1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

monster

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by EddyG, May 23, 2013.

1. EddyG

so yes I'm finding out that because I lied for all these years, because I stayed married even after I felt it was over and didn't tell her that, since we had two small children, because I never told my wife I was attracted to guys and had had sex with guys, I am a kind of moral monster.

I am being expected to do more than just apologize. I am not sure what else I am expected to do, I'm supposed to figure that out on my own, and since I don't know I clearly need some very deep therapy. Plus I haven't kept it in my pants since coming out and that shows I am heartless and without remorse. Or something.

So anyway yeah I feel bad and I know I messed up someone's life, and maybe I am a moral monster because I can't really think of what else I should be doing other than expressing sorrow. I can't fake feelings I don't have, I've moved into the guestroom, have gone on dates but not talked about them, have promised to make things right financially, but I guess I'm missing something...

2. allnewtome

:frowning2: I have to believe that it would be easier on all if those that have been hurt by our becoming authentic truly knew the depths of our struggle within ourselves for so long.

Unfortunately that will never be the case. I`m sure it hurts and it sucks-she`s just lashing out, dealing with her grieving and it can`t be easy to listen too. I would imagine most of what`s been said out of anger or hurt are things you`ve thought or felt and dealt within yourself.

You are not an evil person, not a moral monster and not wrong for wanting to live an authentic life. Hopefully in time she will see that and will find a complete life for herself.

Best of luck with your journey.

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    yes, she is going through a process too
    make allowances (as I am sure you are already)

just remember you have been on a road that you couldn't get off any sooner - or you would have... you are no monster .... cut yourself some slack too!

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am astounded at how exactly alike our experiences are. Same thing here, although I didn't come out to her, she is 75% certain that I am gay, and I don't argue with her.

Do they all sing from the same songbook? I also moved into the living room, and slept there for weeks, I also was expected to be wearing sackcloth and ashes and to be contrite, and pay and pay and pay...

I refuse to accept that I am some moral monster, and so should you. One elephant in the room that is rarely, if ever, discussed is the spouse's complicity in the lie. She knows, she knew or had suspicions, that something was not quite right. I remember my wife expressing "concern", before we even got married, over our infrequent sex...didn't stop her from going on with the marriage...

There was genuine love when we got married, just incomplete and impossible to make it deeper, other issues combined with the lack of sex to culminate in where I am today. I accept that too: including counting my dimes and nickels, literally, as I pay off the lawyer...

5. EddyG

Thanks greatwhale, I needed to hear that. I know I'm not a moral monster but I'm wondering, what else can I do. She seems to think there are some very significant things I should be doing but since I don't really know what they possibly could be, I am damaged and repressed and need to see a real therapist who will get that out of me. Sorry but as pointed out above, I have been thinking about this for years and I have arrived at a sense of what I've done to her and my own feelings about it that are not new, while for her it's all very new.

And while she acknowledges that I also suffered and went through bad stuff, nevertheless the fact that I destroyed her life and she finds herself now at 55 alone is my doing and I need to somehow make amends.

As for "knowing" I have to say that I pretty successfully came up with good reasons for why I didn't want sex for years, was cranky, etc. I don't want to blame her for not knowing -- though I do ask myself that -- because she did put up with a lot and was very loyal and loving despite what she thought was just my moodiness and depression.

At this point I do feel like I'd be willing to sign over everything -- house, my retirement accounts, everything -- just to be get this whole thing over with. But she accused me of seeing this as nothing more than a business transaction... can't win here. So what else can I do?

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With my wife it was a case of not mourning enough, not suffering enough or being upset enough...I really do think that is what this is about.

7. EddyG

Yeah actually that does sound right...

---------- Post added 23rd May 2013 at 08:28 PM ----------

thanks allnewtome.

---------- Post added 23rd May 2013 at 08:31 PM ----------

yeah I am, and I take deep breaths and even though I feel like I want to move out tomorrow (instead of waiting till end of the summer), I try to keep it in perspective. Thanks bingostring, the slack is being cut!

8. Samson

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with the others, you are certainly not a monster, I hope you will get better soon. Not all days can be dark, there is always light somewhere even if we need to search for it a bit. (*hug*)

9. PeteNJ

(me too)

So my former girlfriend and her siblings are now attacking me as some horrible person, who lied about who I was, etc etc etc.

Right -- I finally know and accept who I am and I am happy, really happy.

You think I'd have done this years ago if I could have!

My ex wife, OTOH, we're better friends than ever.... go figure.

10. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    EddyG,

You are not a moral monster. She knew even if she wasn't aware she knew. For some reason, she may not be aware of, the arrangement worked for her. But now, you've upset the applecart. Shes hurt and angry, rejected. You probably should have less contact. I haven't been having sex with men, although I wish I was, but I have still deceived my wife for years. However, she did strongly suspect and confronted me a number of times about meeting gay, and I hedged. I said, I'm Bi etc. she isn't berating me but she is always on me to talk, talk. Fortunately, she goes to bed early and I don't.

