1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Married, but miserable...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by drs, May 26, 2013.

1. drs

drs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Good morning, EC... I've been reading through many of the posts here, and am somewhat relived to find that I'm not the only person in the world who is in this situation. Honestly, some days it felt that way! I'll say that my story isn't really unique; but I think that this is a good place to start...

About me: I'm 38, been married for 13 years, and have a step-son (hers from a previous marriage) and a daughter. Military; ready to retire soon (but not soon enough, lol)

I knew that I was at least bi when I first met my wife... I had been with a couple of guys before... But at the time, being military in the age of DADT, it was extremely difficult for me to explore that side of my sexuality. I never really had "feelings" for another guy before. So when I met my wife, I thought that my feelings for her and the life I built around her could suppress the other half of who I was. And it did, for a while. Sort of, anyway. I think that I just wasn't ready to admit to myself that I was gay. (It's still hard to even type those words...)

Not long after we were married, I started visiting gay chat rooms again. She caught me - twice, two separate incidents - the first about 3 years after we were married; the second about 3 years after that. Both times I was able to convince her that there was nothing going on, because there really was nothing going on... I was talking with guys, but that was it.

I'm not sure what set me off, but a couple of years ago I started seeing other guys. Purely sexual, no real emotional connection. NSA, to use today's term. I still wasn't able to admit to myself that I was gay. Stupid, I know. I had long since lost interest in having sex with my wife (I honestly can't remember the last time that we did)... looking back it's painfully obvious that I've always been gay... But I had never felt (or maybe allowed myself to feel) an emotional connection with another guy. Still, I've thought about coming clean with my wife for a while now. The love is gone, and I know that in the end, it will be better for both of us, eventually.
    It's become a little more pressing, because I have found a guy that I have an emotional connection with. I've finally admitted to myself that I have a boyfriend. I don't know that I can say that I love him; but now that I know it's possible for me to have feelings for another guy, I want to explore the possibility that there's something there. I enjoy spending time with him... So now I'm torn between him and my family.

I really don't know what to do next. All I know is that I am miserable. I can't continue this way. I can't go back, and staying in the middle is killing me. The only way out is to move forward; I just don't know how to start moving that direction.

I know this was long winded, my apologies. But thanks for reading... Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello DRS,

I'm so glad that you've found this community, joined, and have started telling your story. And I know exactly what you mean about the relief that comes with finding out someone else has been where you are.

Yours is a tough situation. What I hear you saying, though, is that you're ready to move forward with your life. No doubt this won't be easy, but you're ready. I don't know if this helps, but for me, I started to feel that my life was intolerable. I simply couldn't go on lying to everyone, including myself. I've just started coming out about a week ago, so all of this is fresh for me, too.

So you've made a decision to move forward. Congratulations--that's a huge step. And as difficult as it may be, you're absolutely correct: It will be better for both you and your wife. If it's been so long since you've had sex that you can't even remember when the last time was, I'm sure she knows something isn't quite right.

I know others will have great advice, and I don't have a lot of wisdom to share, being so early in this process myself, but where are my thoughts.

Do you have someone you can talk to who will be objective and help you sort through your feelings? Is it possible for you to go to a therapist? I know that even in the last week, mine has been a huge help to me as I start this process. He or she will be able to help you think through how best to talk to your wife.

Another thought that has come to my mind only recently (as I think telling my husband is going to result in a yucky scene) is that if you do anticipate a difficult or angry discussion when telling your wife, you may be able to bring her to a therapy session and tell her with your therapist there to act as a moderater. I don't know if that will work for you, but I know I've already used our marriage counselor as a moderator when I have something difficult and potentially inflammatory to tell my husband.

I know how hard it is to finally admit to yourself you're gay. I was writing about it in my journal in preparation for my therapist visit, and it took me about 5 pages of procrastination before I could write out the sentence: I am gay. You may need tome to come to terms with these feelings and portion of your identity before contemplating how best to tell your wife When you tell her, I think it would be best if you were able to be confident in yourself. She may very well ask, "Are you sure?" and you want to be able to answer clearly and honestly and not waver. To waver is to risk the potential of falling back into the relationship.

Does the guy you're seeing have any advice to give as far as coming out? Maybe his story will help you.

Above all, please know that you owe it to yourself to be happy. What you're doing is difficult, but not wrong. You also owe it to your wife to give her a chance to find a relationship with a man who is able to love her in all the ways a wife should be loved. You owe it to yourself to be free to pursue other relationships.

And we're here for you. You are not alone in this struggle.

