and more masculine, and preferably higher balance in checking/savings account. A nice car is very very important.

So today I decided that I would smile as much as possible at the gym. The gym I go to is one known as the most gay in the county of Los Angeles. It is simply 95% gay men, 3% straight, and 2% women. So anyway, I smiled at many of the guys, some much older than I would want to date, but regardless, I just wanted to send out good vibes and feel good about that. I got one guy who I saw looking in my direction, and at me, so I smiled. He did not react at all, it was like he did not want to acknowledge that he was even looking at me. So I held the smile, and he stared right through me with not so much as a nod back. I sensed he was bitter, aging and bitter about it. Another guy was looking at me and I looked back friendly. He walked away as if he was one of the 3% and did not enjoy the look from me. One guy I saw whom I have seen around for many years smiled at me back.

But anyway, that's life in the big city. I am used to it. And maybe I need a new gym, as I have been at the same one for many years. I have a very sweet renewal fee per year.

I am not giving up. But I think I need to try harder at fashion sense, and maybe upgrade my car. How sad to say that huh? But listen, everyone hip is wearing black socks now in case you did not notice. Black socks to work out in is considered cool and fashionable. I have not bothered, and still wear white ones. So I could get with it and fix that, and it would be cheap. So maybe I just don't care enough. I don't know?

12. RainbowMan

Yeah, that's sort of what I'm hoping. I halfway joked in my last therapy session that "Mr. Right hasn't fallen in my lap, so I must be doing something wrong." My therapist just laughed and said "oh, is that how it's going to work?" (he knew full well that I was joking - out of context, it might seem callous, but it wasn't)

A paid site, obviously can't mention which one as not to run afoul of the rules here.

Yep, 9 of them to be exact! I'm one of the ugliest guys on the planet though (or at least I think so), so they may be more detrimental than helpful, dunno.

My intro messages used to be freaking books. Then I searched online, and found that I really shouldn't do that, and instead go for the short sweet type. Now I try to make them no more than a few sentences that might start a conversation, but alas, no conversation is forthcoming.

#12 RainbowMan, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  13. redstormrising

LOL i'm sure that's not the case. do you have a friend or someone you trust who can review the content of your profile and give you feedback on whether you are portraying yourself in the best possible light? that was something i had a hard time with, it's always kind of awkward when you're basically called upon to toot your own horn

14. RainbowMan

Asking someone to look at it isn't a bad idea. I've asked someone, we'll see what they have to say.

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Therapy is the most valuable investment you could possibly make in yourself. It will be worth waaaaaay more in the satisfaction and happiness it brings you over time than any hobby or anything else you're spending your money on at present. And... most therapists will work on sliding scale and there are many resources for lower cost therapy, through schools with social work or psychology programs.

I also very strongly recommend Joe Kort's amazing "Ten Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Find Real Love" which has almost nothing to do with the title, but everything to do with finding out about yourself and learning to navigate the various issues that gay men face. There's a lot of discussion in the book about coming out later in life which would benefit you.

Finally, if you're in any reasonable sized town, there are usually social groups for gay men; things from potlucks to hikes, dinner parties, pool parties, mixers, board game nites, book clubs... all sorts of social activities for people who aren't into the bar/club scene and -- surprise -- the quality of people you find at such events is generally *much* higher than what you'd find at clubs or bars because they are generally not there looking for hookups, *and* they are generally a lot closer to sober :slight_smile: Check around to see if there's a gay center in your area, or check meetup.com, which lists a lot of such opportunities.

16. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Chip, unless I can find a therapist whose sliding scale slides to zero, I'm out of luck.

OK. Maybe zero is not necessary. I say that for dramatic effect. But realistically, the sliding scale will not slide low enough.

I'm at least curious to see if there are options. I'll be looking this week. But I frankly don't have much optimism.

The school idea above is something worth considering. A fast check in my area does indicate one college has such a program. Although, unfortunately, it's a family based program, not individual.:bang: However others may have better luck with the schools in their area.

17. bdman

Do you have insurance that covers mental health? There are therapists that will accept what the insurance covers and work with you on the rest. In cases of hardship, some may even just write off what you might owe out of pocket.

18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What city are you? I have a list of resources I can check to see if there are any options nearby. You can PM me if you don't want to say publicly.

19. starfish

BMC77 you don't say what part of the country you are in. Look to see if there is an mpowerment project group in your area. Mpowerment Project

I used to volunteer for the one in the Austin area. I got a lot out of it and we had free group sessions 1-2 times a month. A lot of it focus around safer sex, but we also spent a lot of time talking about relationship and with various gay issues. I met one of my closest friends there, so it was worth going for that alone.

One thing I have noticed about online dating is that all of the guys are as busy as I am. So that explains the low response and contact rates I see. I've found that I tend to get more responses if my initial contact is brief. I usually just start out with a hey, how are you today. Sometimes I'll just say hey, what do you think of this weather. Though I usually reserve that one for in person contact. I think I'll add hey can you give me the time to repertoire. The great think about the weather one is that it is so wonderfully cliché, that it usually gets a smile out of him.

I didn't come out until I was 28, and never dated before that. Most folks get the awkwardness of dealing with their sexuality and learning to form relationships when they are teenagers. Most of their peers are going through it as the same time. Us gay folk go through this at different times at life. Add this to the fact that we have careers, family, and other commitments, which take up a lot of time. So we are behind the 8 ball on this.

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
    --Theodore Roosevelt

This is something that I live by. Change is scary and rejection hurts there is no denying that. However we are stronger than we give ourselves credit for. Like other have said it dosen't hurt to laugh at yourself. I do stupid stuff all the time, and sometimes literally fall on my face. I'll heal and I'll get over it, so I don't wait to laugh about it.

20. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Back to this thread a little late, but better late than never...

Chip--I think I've tracked down Joe Kort's book locally. Thanks! As for local therapy resources, I've got a few leads that I'm looking into. We'll see if anything happens. If they don't pan out, I'll have you check your list.

No.

I think I did find an mpowerment thing, although it's more than an hour away. Past that, they state age range from 18-29, which is just a little younger than I am.

But I'm glad to know about them...it's something I'll keep in mind to recommend to others.

---------- Post added 9th Apr 2013 at 05:50 PM ----------

Finally, sorry RainbowMan for hijacking your thread with my problems!