1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kids came over last night

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, May 5, 2013.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My three kids finally came to see my place last night for dinner. Prior to this, only my daughter had seen the place while I was searching for an apartment.

The moment they arrived, they felt immediately comfortable (having the old furniture didn't hurt) and I had set up the TV (currently sitting on top of a box of my old school textbooks - I really have to get rid of those) so they wouldn't be bored (heaven forfend!).

I had earlier bought the ingredients for dinner, per my older (16) son's instructions, as he was going to make fish and chips. He really wanted to try out my gas stove too. My daughter (14) immediately took charge of my pantry, which she felt was insufficiently organized (this, from a girl whose room would rival the mess that was found in Tutankhamen's tomb).

While dinner was being made, my younger son (10) and my daughter went out to the little park across the street. I could easily see them from my window. Upon their return, they proceeded to check out the buzzer (a few times just to see if it worked) to let them in, such fun! :dry:

My younger son looked at me with a mock-serious tone and asked: "So dad, how is your health?", he said it such a adult-sounding way that we all burst out laughing-he has a very quirky and subtle sense of humour, that one.

My two older kids keyed in the code on their smartphones to use the Wi-Fi and proceeded to stare at the phone screens, him while cooking, her while sitting on the balcony talking to her friends. As my bed is the only soft large surface in the house (no sofa or easy chair yet) she proceeded to lie on my bed and text her heart out. My younger son commandeered this computer and started playing his favourite online games.

After I finished making a salad, we proceeded to sit down for dinner (delicious), I bought cookies and fresh mango for desert and a little later, I brought them home.

What struck was the normalcy of all this; how unbelievably resilient they were with such a monumental change in their lives. It was such a calm and quiet evening, and they were just being themselves. They offered to help clean after dinner and to help me get set up if ever I needed it.

I was also struck by the absence of any wish that I return home, they know just how toxic things have become between their mother and I, and I do believe they know that this was for the best.

Despite this, I know also that they are in a fragile state and are dealing with this in their own way; I am constantly reminding my youngest son that it is not his fault...his hugs are a little stronger and last a little longer than usual.

I am truly blessed with the most beautiful, well-mannered and kind children in the world. They are my greatest treasure...

2. BudderMC

I love hearing "success" stories like this. It's also stories like these that make me reconsider not wanting to have kids one day...

Glad to hear things are working out far better than expected. :slight_smile:

3. EddyG

beautiful. thanks for sharing greatwhale.

4. DanD

What a great evening. I'm glad that everything seems to be going in the right direction for everyone.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks BudderMC,

It took a lot of work and endurance to have kids, but on the whole, it was worth every minute; and I am now at the stage of seeing them become more and more autonomous; and becoming more themselves in the process.

...and what they are becoming is truly amazing!

6. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So you got to see a snapshot of the future and who they will become. Great stuff "best behaviour", we need to relish it.

When they start being kids again you will know all is normal.

But you did get that snapshot of the future.

Congrats.

7. Stoical

Glad to hear things went well! :icon_bigg

8. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You have a son who makes fish and chips?

Do you hire him out for catering?

Being from the Atlantic coast anybody who can prepare fish is aces in my book.

Can he do reasonable fried clams?

9. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wow, I hope this continues!

Congradulations

10. PeteNJ

My heart soars on hearing your story!

Absolutely wonderful -- enjoy and take it all in!

(and congratulations, great path you're on)

11. Femmeme

That sounds like a perfect evening! I think having a happy parent that is at peace with themself creates an atmosphere of peace and stability. You are giving your children such an amazing gift! (*hug*)

12. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am so glad, that your day went well & the normalcy of the day, plus how comfortable your children were in your new home, long may it continue (*hug*)

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks again, friends for your kind words, my blessing extends to those of you who've taken an interest in what is going on with me at this "interesting" time in my life.

14. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

You give me hope and inspiration. Thanks.

15. LateRobert

Hey Greatwhale,

So glad to hear your kids first visit went so great, and as you said, it all sounds so normal.

I agree with other who have posted - this gives many of us standing on the shore hope and inspiration. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

16. MixedNutz

That's awesome. Your kids sound wonderful.

17. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm glad the evening went well. May there be many nice visits from your kids!

I remember when my father moved out, I did feel in many ways a sense of relief. The atmosphere had been toxic, and unbearable.

Even so, the situation...had problems for me. Indeed, quirks in my unique family situation made the whole family breakdown a mess for years... (Please don't let this scare you: this was my family situation. And, I suppose, also failings on my part. Problems in my life today probably got rooted back when the nuclear family blew up, but had I been a stronger/more resilient/better person, maybe things would have been different.)

18. catatonie

Sounds like a wonderful little family, man. Also I'm very impressed that your 16 year old can cook. You sound like an excellent parent to have such excellent kids.

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I so understand where you're coming from, it must be an awful feeling to somehow feel responsible for what happens to your parents. But it's not right, you can't beat yourself up for somehow failing to measure up to some impossible ideal in a situation that was not of your choosing.

I am worried about my 10 year-old, he can put on a brave face and not let anyone know how he's feeling, until something triggers an unexpected reaction. Both his mother and I are aware that he will need counseling, and soon. All I can repeat and repeat is that it's not his fault.

---------- Post added 5th May 2013 at 06:22 PM ----------

They had excellent parents in both their mother and myself (and I am certain she would disagree about my contribution...as we head to divorce court on the 14th of this month).

My older son loves to cook, and was even contemplating becoming a chef for a while.

Such is life!

#20 greatwhale, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013