1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to begin...40s, kids, decades of marriage, so, so lonely.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Runnerrunner, May 12, 2013.

1. Runnerrunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'll begin with the anger that I assume is normal to feel. I was put in the straight box and couldn't escape. Family and religion made it impossible to recognize and accept the truth, so I stuffed those inconvenient feelings away and chalked them up to a peculiar interest in guys that I knew and accepted to be wrong. Jump more than two decades later, and add in 4 kids and I've done nothing to "change" but only brought 5 others into my misery. I've fought suicidal thoughts all that time and only 5 months ago realized that I deserve to live and that my kids would rather have a dad like me rather than a dad in the cemetery.

My wife took the news pretty well. As I've read here on EC, her reaction was overall pretty supportive. She's fiercely protective of me because she loves me so much which, of course, makes me feel even more guilty. Since I told the family 5 months ago most have been pretty good about it, though undoubtedly confused.

The divorce is almost final, but there are innumerable details yet to handle. I'm exhausted and alone. I live in "Mayberry," have no friends, straight or gay and have no idea where to begin.

How does one go about making friends and even more so, date? Ugh, my head is a mess. I'm so anxious to meet someone, but I just don't know how. Then there's the terrifying idea of sex. How do I tackle THAT? But damn am I ready!

I know this is a rambling disaster, but that's a pretty good indication of where I am right now. PLEASE, someone, unravel this for me and give me hope that I'll meet someone, and be happy, and live happily ever after with a smoking hot sex life. That's possible right? :bang:

2. Femmeme

:welcome:

3. lexcat

lexcat Guest

Hey man, don't let life get you down.. You'll meet someone that you'll love and will love you back, it will just take some time. I mean, besides the being gay part I really can't relate to your story and I can't imagine how hard it must be but now that you're out and accepting who you are soon you'll be feeling 100 times happier. All my life, for as long as I could remember, I've been gay... even if I didn't know what it meant to be gay or to be attracted to people. As of recently, I've started coming out to people... slowly, I'm only out to four of my friends, but it certainly makes me feel better that I can be myself around them. I feel like, once you get out and about and get adjusted to your new life you'll find that you will be living happier because you're now able to be who you are.

4. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Hi Runnerrunner. Welcome to EC! Hugs & thanks for sharing your story. Your part of the EC family now. :slight_smile:

5. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi runnerrunner,

Glad you joined EC. I've been on a similar journey to you, married 23 years, 2 kids, etc. just starting the process of rebuilding but I have to say my depression and suicidal thoughts were connected to my denial of my true sexuality. Even though I had "success" passing as straight and having that normal life, I never felt right, always like a fraud. I can't say it's all ok now but I do have some moments of hopefulness. I'm only out to my wife, who has mostly been supportive, and a few close friends, my friends have been great, I'm joining a gay means psychotherapy group tomorrow night. Look for any resources near you, maybe you'd be surprised what you find in Mayberry. Maybe a nearby town? There are many of us out there; we can find each other. Support is key.

6. wrhla

Welcome to EC Rr,

You have come to the right place.

First of all, if you live in Mayberry, you should remember that Gomer was gay. Which is a way of saying, you're not alone, even if you think you are.

You seem well on your way to a life as someone who knows himself and can see his own worth. That's no small thing.

7. June Cleaver

Welcom to EC!!! You will find lots of help here! Allthough I am a trans-woman (I have a man's body) which is diffrent, and being a woman and knowing it all along my story is diffrent but simmular. I am 40 about to be 41 and lived with my first man at 18. At almost 24 I had a wonderfull husband and we lived as a straight traditional married couple (me the housewife) until 26 when he died leaving my life ruiend. Other desasters happened which put me in a shell for over 10 years waiting to die so I could join him thinking love only happens once. When man #4 came along not taking no for a answer and I had 4 years of living hell with him. In year 1 I met his good friend and cousin once and fell in love for the second time Nov 2008. It was my secret and shame. Now fast foward to November 2012, I had been single 13 months in a small town out in the country tring to date, but thinking of him as I had for 4 years. I let 2 good men in for a while to end up backing off because they could not break the spell. At this point I had not lived happy for 16 years and desided to kill myself to end the mysery after answering a chain letter Nov 29 "I still love you" which said your true love would think of you at midnight and a suprise would come at 1pm the next day and a shock at 4:40pm. November 30 2012 5AM I ran a hose from the tailpipe to the interior and started the motor. I waited to die and fell asleep, had a strange experence and woke-up sick. At 1pm he walked up my driveway, and at 4:40 he told me the day he first saw me(love at first sight for both of us) he told his GF I had a nice ass and he did not care how gay it sounded, that Ken was so lucky and had done well for himself by getting a catch like me. I was shocked! He liked me too and I was afraid of nothing all those years of mysery! I will skip to now and we now live as a traditional straight married couple (once again I'm the housewife) and we are extremely in love and happy. So my real happily ever after started at 40 in a small town out in the woods with Mike my partner. I skipped tons of details to keep it short and sweet, but you get the idea.

