1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Careful what I wish for...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by skiff, May 2, 2013.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I envy you guys who's wives are vocal.

I try talking to my wife about moving out and I get zero back. It is as if I did not speak.

It is either punishment or denial but either way it is like being married to an small child.

At least you guys who married vocal woman have a chance at communication and/or know where you stand.

2. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Husband says its all up to me since he has nothing to do w/ cause of break-up. Sigh. Going to 1st legal meeting alone & will have found a place for July 1st. (hopefully) Even though actual full move might take a bit longer as child needs to adjust. But I will have a place.
    Feeling good about my decisions.Will look for Apartment w/2br as I want more joint custody time than I did before. Stay Strong, friend.

3. EddyG

Hey Skiff, I'm just out 7 weeks to my wife of 26 years. My hunch, not knowing much about your situation other than the few posts of yours I've read, is that she's in a lot of pain and grieving, and different people handle that differently.

For my wife, she tried to "go it alone" talking about all this only with me, but it is emotionally draining to say the least for me, though I do know where she stands, you're right. But I told her I thought she needed to talk to other people, friends, women in similar situations. She finally spoke to a divorced female friend which seems to have helped, and she joined the Straight Spouse Network (you can google it) and found someone in a roughly similar situation about 90 minutes away (we live in the boonies), who she's emailed and going to meet up with next week. She's also going to start talking to a therapist.

If you can, maybe encourage her to find someone to talk to about this if she hasn't already.

4. Jim1454

I'd agree. If nothing else, the two of you should be going to couples counselling so that you can talk in a 'safe' environment. She also needs her own support network though. This kind of dramatic life change isn't something that anyone should try to get through on their own.

Be sure that she knows that you're still there for her - to support her and help her. But she should have other people to talk to, given you're the primary source of her stress at the moment.