--Zoe

3. happymom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I know it's not easy. It sounds like you're pretty sure that your feelings for this guy make you happy, and your relationship w your wife is not making either of you happy. I think that once we do know the truth we have a moral obligation to act on it thoughtfully but act on it. Your wife probably knows on some level. The cheating is possibly more damaging than the gayness. I understand though. I fell in love while separating but not yet divorced. He felt betrayed and wanted me to stay away from my lover even though I was honest about wanting divorce and even though I had already moved out. If you love this guy then stand by who you are if you can. It diminishes what you have with her and with him to lie to her and only give him part of yourself (the part you hide). Don't get me wrong, I think coming out is up to you entirely but if you're hurting her in the process consider what's healthiest for all involved. It's NOT easy. It wasn't easy for me to leave and I didn't have any sexual orientation issues to announce. So, I don't think you're weak or immoral or anything bad. I think you want happiness like all of us and it sounds like you're trapped. Even if you don't come out right now, could you address your marriage and tell her you want to leave and that you're not happy?

I'm glad you are letting yourself feel what you feel and I hope you find all the love you deserve!

4. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Well said, Happy Mom. I especially like your point about our moral obligation. I feel that weighing heavy on my right now, but didn't have the words for it.

And yes, to not be yourself is to diminish all of your relationship.

What helps me sometimes is envisioning my authentic life once the dust settles. It may take a little while to get there, and the road is bound to be bumpy, but boy am I looking forward to arriving there. And these vision reaffirm for me that the life I have right now is not authentic and gives me courage to keep moving forward.

--Zoe

5. happymom

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    YES! That's huge Zoe. Envisioning the life you want will lead to the right answers. I believe that for all of us. I was willing to risk everything because I had a deep faith that the life I wanted was the life I was meant to have. And I think I'm living it now after a really tough year or two. It was hard as hell but worth it. I have 2 happy kiddos, an ex husband who's still my friend, and a current husband/lover/soul mate and a very honest healthy relationship. The truth of all of that possibility kept me going through all the painful stuff an family members telling me I was ruining lives, and that I could "beat this thing" and that I needed to just "get my ass back home and stay married." They're kind of eating their words now.

But trusting myself was sometimes the hardest part. You know you better than anyone. In the end we are the only ones that have to live with ourselves so better please ourselves and be proud of our choices. Responsibly, you know.

6. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome drs. I know you are in a difficult place at the moment, but one step at a time you can move forward. I hope that very soon you will be surprised at how far you have come. I am glad you have taken the step of joining this community. I hope you find this a helpful and safe place. Share what you feel able to with us, and hopefully you can benefit from others sharing with you. Best wishes.

7. HoplesslyLost

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Drs:

Reading your story reminds me a lot of my story. I am at the same point as you I think. Not sure where to turn or what steps to take next. Would love the chance to chat with you and see if we can help each other along. Good Luck my friend and hopefully we will all find true happiness.

Take Care
    Craig

8. drs

drs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you Zoe, HappyMom, and others for your encouragement... Many things to hit on here, but I wanted to comment on one of the things that Zoe said. I guess I'm not sure what my "authentic life" is even possibly going to look like, once the dust settles, lol. I've admitted to myself that I'm gay; I want to come out to my wife, but aside from that? I guess that's one of the things that's holding me back - I know that were I am isn't where I want to be; but I don't know where it is that I want to be.

And for HopelesslyLost - You're already making a difference; maybe not in your own life, but in others'. When I did a Google search on "How to tell you're gay" and this site came up, your post is what made me keep reading, join, and start down this path...

9. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    DRS,

Don't worry too much. Once you get start to get comfortable with who you are, and that may take a little time, you'll be better able to envision what it is you want. Right now, there's a lot going on with you--a lot of turmoil. It's difficult to envision a positive future when you're still just admitting to yourself who you are.

If you're interested in exploring it, I recommend writing about it. I'm a believer in the connection between writing and thinking. Just disregard the rules--don't worry about spelling, punctuation, etc. And be totally honest with yourself. Don't think about your current situation--if your life were perfect, what would it look like? Doesn't matter if it's realistic or not, and you're certainly not committing yourself to anything. But sometimes just letting yourself write things out help uncover things you're not yet aware of.

Start small or with things that aren't related to your sexuality--where would you live? What would you do? Who would be in your life--friends, family, etc. Just let one thing lead to another.

And if you don't get anything the first time, don't worry. It's a start.

