1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today is the Day

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Ohana, May 11, 2013.

1. Ohana

Today is the day I will tell my kids their father and I are divorcing.

Today is the day this all becomes reality. It is the line that I will cross, that I will move my family across, from which we can never go back.

Today is the day my 9 year old will lose a chunk of innocence at my own hand.

I hope today is the day I eventually look back upon with pride, but I fear today is a day I'll regret.

Either way today is the day my life will change forever.

2. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ohana,

Believe me I understand even though we haven't told the kids yet but you are speaking the truth and as painful as it is, kids really need their parents to speak the truth and be authentic.

Hugs to you and family.

Hugs

3. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Hugs. Will be here on EC a lot today. Have to wait until husband off work to talk to son. Worked out what will say. It will be ok.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My thoughts are with you!

5. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wish you the best of luck! I know this must be very hard for you to do, but I believe you will feel much better once you are fully open about your feelings.

I'm still closeted because I am so afraid that my mother will never treat me the same. I wish so badly that I could tell her the truth. Hopefully, I'll grow a stronger backbone in the near future.

I have a friend who's mother came out to her when she was 8 years old. I think she was shocked at first, but she eventually accepted it. Now they are extremely close.

You are such an inspiration!

6. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Extra Hugs.

7. Ohana

Well, it's done.

Daughter was calm at first, lots of "why?'s" then angry, "I hate you", then crying, then calm conversation, then excitement about our new apartment.

The crying was hard to take. You hear your kid half cry or fake cry so often, to hear and listen to a REAL cry, full of pain and confusion is heart wrenching.

At one point she grabbed me by the hand and pulled me toward my husband and said "There! Now love each other!" That was definitely the most difficult moment. Lots of deep breaths and focusing so as not to break down.

I know this is just the beginning and we will no doubt be through this cycle over and over again. But I feel more confident now. Certainly relieved.

Heading out as daughter wants to see new place and look at stuff for her new room.

Thanks for keeping is in your thoughts and prayers. Don't know what is do without EC.

8. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

I'm soo proud of you!!!!

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am beyond proud of you, and of your toughness and determination to be true to yourself and others, our thoughts are with you!

10. Ohana

Thank you so much! I am so utterly relieved. I swear the anticipation of something is always far worse than the actual thing. Not that it was easy (and not that it's over), but I feel so much better. It's out there and now the only thing to do is move forward. I everything is going to be alright.

Rose, how is your afternoon going? Have you talked to son yet? Let us know what you need.

11. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Yes. Told him everything.

12. Ohana

How did it go?

13. wrhla

Wow. That's a huge step, Ohana. You must be so relieved. It sounds like your daughter will recover from the shock and adjust to the new reality, though of course there will be loads of ups and downs in the days to come. That's terrific. Congratulations.

14. EddyG

{double hugs}

I'm telling my kids -- who are both in college -- in about a week that I'm gay and that we're separating. Can't imagine what the reaction will be. Probably similar to your daughter actually.

15. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

I am so blessed.

16. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm so glad that you are feeling relief! I hope things get easier from here on out. I think it's awesome that your daughter is excited about the new place you two are getting. This is the beginning to a better future. :slight_smile:

17. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad you are feeling better. Kids can be pretty resilient and open minded if you just explain things in a way they can understand.