You can start your happily ever after in your 40's in Mayberry after decades of unhappiness! I did, so get out there and give it a try! June

#7 June Cleaver, May 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 12, 2013
  8. Samson

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Welcom to EC!!, I'm somewhat new here too, but I'm living something close to what you have gone through. I thought about suicide last January and similar as you my 4 kids were the answer at the question why living. Then I get out of the closet to my wife as a bi (but still questioning if it is more or not) and she is really supportive. I think you are a step further than me, but if your close familly is supportive, try to build on this.

I understand that thinking about the idea of rebuilding all your life makes you feeling bad and I think it is very normal. I don't the size of Mayberry, but I'm living in a small town of about 100000 p. and I discovered that a network is in place to help people to better understand themselves and to try to rebuild their social contact. If such a thing exists where you live, than I think it could be a really good starting point. And here you will find lots of great heart people which are ready to support you.

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off, welcome to EC! You have come to the right place amongst our rather fast-growing little sub-community of "later in life" folk!

Many strikingly similar stories here, and many people currently in transition from one life to another.

Before you do anything else, please read the post below from one of the staff members here at EC. It is a long read, but well worth it. Most importantly it talks about your need to first build on your solitude, by that I mean if you are setting out to find a "relationship" you are setting yourself up to either rush things or saying yes to less than appropriate people.

Learn first to be comfortable in your own skin, do new things, become someone who can be even more attractive to potential suitors. Relationships are funny things, sometimes you can put too much effort into them. Now is a terrific opportunity for you to discover new things about yourself, start appreciating solitude for a while (not loneliness).

About the only justification for entering into a relationship is the desire to share the good things that you are or are becoming.

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/famil...king-relationship-simpler-than-you-think.html

Happy reading and best of luck!

10. Runnerrunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you Greatwhale, that article was very informative. I'm an impatient sort, and a lot of that article screamed at me to be patient.

Thanks again

11. Jim1454

Yes - it's possible. I'm living proof!

Welcome to EC! I'm glad you found us.

If you're already out to your wife and kids, they've been relatively supportive and you're still all getting along, I'd say you're through the worst of it.

I have an advantage over you I suppose, in that I live in Toronto (or at least near Toronto) Canada, the 4th largest city in North America and one that is very gay friendly. You on the other hand live in 'Mayberry', which presumably is much smaller and not necessarily as gay friendly.

In Toronto (and in other major cities) there are support groups for gay dads. Have you looked into anything like that? Is there a PFLAG chapter somewhere near you? You could attend their meeting as well - to at least meet other people who are supportive, even if they're not all going to be gay. There might be gay centered social events, card nights, bowling leagues... where you could meet other gay men. Meeting people in a friendly and casual way is typcially easier to do than trying to meet them in a bar or a club, and it's usually more sincere and meaningful than meeting someone through some kind of cell phone app.

But there is hope. I met my husband only months after I separated from my wife. He was in a similar situation in the process of separating. That was almost 6 years ago. We got married 2 years ago and still can't believe how happy we are with each other. And yes - the sex is great. :icon_wink

12. Runnerrunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you, June Cleaver. You're a tough mamma jamma! Thanks for sharing and offering hope. I feel a sense of urgency because I've spent so much time hiding and I'm not getting any younger,but I'm getting that I need to chill out and ride this wave for a while.

Thank you again!

---------- Post added 13th May 2013 at 12:39 PM ----------

Thank you Jim1454, wow just a few months!? That's awesome and terrifying, to be honest. After so much time wishing, and hoping and praying, to see that's its possible that it could all turn around quicker than I thought is exciting, but scary too.

No, where I live is nothing like Toronto, and I have a somewhat high-profile job so I don't know what to expect or how to handle co-workers or the public. I live somewhere that I could legally be fired. I'm angry about that too.

Thank you very much for the advice and hope. It's amazing how encouraging y'all can be. You're providing a very beneficial service to legions.

