1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10 smart things? Reading resources you could recommend?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by pnattmbtc, May 17, 2013.

1. pnattmbtc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am reading the "10 smart things gay men can do to improve their lives" What are your thoughts on the book? I'm pushing through it, finding bits and pieces that seem to fit me, but, so far no big revelations or help for my situation. Other readings anyone can offer?:confused:

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kort's other book "Ten Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Find Real Love", is MUCH better than "improve their lives." It's a longer and denser read, but much, much more powerful in getting to the real issues that most gay men face. Why he has two books with such similar titles (and why "Find Real Love" is named as it is, since it has very little to do with that), I have no idea, but it is awfully confusing to a lot of poeple.

I also very strongly recommend "Daring Greatly" by Brené Brown. It is not at all focused on LGBT populations, but the core theme is about authenticity, vulnerability, and shame, and how those things interact in our quest to live fully and wholeheartedly... something that resonates very deeply with LGBT people, particularly those who are coming out later in life.

3. pnattmbtc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Chip,
    Thank you for your suggestions. I did see Kort's other book on Amazon, but thought it to be a read that I'm not ready for. I am not fully out and I suppose I am seeking that magic "Pollyanna" type book to help me make sense and organize my life. I realize that there isn't an easy way out, so to speak, so I guess I'm trying to gather as much information as I can.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Find real love" really is the book you want. It's not about having sex, meeting guys, hooking up... it's about developing a deeper understanding of self, and I think it really will give you everything you're seeking. I've read pretty much every LGBT book I can find, including many about coming out, and Kort's is by far the best of the bunch in my opinion.