1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving in...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, May 12, 2013.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings folks,

Just spent 40 bucks on cleaning products and the entire afternoon finally tackling that God-awful bathroom in the apartment I recently moved into.

When apartment-hunting I met the people that lived here before me, a middle-aged couple of smokers with a cat. The first time I saw it the smell was overwhelming, and there was a very clean three and a half apartment just upstairs from here that I had my eye on, but, seeing that I had to have the kids over, I took this larger four-and-a-half anyway.

The landlord repainted, re-did the floors, even re-tiled the kitchen, but all they did was a slop-job refinishing and painting the walls in the bathroom. I had to deal with dried paint stuck on grimy tiles, the area around the toilet - a nightmare - the floor was a catch-all for all things gross...

I used a razor scraper for the paint, steel wool for the nasty bits, and a tile polisher for everything else. I wore heavy-duty vinyl gloves and I even bought some knee pads (would have been impossible for my old knees otherwise...)

This got me thinking about the whole process of making a rented place one's own. You have to peel away the residue of past lives, and create your own space. It takes time and a few missteps. I am however bringing to bear my 53 years of experience on how one lives in one's own place, and it's taking shape; and each good decision feels good.

I look forward to be able to share it soon...

2. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Yay! greatwhale Be brave! -Looking at Apt. Tuesday eve. My child said he doesn't care how big a place is as long as it feels "homey" No pressure there-
    Already warned bathroom being redone-"Hopefully completed" by July 1st. Other pics very nice. Small yard.
    New beginnings scary & exciting!

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you'd just installed low wattage light bulbs you could have saved forty bucks plus an afternoon!:lol:

Hope the place will soon be all you want it to be!

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Absolutely scary and absolutely exciting, definitely!

It was a lot of work but the bathroom is all nice and shiny (if I ignore the bits I simply couldn't do anything about - and it looks better with my eyes half-shut!)

Best of luck! :icon_bigg

---------- Post added 12th May 2013 at 02:54 PM ----------

Goes with the theme of keeping the eyes half shut! :grin:

5. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You gotta clean it to own it. :slight_smile:

You know... I hear Pete is super handy. Got the gay and handy! Lucky guy.

Invite Pete over and leave the toolbox and cleaning supplies out. LOL

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    LOL! I`m sure Pete has better things to do!

Pretty handy myself actually. When I was 29, I built a meter-long radio-controlled sailboat from scratch, I even poured the lead to make a teardrop-shaped keel. It looks beautiful on the water as well as on its stand in my living room!

7. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Damn that handy gene! :slight_smile:

Captain Ahab felt about the white whale what I feel about the handy gene! Grrrr

Hand my handy brother a broken rotary phone and he hands back a laptop.

He casts a long shadow in our family. Love him but he got all my handy genes. Grrrr

8. PeteNJ

Great job!

I'm an avid DIYr. Though often Ill immerse myself in a project when I'm depressed or unhappy- since that gives me satisfaction.

Wonder, now that I'm a pretty happy gay man, whether Ill be doing as many projects!

(Ill gladly give advice, as well as lend a hand)