1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

stress eater - coming out & weight loss

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by skiff, Apr 9, 2013.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I began thinking about coming out a year ago. Many things, primarily my happiness move me forward. Part of that happiness was body image and getting it back.

Being gay as well as being a stress eater you can imagine what 21 years of marriage did for me.

I have made huge progress and only hae ~30 lbs to lose before I hit my optimal weight.

However, this transitional phase of being on the cusp of freedom is damn stressful.

Weight loss is stuck, the gym becoming a real challenge to do daily, it is a struggle.

The issue is being a stress eater.

I know there is no simple answer. I know how weight falls off me when I am happy.

Any suggestions for this stressful transition?

---------- Post added 9th Apr 2013 at 05:09 AM ----------

The bulk of the weight fell off during a 8 month non-sexual friendship with a closeted guy I worked with. This friendship and how it reinforced my sense of loss in not being in a gay relationship was a primary motivator to me coming out.

2. Femmeme

I'm a stress eater too. One of the things I do to keep it in check is only keep snacks like celery and carrots around my house, everything else in my kitchen requires prep and cooking.That doesn't keep me from grabbing junk food when I'm out, but if I'm at home I have to think before I eat something that would throw off my diet.

I also do things like if I really, really feel the need for something like ice cream I set a task for myself (like cleaning the bathroom or sorting through a pile of paperwork) and only allow myself the treat as a reward for finishing the task.

3. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Skiff -Me too. Stuck after 40lb weight loss. Yes-think it coinsides with not moving forward in other areas of my life-Like living in complete truth about being gay. I know its stress because I gave up ALL the good food stuff & don't drink & take vitamins & vegetarian too. And probably lack of sex too....