1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Packing help?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by skiff, May 2, 2013.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I need packing advice.

I am moving 600 miles and initially only taking clothes.

I went through all my clothes and tossed a lot of stuff, but there is still more clothes than the tiny space I will move into can accommodate.

What is the correct amount of clothes to take when moving into a furnished studio apartment?

Two weeks summer clothes, two weeks winter clothes, couple suits and outer wear?

I have never lived in a space this small. I assume off season clothes are packed away?

Clothes have never been my thing.

Lots of us are moving into smaller places, what do you take?

2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think this is one of those questions that needs to be answered person to person. You cite a suit, for example. Take a good guess what I donated to a thrift shop recently? (My area is pretty casual, and only used car salesmen seem to wear suits anymore. Plus it really wasn't very good. I'd rather have the space now, and, if I need a suit later on, get something better. Thrift shops always have a selection.) So the starting point is trying to figure out what you might actually need.

I have stored clothes away during the off season at times.

One issue to consider is laundry. If its easy to do, then you need fewer clothes. But if laundry is not easy, then more clothes are probably a good idea.

Of course, one could really simplify by moving to a nudist colony...

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I think there is a direct correlation between how easy it is to do the laundry and the amount of clothes you should bring.

Nudist colony is good too, more favourable to certain climates though...

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I never appreciated how important this was until I died and went to Laundromat Hell. (Well, not literally died...if I had, I wouldn't be torturing all of you now, would I?) Before that era, I'd do laundry at least a couple of times a week. Such a thrill! (Actually, I know it sounds sick, but I do actually enjoy doing laundry. The washer that was here when I moved in was an ancient Kenmore, and it could be more entertaining than network TV. Not that that is a huge accomplishment.) But when I was stuck with the Laundromat, I really appreciated having a good wardrobe, since going to do laundry pretty much wiped out an evening. Once a week, typically, was as much as I was willing to do.

5. Stoical

If space is limited, packing away off-season clothes is a good practice. Winter clothes tend to just hang there taking up closet space during the summer, and vice versa. Imho, it's often better to pack the off-season clothes away, and then rotate them back into your active wardrobe as the weather changes.

I don't particularly like doing laundry, so having two weeks of wearable clothes sounds good to me. :icon_bigg But then again, I suppose it depends on your personal preference. Cost may be another thing to consider, as well as the size of your laundry machines. The ones in my apartment complex are a bit on the smaller side, so I have to split up the laundry into more loads than I did in my prior place - which = more $$$ spent on laundry.

6. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I was single and money grew on trees I had it laundered for me.

That was great until the laundry mat burned down with two weeks of my clothes in it!

Of course they were under insured. That is how I learned all about how homeowners insurance depreciates clothes. Worn once barely pennies a piece. I learned then 100% replacement insurance always.

Sandy victims are learning about insurance and depreciation now.

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Of course, the laundry problem can be solved another way... My father knew some guy in college who just had a huge pile of clothes in the middle of the floor. Each day, he'd dig something out from the bottom. Wore something different each day, and kept everything in rotation....

8. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Keep it simple going into summer. Do not like laundry mats..Dryers get too hot....Can I request day of washer/dryer use in divorce? I'm serious.
    You can get these flat plastic storage bin w/rollers for under bed storage of less used clothing.

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, yes--if one stores clothes, it may not a bad idea to keep some out of season clothes handy. In my area, at least, it's not unusual to have a nice day or two in very early spring that screams "short sleeve shirt!" weather.

Also I've heard that when storing clothes, it's a good idea to have them clean. It's tempting to think, well, I can box this shirt up even if it needs washing. I'll be wanting to wash it, anyway to get rid of any "storage smell." But stains could get set by sitting around six months.

10. Stoical

I had a friend like that in college. He always had a bit of the "dirty clothes" odor to him, hehe. :grin:

11. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Eee-ooooo

I never knew you could compost dirty clothes.

That explains my son's room.

12. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You might aim to get your own washer. Even in an apartment, there are ways of doing it--although the landlord might not approve. There are small washers intended for apartments. One idea i toyed with when I was in Laundromat Hell was to get a wringer machine, which would require zero special plumbing. But running it would take more ambition that I have most days.

The Laundromat dryers where I went were not a problem. But I hate the dryer I'm using now...load the clothes, and come back next week sometime, and they might still be slightly damp. I wonder if that isn't harder than heat.

One good thing about heat: it's supposed to help sanitize. Because the dryer here runs cold, and the hot water is limited to about 100 degrees at the washer end, I actually soak anything that needs to sanitized in a bucket of really hot water (the hotter the better). This would be stuff like hand towels. Regular clothes I just want clean, and warm water is good enough for that.

#12 BMC77, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013
  13. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Really guys -Aways store clean clothes. Ok if wrinkled....

14. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have seen "diaper washers". They are really small. Might do a days worth of laundry. Shirt, pant socks, etc. but then a daily ritual.

15. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

I'll need one of those European washer/ dryer in- one machines. Just looked it up mght be worth cost!

---------- Post added 2nd May 2013 at 05:11 PM ----------

I have seen "diaper washers". They are really small. Might do a days worth of laundry. Shirt, pant socks, etc. but then a daily ritual.- Skiff

Don't mind daily load of laundry....used to 3 a day...

16. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Take a good look at thrift store prices. You get the right store, and you can pick up expensive clothes for less than Wal-Mart prices. The only things I buy new are underwear, socks, and swim suits (which I have to buy new, anyway, because I never see anything but standard trunks or board shorts used).

17. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Motorhomes in the US have those all in one machines. They are here.

18. Stoical

It never occurred to me to store clothes away that weren't clean. Men are pigs, I guess... :grin:

19. Convoy

I only run my laundry once a week anyways, I imagine I'll keep it the same when I'm dorming. That and I wear pretty much all the same cloths year round, T-shirts and jeans; I might swap some shorts in during summer or long sleeve shirts in winter with possibly a pullover.

I'm only living like ten miles from campus though, so I'm just going to keep a bunch of stuff there in 'storage'; I'd probably take a bit more if I was living away further, but not too much for fears of theft/management.

20. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It never would have occurred to me, either, but I actually read that advice in a magazine. And I guess I can imagine taking the attitude with some things (like a coat) that I'll just clean it when it comes out of storage.