1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay parents with queer kids?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by PeteNJ, May 4, 2013.

1. PeteNJ

Ok all --

Last night I was a a bi/gay Dad's meeting -- there were probably a dozen men there. Out of that group -- 4 of us have queer kids -- ranging in age from 15 - 20.

I was pretty stunned, that's a statistical outlier.

Is it that out kids grew up in more liberal, open, introspective homes? Its worth noting that 2 of the 4 kids are not bio kids, they are adopted, so it ain't the genes passing from father to son.

Ladies? Men? Anyone else with queer kids? (this fascinates me)

2. moonwillow

Well both of my kids are too young to know for themselves (3 and 4.5) but for a while I've been curious about my oldest and some of my friends and even my mother (before she knew I was bi/lesbian) have mentioned how they wouldn't be surprised if he was gay. As he will be starting school this fall and have more access to other kids his age we might see a little more indication but we may not. Only time will tell.

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You know my thinking on this topic. We all have the necessary genes for this, it is a matter of gene expression and what enhances or mitigates gene expression. That is just my opinion and there are hundreds/thousands of them.

The only one I know to be wrong is that it is not a choice. As far as nurture goes, could somebody beat it out of you or love you into switching teams? Sure you could parrot it but it would never be authentic.

---------- Post added 4th May 2013 at 12:39 PM ----------

Something is different about my two sons... Never a date or party at age 18 and 20. Plenty of sleep overs with their buddies. I know that behaviour, it was mine. I could be projecting.

4. sillyolme

Well, I always used to think my mum was a homophobe and then discovered she used to identify as bi. I don't think she raised me to be more accepting of homosexuals, but I do think that it isnt a coincidence that my mum is queer and so am I

5. Zontar

The prevailing scientific opinion is that it's not exclusively genes. A lot of people seem to forget this, or don't understand how genetics seem to work. Your environment essentially determines what happens when that gene is "switched on". Essentially, if and only if you carry "gay" traits, you can either end up straight or gay depending on your environmental influences.

#5 Zontar, May 4, 2013
    Last edited: May 4, 2013
  6. sillyolme

Hmm, maybe not... People who are in very conservative areas or strict families who greatly discourage homosexuality. They still manage to "turn on" those gay traits

7. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

I don't have any kids and I'm the only gay person in my family as far as I know. All I can say is that I wish my family was second gen, but since it isn't, I seriously hope that when I do have kids, at least one (or three :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) are a queer of some kind. Then a movie could be made about my family titled "My Big Fat Gay Family" or something to that affect. :lol:

8. finallyme

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have a gay daughter and I'm glad she's growing up in this era instead of mine.

9. Carm

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have a ten year old son who is not out but Ive believed he was not straigr since he was 3. Tht was confirmed the other night when he was lying around in whitey tighties, wearing a candy necklace and bracelet.

Seriously? You can't make this stuff up.