#12 Runnerrunner, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
  13. June Cleaver

14. pnattmbtc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow! Your story could be mine! I understand your loneliness and frustration. I feel all of that too. I am happy to be out....but yet I'm not out. I have had some great opportunities here to talk with some folks that have been where you and I seem to be.They all say it will get better and I have to believe it. You do to. I thought of suicide many times. The shame the embarrassment. You can't let it get you like that. I'm proud of you. The courage to do what we have done no one understands unless they have been through it! Most days I'm numb. A lot of days I am happy and feel great about my life and the opportunities, and then there are days like today, that make me want to to pick up the phone and beg my wife to take me back! It will pass, we will get through it, all of us...together.

15. Runnerrunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, this is so rough. I assumed it would be, but it's just so bewildering. It's hard to see any conclusion to the matter and even harder to see a happy life. It's nearly impossible to see hope of a happy relationship. All of this is made worse that I'm not getting any younger. PLUS I'm not sure how it will go at work if I come out there.

Adding to the frustration are those (a few) that believe I'm being unreasonable, that I should stay married for the sake of the family. Simply, no one understand the misery of living such a guarded, hidden self. Some have asked, "what's the difference, what are you going to go do that you can't do now." It's a good question, but they are only focused on sex. But, yeah, I need that too. 30+ years without it will make a guy a little nuts. Though I have kids, all mine, I really do see myself as a virgin. But, having close, real, unguarded relationship is NOT something I can have with a wife. I don't think I'm being selfish, but in some ways I am, and it's unavoidable. FML!

16. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Runnerrunner-If you had asked me a few months ago if I would be where I'm at this morning emotionally:Happy I would be saying its some far away dream I was not sure I was worthy of. I know there will be ups & downs but now I know what I want is possible.That its ok to dream and hope and be happy.
    Hugs-Rose

17. LateRobert

Hi Runner & Welcome to EC.

As you are starting to see, you are far from alone in your story. I so understand where you are coming from as it is all too familiar for me as well.

I am now 53 and am just in the process of coming out to my wife. I wish I had the courage to come out while I was in my 40's. It probably would have stopped me from some many depressing dark periods, and times when I even considered suicide. Like you, the only thing that kept me from doing that was my kids. I love them too much and worried about what having me commit suicide would do to them and worried it was something they might never get over, and might even blame themselves.

You would have made many sacrifices such as I have to keep other people happy, and to live up to others expectations. That is anything but selfish. I think that one day my kids will understand why I have broken up the family unit, and appreciate that I kept it together for as long as I could. No matter what happens, my kids know how much I love them unconditionally.

If you are anything like me, I know that I do not have a choice to stay anymore. I need to go for my sanity as it has gotten to the point that I believe staying much longer will only cause more stress than I am capable of dealing with.. I would also like to see my wife find someone who can love her the way she deserves.

As for meeting someone, I believe there is someone out there for each one of us, but that is where you will need to get out there, join some social groups... learn a new hobby if you have to, just put yourself out there and enjoy the sense of being free to be yourself.

Take care
    Robert

18. EddyG

welcome! Married 26 years, two college aged kids, came out to wife two months ago, best thing I've ever done. It is scary stepping into the unknown and risking so much, but the ability to finally be who I really am is an amazing feeling for me. I also have evolved in my views since coming out and realize I can't stay with my wife, though I want to stay very nearby. This will be a negotiation once we tell the kids over the next week. We'll see.

Anyway as you are seeing this is a very supportive community that's been a great help to me and others. Jump right in!

19. Runnerrunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow, I could've written that myself. Thank you for sharing. Crazy how hearing how someone else can be in the same situation can make one feel so normal! I'm not sure what to think of us deciding to address this so far down the road of life. Look ahead not behind right? Unless he has a cute behind! Too soon?

---------- Post added 14th May 2013 at 09:43 PM ----------

Oh buddy, telling the kids was very surreal for me. They were awesome by the way. My son even volunteered to go with me to other family members as I told them so he could kick anyone's ass who gave me grief!

Well, good luck. I'll remember you in my prayers. It'll be a tough weekend.

20. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Everyday is hard for me with this transition. I'm not that far along. I'm still married and living at home with my wife and kids. My kids don't know. My wife has gone from supportive to kind of angry and think she is kind of wanting me move on or move out but I get conflicting messages. I'm in a gay men's psychotherapy group which is good but right now I don't have a social group and I'm lonely. It's hard to imagine there is someone out there for me. But, I believe in ittle steps, baby steps. -- just trying to go a little bit forward everyday...