1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joe Kort

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by skiff, Apr 13, 2013.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I cannot say enough good things about Joe Kort's books!

Especially the first one on this page;

Joe Kort's Books | Dr. Joe Kort

10 Smart Things Gay Men Can Do To Improve Their Lives

He is dead on! Especially for us "later life" folk.

I want to hug the guy.

2. Stoical

Thanks, looks interesting. I just finished up what I was currently reading and was looking for a new book. Maybe I'll pick up one of Dr. Kort's. I'm sure a little "self help" couldn't hurt anyway. :slight_smile:

3. Italy or Bust

I just downloaded a couple free talks... will listen later. Thanks for the info!

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've talked a lot about Dr. Kort's books, and I think they're really about the best out there for people in the process of coming out.

My fav is "Ten Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Find Real Love." It's a thick book, and isn't a breezy read, but is really packed with useful information for gay men, and as Skiff says, it's particularly good for people coming out later in life. (It's also horribly named, in that it has little to do with finding real love. I suspect the publisher had a hand in naming it to sell more books.)

5. PeteNJ

I thought his earlier book was not well written, more like a collection of blogs or posts. And random.

His later book -- finding love -- that, OTOH, is absolutely great. I'm re reading it right now.

6. Stoical

I picked up 10 Smart Things Gay Men Can Do To Improve Their Lives last night on ebook. If I like it, I'll probably get Real Love too.

Maybe I'll spring for the paper copy next time though. Forgot how ebooks were kind of a PITA to flip back and forth through. :dry:

7. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have both "10 Things" books on Kindle app for iPhone and they are easy to manage.

The "10 Things Improve Lives" is a similar style as the "10 Things Real Love".

One of my favorite idea so far in "10 Things Improve Lives" is that coming out is not just about sex. It is admitting who you are; romantically, spiritually, emotionally and psychologically.

8. Al123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    His two books are great. I was reading his later book about true love when I began to realize how much I had suppressed my gay self. It was the start of my coming out process (at least to others). I must have come out a bit to my self in order to purchase the book :icon_wink).

I also had some really bad times a couple of months ago when I was feeling very confused and actually contacted him and had a 75 min Skype session which was really good and affirming.

After all it is really hard to tell your spouse of nearly 21 years "I am gay". Mixing up the emotional pain of not wanting to hurt others can cloud one's thinking about one's own sexuality.