1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local Activity Groups

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by skiff, Apr 26, 2013.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

If I am not allowed to use Meetup please amend

======

Hi,

Is it my imagination or are there many more lesbian groups on Meetup than GBT?

If this is true can somebody explain why to me.

I am not complaining about lesbian group numbers just wondering why the disparity?

Thanks.

2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure what we're allowed to use, sometimes. I just err on the side of caution. Why is a certain dating app banned, but I've seen moderators mention the site that has rusty refrigerators, broken cars, and fast hookups advertised? Ah, the mysteries of EC. (I'm sure there are, of course, good reasons if I knew all the whys and wherefores.)

Anyway, I checked one site that allows one to find social groups that I suspect is the one you are referring to, Skiff. I've noticed the problem you have: in my area, the only groups mentioned are for lesbians. Anything for men on that site is an hour away--if traffic is good (and it usually isn't). There are a few other options not on that site that have turned up...but disappointingly few, given a population of a million between two counties.

3. wrhla

wrhla Guest

Yeah. I was surprised that even where I live in Hollywood, there's not much I've been able to find that seemed like it was what I was looking for. That's how I ended up here instead.

There's a monthly PFLAG meeting in Silverlake I was thinking of checking out. But I should probably enquire by e-mail first if they have the sort of support group I was thinking about. Basically, I was thinking of something like this site, where people at varying stages of coming out could exchange stories. Now that I have found EC, I'm not sure I need a place to go in person. Maybe if I'm ready to start actually meeting gay/bi men. But that's still months away for me.

4. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, the common reference to the "app/s that shall not be named" is kind of funny. I have seen the app and agree it is a pit worthy of being warned off, but how people refer to it here is a funny take on our virtual community. Really creative of somebody initially.

So what is wrong with us GBT that we do not form Meetup groups?

I am going to have to do something about this in my area.

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2013 at 02:29 PM ----------

I am talking about LBGT hiking, sailing, dinner clubs, sports leagues, film buffs.

A place to meet up that is not a meat market.

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    During the last month, I attended a PFLAG meeting at one of the chapters in the western half of my state. I went mainly because it was a chance for real world LGBT contact.

The experience wasn't bad...but frankly, I find more value with EC. Apart from some real world interaction, EC is better simply because it's available to me 24/7. I have in some ways made huge progress simply because EC is a part of my daily life. Too much a part, I think as I stare at the mountains of things I should be doing instead of writing this.

But you might check PFLAG out...

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2013 at 03:44 PM ----------

Forming a group of your own is a fix. It's not something I see myself doing, because I don't really see myself as a leader. (Both my parents had leadership roles. My dad spent more than 20 years as some sort of department head. And my mom was president of a volunteer group. I have seen the headaches that being in charge can bring... Plus I just don't have the right personality.)

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2013 at 03:46 PM ----------

So this rules out a group that meets at, say, a shop that specializes in selling grass fed beef, or fine, carefully crafted sausages?!?

(Sorry. Couldn't resist!)

6. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't want to simply view my sexuality as a problem to be expressed and managed. There comes a time when a bird needs to leave the nest. Local activity groups that contain LGBT people and a shared interest but do not focus on sexuality is a great starting point.

You cannot live a gay life fully until you leave your personal fishbowl and dive in.

Are there people here who can comment on the local activity groups?

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And that's my view.

I still have my share of issues, I suppose. Although some of the issues I've discussed here are ones that could be a problem for any orientation. Such as factors I see that limit my dating success: the size of my checkbook (not that I have one--those are 20th century relics!) is a negative whether I'm trying to date a man or a woman.

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2013 at 03:56 PM ----------

Now I will shut up and head back to hide under my rock...

I hope there is someone here with experience with activity groups who have some useful information...

8. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, but hiking is free, biking is free, etc, etc, etc.

Local activities can hub on anything.

In Salem, MA there is a LGBT Harry Potter Meetup. The Boston Queer Adventurers do paintball, hikes, and film nights. Even saw a gay/bi art/architecture Meetup.

Some things cost money some don't. Perfect for the LGBT on a budget.

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2013 at 03:03 PM ----------

But what about the original question...

Why so few GBT Meetups?

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, I know there is a possibility of low cost/free activities. I just give my example as being an example of an issue that can be an issue whether one dates men or women. And, of course, it may or may not be an issue given the specific people involved. But thinking LTR, finances can be an issue.

10. PeteNJ

I'm in the NYC tri-state area - and even excluding NYC there are tons of gay meet ups. There are actually so many, its hard to keep track of. I joined a camping with with 700+ members -- problem there is the trips are filled almost instantaneously. Also 2 that go out to eat (who doesn't like to eat!), 1 that hits plays/etc.

Now whether there are more L vs G events -- can't say I noticed. I will say that having both L & G in the same events -- does make it a bit more human and there is less sexual banter. But then, I have nothing against fun sexual banter.:icon_wink

11. AKTodd

My partner and I are part of a local Meetup group for LGBT couples. Out of 46 people, maybe 6 are guys (we met one of the other male couples last night actually). Locally, there was one gay Meetup buddy group (hiking, dinner, etc. I think) that apparently lasted for a day and a half and then disbanded (don't know why). There are several other groups in the area but they are mostly (all?) geared to lesbians (they explicitly say that on their pages).

Looking around Meetup as a whole, there actually do seem to be a number of GBT groups, but they are mostly found in major population centers.

I'm not sure if it's a matter of gay guys (couples or otherwise) gearing their socializing through other channels (bars, clubs, circles of friends) or pure coincidence, or lesbians just being more social in this particular area or something else.

We're having a lot of fun with the group regardless:slight_smile:

Todd

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think Meetup is a great resource for people to make authentic connections that aren't hookups. :slight_smile: In addition to LGBT-centered groups there are a whole bunch of other interesting ones, from athletics to outdoorsy to spiritual to craft-oriented to just about everything else.

There shouldn't be any issue mentioning Meetup as long as you don't mention any specific Meetup groups, or your username at Meetup.

13. RainbowMan

The board game meetup that I go to is predominantly gay. It's not really something that we discuss our sexuality at, we're there to have fun and play board games :slight_smile: Like Chip mentioned, authentic connections that aren't hookups.