1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay men's psychotherapy group

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by arturoenrico, May 21, 2013.

1. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm happy to report that I attended my second group session last night and it helped me so much to be with these 8 guys and a gay therapist! It's a good move for me and I'm going to try not to beat myself up too much for not having done this sooner. I will also be transitioning to a gay therapist for individual therapy because I have been in bad therapy, very damaging. These changes can be huge and really affirming. Thanks to everyone on EC for their ongoing support.

2. EddyG

That is great news arturoenrico. I know that I found the support group I'm in really helpful, and the gay therapist I'm seeing also helped a lot, if only to validate everything I'm going through and being able to say things I can't tell anyone else.

3. ormanout

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have a gay therapist and a lesbian minister. I think I'm in good hands!

4. PeteNJ

Having a gay therapist, going to a men's coming out group, a bi/gay Dad's group -- has made all the difference in the world.

To sit in a room with other guys, on the same journey, being both challenged and affirmed -- yes, life changing.

Keep the momentum going!

5. aliveandwell

aliveandwell Guest

New here. I have a gay therapist; The bi/gay Dad's group you mentioned, Pete, sounds interesting. Very few know I'm bi; not really something that's generally known having been a family man for many years, now with two adult sons. To speak with other men of a similar cut of cloth, desires, history -- I can only imagine the freedom in that. Didn't even know such groups existed. Of course, didn't know EC existed either until the other day. Good to be here - although feeling shy, nervous -- and I imagine pretty normal there!

6. Fellow

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wish I had such groups around here. I'm not in your position, but the step of attending those meetings is already quite challenging, so I imagine you should stay more and more at ease and take it in your own pace.