1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out of the closet with no direction

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Jm101, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Jm101

My family is ok with me being gay and I feel ready to tell my wife that its time end our marriage go separate ways so that we both can be happy. The question is we're do I start. Do I just run off to New Orleans and go crazy or do I just start with one gay friend and then add a few more later. :help::icon_sad:

2. Italy or Bust

Not sure what you should do, but my plan, if it helps, is not to plunge directly into a relationship. I plan to become active in healthier activities and not spend as much time on a bar stool as I am tempted to do. I will work with my therapist to focus on being a healthy individual, and pursuing coming out to everyone. My goal is to live openly, honestly, and authentically.

But I'm no prude, either, so I might go a little crazy too ;-)

3. Start with one gay friend and then add a few more.

Remember: expectations=/=reality. Try and familiarize yourself with the emotional impact of coming out before you go crazy with it

4. B33458

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Though, I was never married, when I finally did manage to Come Out - finally and as nearly completely as I could - there was a lot to learn considering I was 54 yo. I have in the past two years been moving slowly and making friends and allowing myself to grow comfortable with the idea of being gay and all that that means.

I know a couple of people that went crazy after Coming Out and at least one of them wound up getting HIV. That's not the death penalty it once was, but from what he tells me, it's not that easy to deal with at times either.