1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you could choose...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Martjain, Apr 29, 2013.

?

If you could, would you change your sexual orientation?

1. Yes.

20 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. No.

48 vote(s)
    70.6%
  1. Martjain

Idk really where to post this, admins, if it's the wrong section, move it. :icon_wink
    Anyway, my question is if you could choose to be straight or gay/bi/lesbian, what would you choose? Would you still be what you are? Would you choose to be straight? Or even another sexual orientation? Why/Why not?
    In my case, I would say no, I'd stay bi, idk, I just like me being kinky with men, kinky with women, experiment being super gay-like sometimes. I just love how I am now, even though some people could have problems with it, idc. But that's just me, luckily I've developed pretty healthy self esteem. Also I've hadn't many gay harassment during my life, so it wouldn't have made my life less complicated being straight, but more boring I guess haha. But enough about me! Tell me about you!(*hug*)

2. moonwillow

I voted yes, but not because I would want to change who I am. I voted yes because I would like to change the uncertainty behind my sexual orientation. I've been with men, married one and had kids even, but I'm by far happier with my girlfriend than any guy I was ever with. And the sex is way better too. But, because I've been with men before I've got this huge cloud of self-doubt hanging over my head: am I bi? or am I lesbian? *shrugs*

#2 moonwillow, Apr 30, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  3. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I chose yes. Who knows, maybe it'll change in the future because right now I'm still struggling to accept myself for being gay. But as of now, yes, no questions asked.

What would I like to change to? Straight or asexual. I'd try them both out and see which one I like better.

I said straight because whenever I meet guys I feel a sort of connection to them. This is not a romantic or sexual connection, it's just that we're both guys and because of that I feel that I can relate to them. And because of that I want to bond with them (not sexually or romantically, mind you). However, I then remember that, unlike these other guys, I'm attracted to men and not women and suddenly I feel like I can't bond with them. And I find my attraction to men to be such a nuisance. I really, really want, more than anything, to be able to bond with other guys without feeling sexually attracted to them... It's such an annoying distraction and it makes me feel uncomfortable and self conscious whenever I find a guy I want to bond with in a non-sexual manner attractive.

I said asexual because for as long as I can remember I've never wanted to feel sexually attracted to anyone, male or female. In fact, at first I honestly thought that sexual attraction was just a phase that people grow out of eventually, and I was pissed when I discovered that it's not just a phase. I really didn't care whether it was men or women I was attracted to, I didn't want to be attracted to anyone. Though I will admit, had I found myself attracted to women instead of men I would have just sucked it up and accepted it...

So yeah, sorry if I kind of rambled on there.

4. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I am very happy with who I am. It is society that has issues .

5. allnewtome

This is exactly why I voted yes as well.

6. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I consider the Yin Yang of life you never get to change just one thing. There are cascades of changes. I would not risk the butterfly effect for good or ill. Crap shoot.

7. hellomoto123

hellomoto123 Guest

I dont think i would change it. I think the best of both worlds is great.

8. JPC

JPC Guest

I don't know, for years I really wanted to not be gay, I would've given anything to be straight. I'm used to it now and I'm pretty glad that I am so I don't think I would change.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. While the orientation does have its downsides, I'd say overall that I love being bi. Monosexuals are missing out. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Martjain

Thank all for your answers! Really meaningful. Keep posting!

11. Musician

I voted yes. I'd like to have choice. Actually, as a bisexual I do have choice :slight_smile: . But I wish the doubt and questioning would go away, though I'm re-learning to be happy in my hetero relationship - and finding out that even with my bisexuality, I can be emotionally and sexually very happy with my beautiful girlfriend. For me, I think it might be just the doubt subsiding, and me being comfortable with attraction to both genders.

12. Italy or Bust

So happy to be gay!

13. ems

ems

It's in me too deep so I would stay gay

14. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    NO, the world doesn't become a better place by becoming what everyone else thinks you should be, or becoming their idea of "normal". If things never changed we'd still have slavery here, and women would be little more then house maids. Things didn't change because someone said: "this is just the way things are." They changed because someone dared to say: "It's wrong."

15. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    I love being RAINBOW

It's Fabulous! I would not change it at all. At least, Now I wouldn't. It's not everyday someone tells you they're LGBT+, So it adds for an adventure, as well! :newcolor: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

16. QueerQueen

When I think about it, I'm proud of who I am and where I am now, but if I were right back from the beginning I probably would say I'd rather be straight, only because of how easy it is. Right now, hell no I wouldn't want to be any other sexuality, BUT if I had to chose to change it, I think I would go with asexual, because ugh having feelings can be a pain in the butt.

17. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe back when I was first becoming aware of my orientation, I might have chosen to swap over to the straight path just because it would've seemed easier. But I've been out and proud for over two decades now, and my life kicks ass. No way would I change it. :slight_smile:

Lex

18. EddyG

No way would I want to change! I just came out after 26 years of marriage at the age of 54. I am who I am, if I weren't gay I wouldn't be me. Even with all the denial and emotional turmoil, etc. I wouldn't want to not be attracted to guys -- they're just so beautiful and always have been.

It's interesting when I came out to my wife 7 weeks ago we had this exact conversation and I felt just as strongly then as now. I love being attracted to guys.

I think it was an episode of Queer as Folk where one character said something like, if I took a pill to make me straight I'd have to take another pill right away to bring me back to gay.

19. Iowan1976

I wouldn't want to change who I am...so I voted no. If I could change society's views on homosexuality so that It would be acceptable at a social level, like it is for heterosexuals, it would be so much easier. If that were the case, it would be easier to find a boyfriend. :slight_smile:

20. beachgoer27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love being a Lesbian!! I am finally true to who I am, and I will never apologize again. I love myself, which allows me to fully love another.

I've been rather lucky so far with coming out. While I am only out to those closest to me, I am slowly coming out to those who are also in my life. For the most part, people have been loving and accepting. Come to find out, some knew before I even confessed it. Others had to let it sink in, but still love me for who I am. Those who cannot accept me in the future, well, I don't need negative people in my life any way. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: