1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Same sex friends

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Rose27, May 9, 2013.

1. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Hey Y'all was thinking about the great debate in movie "When Harry Met Sally" Can men and Women be just friends?" How does that translate to same sex gay friendships? Early on I think this is going to be a bit confusing. Thoughts?

2. June Cleaver

I was just talking about this subject on my friend's wall. I have found I cannot have a male friend. Gays shun me and the straight men treat me like a lady really quickly and the majority of them end up wanting to turn it sexual. It makes it impossable to have a male friend. The only friends I can make and keep it as friends is with cis women. June

3. Candace

Some of my best friends are straight male and pretty good looking. However, I would never consider the idea of wanting to sleep with them (why would I sleep with my brother...ew.) Anyway, one of them is Hispanic, pretty tall, tan, attractive, and is Catholic. I was really afraid to come out to him since he would be the most likely candidate to reject me. He told me that he didn't care, he would support me fully, and still loved me :slight_smile:. Same goes for the others. They all still care about me, since I'm still the same person...nothing has changed...why should they? They know for a damn fact that I'm going to do anything to them.

They are there for me to have someone to talk to (when this crazy world is harsh on people like me :frowning2: ) and in return I give them advice about girls and help them with pleasing their girlfriends :grin: hahaha. I love them with all my heart, and yes they are straight males. YES IT IS VERY POSSIBLE!!

4. PaigeyLeigh

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have a few friends who are either lesbian or bisexual, and we get along really well in a completely non-romantic way. One of my best friends is bi, although we used to date, so im not sure if that counts o.o

5. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I have never had a straight friend that I am aware of.

Straight acquaintances sure, but not a "friend" I could open up to.

This was never conscious choice. I assume my intuition was running in the background and it always steered me to gay guys as friends.

But I was closeted then and putting on the "straight" show is a pain in the ass.

6. June Cleaver

That is because you are a GUY and not a TRANS-WOMAN like me. Every time I try, it turns out the same and it is not me asking or offering.... Or the other thing that happens is his wife or girlfriend looks at me as "the other woman" even if I try to make friends with her. So I refrain from being friendly at all with my friends boyfriends or husbands. They are usuailly at work anyway when we lunch or shop together. For I am with mine in the evenings when he is off work and with him durring the weekends while they are with theirs. So it seems not to be a problem with my girlfriends. And for some reason gay guys don't like trans-women because I have tried to befriend many over the years as friends as well as dates to be shunned. June

#6 June Cleaver, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
  7. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you mean, for me, close friendships with straight men, I've tried; it never works. It's always weird. When I was younger I would get crushes on straight guys I knew which messed up the friendship. Now, I just don't click with straight men. All of my close friends are women. I'm trying to develop a gay circle but haven't got there yet.

8. Ohana

I'm with you, Rose. Seems like it will be confusing. I mean, sh*t, it's all confusing to me! LOL, I was at work today talking about a campaign we're running towards gay families and I was like "LBGQT, LGB, LB- what is it?" I'm not very good at being gay yet :wink:

9. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Thanks Ohana-That made me laugh.