11. EddyG

Yeah that's what I'm getting, but also still from my wife, though she doesn't harp on it at all and wants to maintain a good relationship. And I am also really very happy and like you wish I'd done it years ago.

---------- Post added 24th May 2013 at 07:26 AM ----------

well the moral monster thing is mostly about me not telling her that I was gay and not telling her that I wasn't really in love with her the past 15 years, maybe moreso than that I'd had sex with a couple of friends over the course of our marriage. We did talk nonstop for the first 6 weeks pretty much every night, a lot of it was just me talking about my past, feelings, etc. and she was supportive. We've also read a ton of stuff. But more recently she's realizing that I am indeed going to leave and it really is over, that I'm seeing guys (I haven't said anything directly) and that I really haven't been happy in our relationship for at least the past 15 years but that I didn't tell her that (But I have to say it should have been very obvious from my behavior)... So she doesn't berate me very often but when she does what I know is that this is what she is really feeling. And there's nothing I can do.

12. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    By the way, I too have felt like a moral monster even though I am not sexually active. I know that even at the time of my marriage, 23 years ago, I was deceiving my wife. I was also deceiving myself specifically by actually believing it was viable to pretend to be straight, live that life, have kids and get by in that way forever. However, if someone had sat me down at the time and forced me to speak and asked me if I was in love with my wife, was I attracted to her, I would have said no. I knew I wasn't. I knew I was attracted to men. The homosexual thoughts and fantasies were never gone, I just never acted on them. The thing is, I was able, how I don't know, to have sex fairly reguarly with my wife. Still a mystery to me. And, it was ok. The reason I've let go of feeling like a moral monster is this idea that things happen for a reason or as the facilitator from my coming out group used to say, "it made sense then." I mean I have my kids, who are awesome. My wife and I were best friends and she was dependent on me, in love with me. We helped each other in lots of ways. We were great partners and parents in every way but the sexual; so I guess, yeah, it made sense. And if I say I was a monster and wrong to marry her am I not also saying that my kids should never have been born? I must should have done the coming out thing sooner but I guess I wasn't ready. I needed to suffer more.

13. EddyG

Yes it really did! But that doesn't seem to be enough, and if I say that, I'm accused of just using my oppression as an excuse to make me not feel guilty about what I did to her. But for me that is the story, it made sense then, at the time I felt it was the right thing to do -- very similar to you, little kids, we worked well together as parents, etc.

Of course in retrospect it doesn't make sense. The thing I feared the most -- people finding out I'm gay -- has turned out to be not at all a big deal for people I've told, including my parents which was pretty surprising. The problem was I had no one to talk to about any of this at all so it was all an internal conversation which skewed me off into a path of unreality in a way. Well, here I am and I'm so glad I finally did come out and despite the wreckage I can't imagine doing anything else at this point.

14. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We grow so much over time mentally and emotionally. It's too hard to think about the how we should have acted differently because at that time we knew less about ourselves, the implications of our actions. With less life experience and maturity, maybe we did the best we could have at that time. Maybe it sounds like a cop out but I think the heavy burden of guilt needs to be let go of (for me and probably for you too).

15. EddyG

(*hug*)

16. EddyG

and thanks everyone for the support. i'm feeling kind of lonely at home these days and this has been great.

17. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    EddyG

It is straight society that is the moral monster.

If you are different you need to be driven down and out of existence.

Straights build the closets for gays.

18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All of you who are feeling like monsters... PLEASE get hold of a copy of Joe Kort's wonderful book "Ten Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Find Real Love (not the other one with the similar title...)

In it, he has a couple chapters that deal directly with heterosexually married gay men and the special issues they face coming out to their spouses. I can't do justice to how he describes it, but in his 25+ years of experience in counseling LGBT people, he said he has *never* seen a situation where, once the wife calmed down and got over her initial anger, she did not, with time (and perhaps with therapy) realize that she actually knew, or strongly suspected, that something was amiss, often before the couple was married.

People who don't want to see something (a child or spouse that's gay is a great example) can have remarkable blinders on, and ignore signs... and believe me, every one of you had signs that your wives could have noticed... and when they think about it, they probably did notice and think about it.

So the point is... it's not all your fault. Your wives are complicit in keeping the elephant in the room. They could also have spoken up earlier, not just you.

It doesn't alleviate *all* of the blame, but it's definitely more authentic to realize that both of you conspired to keep this secret hidden.

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly right.

20. EddyG

very true. But I'm realizing, and I've said to my daughter and wife and sister and mother, that there is absolutely no way they can ever understand where I'm coming from; and I believe that.

So at this point I am resigned to condemnations but I also don't care. I am not going to self-flagellate. I am moving on. Which is why it's so important to have support from guys in this same situation, and why this place and all of you are such a f'ing awesome support resource!!