1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Think My Kid is in Denial Re Divorce

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Ohana, May 15, 2013.

1. Ohana

As some of you know, we told the kids last Saturday that we'd be divorcing and I would be moving out. My daughter (age 9) cycled through a range of emotions, but pretty quickly arrived at excitment for my new place and her new room. She told one friend at school, but has expressed concern about being "normal" and, therefore, not really telling anyone else about divorce. (She is telling them about moving. Apparently her friends aren't inquiring why.) She is handling it very well. Maybe too well? Is she in denial? Has anyone else experienced a similar reaction/stage with their kids?

2. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

My son has been extra huggy & asking me questions re-divorce but he has not told anyone at school. He is very excited to have the bigger room in the new place w/unlimited internet. We have dish- sucks.
    I told him its ok to be sad/happy/angry. That its ok to be mad at mommy and same time be excited about new stuff too. Think its a slow processing. Son asked me yesterday re-gay "Why now and not 10 years ago?" He keeps on saying he doesn't care at all that I'm gay-
    just about the divorce & us not living together as a family.

---------- Post added 15th May 2013 at 07:18 PM ----------

No acting out at school. He is getting his work done. Did say he felt sad at recess. Think kids do adapt better/quicker than adults, Maybe it helps mommy & Dad don't argue. He sees us communicating.

#2 Rose27, May 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2013