1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Big Step & Time to Tell Kids

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Ohana, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Ohana

I leased an apartment today. I'll be moving in in mid-May. I actually feel very excited about this. I can't wait to have my own place. And I can't wait to have time there on my own. I love my kids, of course, but the idea of coming home from work, just being able to relax in peace and quiet....ahhhhhhhh.

With that step complete, comes the next step of telling the kids about everything - divorce, moving, etc. I don't think either of them - 9 and 5 - have a clue. Husband and I have remained very good friends since my coming out to him in December so I doubt the kids have noticed anything is different. Advice and encouragement welcome! Would love to here of others experiences with their children.

Thank you all so much!

2. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Awesome! New role model! :slight_smile:

3. Ohana

I don't know about role model. Sometimes it feels like life just brought me to this point whether I wanted it to or not! It was more scary to stand still than to move forward. I'm glad it's happened, and is happening. I feel a bit fuller, a bit more like myself, with every step.

4. lionel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Ohana, broad topic, mediation vs. lawyers, child custody agreements, property division, how to tell the children, when to tell the children, what to and what not to tell ... Instead of just Havin at it, maybe ask a question. I'll be glad to help as much as I can with answering

5. Jeff

I would if it were me, just tell the kids about you moving, just that for now. The reason can wait for another day.

Too much info, and the kids are really fairly young yet, I would wait until oldest is 13, or until they have completely adjusted to you not living with their dad. It might seem like too much to get used to at once. But then you know your kids better than I.

6. scottsulli

I've never done it, but looks like I will need to sometime soon and I have read about this a fair bit and the majority of the advice seems to the younger you tell them the better. Some people say that before 10 years is best as then they have time to get used to it before they hit puberty and have to deal with their own sexuality.

As for what to tell them, I saw one post which said that they just said "Mommy has worked out that she likes girls" For young kids you probably want to keep it simple. They can then ask the questions they want. You want to make sure they know that nothing about your love for them will change etc, which is apparently all they really want to know. Good luck.

7. scottsulli

8. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hi ohana (love the name by the way its hawaiian like me or half of me at least hehehe)

i think what your doing is good... get your self sorted first and then let your kids know. i like how you and ex husband are still good friends...

please come back and post how it goes