For me, the biggest thing I picture in my authentic life is simply being able to be honest with myself and others--not having to squash down what I know to be true. I can enter relationships--all relationships--with honest and integrity. That's what I can't wait to do.

And if you're not into writing, don't worry. As things clear up for you, you'll start to get an idea of what you want.

--Zoe

#9 Zoe, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013
  10. drs

drs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That was supposed to be "How to tell your wife that you're gay"

Anyway, thanks Zoe. I do enjoy writing; maybe I'll have to try that...

11. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey drs,

I think you know what you want and what you need to do. I think all of us fear losing their families and are torn. I've told my wife, who has told me the marriage is over but well be friends. I haven't told the kids yet, everyone I've spoken to about telling their kids has told me that it was for the best. You can't live false life; I've tired and have only made myself more and more miserable. Be who you are.

12. drs

drs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks. I know I've tried as well, and am finding myself more and more miserable every day. Completely taken out of context, but one of my favorite movie quotes is from Shawshank Redemption - "Get busy living, or get busy dying." (Please don't take that the wrong way - I am in no way suicidal or have any thoughts of hurting myself or others...)

Thinking about it, maybe that quote isn't so out of context... I'm in prisoned by my past and a society which caused me to try to be something that I'm not. I can continue to rot, alone and miserable; or I can plot my escape. Yes, I might have to crawl through a "sewer pipe" of emotions to get to the other side of the prison walls. But in the end, I'm sure that it will be worth it.

How many lost opportunities... for both of us... to be truly happy? To really be in love? I read the thread "monster" and I definitely feel much the same way.

I'm going to come out to my wife. Soon. Lol, I've been saying that to myself for over a year now. How? When? It's not like I want to be sitting eating dinner and just say oh, by the way, I'm gay.

I guess along with the support of EC in making the decision to press forward, I'm kind of interested in ways that other people came out to their spouse...

13. drs

drs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was just going through the "coming out stories" under the main coming out advice forum... Unfortunately, they're all about coming out to parents, friends, etc. Maybe there needs to be a "coming out stories" sub-forum for those of us "later in life"?

14. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    #14 Cool Bananas, May 27, 2013
    Last edited: May 27, 2013
  15. EddyG

Yes exactly, this is a major reason to come out sooner than later, and for me the sad part isn't about me but about my wife.

I actually kind of did do it over dinner. It was spontaneous, I'd been thinking of telling her for a while, and I just decided on the spot to get it over with. After dinner I asked her if she'd be surprised if I told her I'm gay. She was. Very. But I'm glad I told her, I'm glad I didn't prepare too much but just did it and I only wish I'd done it much sooner.

16. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good Morning, Drs--

As you know, I don't have any advice about coming out to your spouse (yet), but I wanted to tell you how much I love what you wrote here and the analogy you drew between Shawshank and your life. I am an English geek, and I love this sort of thing. I think you'd said it beautifully.

--Zoe

17. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not through the sewer pipe yet; I feel I'm a bit stuck in the middle but there has to be an end. My wife knew about my sexuality because of her perceptiveness and my withdrawal from sexual activity with her. Of course, I'm leaving out the most crucial detail: when we first met, in our twenties, I identified myself as gay, we became best friends and the rest is history; I guess she thought she had converted me. Well, she's been asking me for years if I thought I was really gay and stupid me, I've been saying "no, I'm bisexual". Just a dirty, little lie. I guess not so little.

18. drs

drs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So... I know that I'll be able to just say to my wife that I'm gay. I've written a letter; I'd like to share it here and get a little feedback if I could. Many of the things that I say in the letter I've shared here already anyway...

I’m writing you this letter for about the 100th time; trying to put words to my feelings that I am not strong enough to share with you in person. I wish that I didn’t have to say this in a letter, but I know that I will never have the courage to start this conversation face to face. But, know that everything that I am about to say comes directly from my heart.

I AM GAY.

You have no idea how hard it is for me to type those three words, let alone say them out loud. It’s taken me years to be able to admit it to myself. Coming out to you or anyone else? The hardest thing that I’ve ever done. (No, I’m not out yet to anyone else; and while I know that you will need someone to talk to, please choose carefully. I don’t know if I can ever be 100% “out of the closet.”)

I am not ashamed of the fact that I am gay. (Was easier to type the second time, lol). For years I prayed for my homosexual feelings to go away, but they only became stronger. I guess I’ve always known that I was gay; even before we met. I hoped that the feelings that I had for you and the relationship that we built would be able to suppress my feelings towards guys. And, it did, for a while. I don’t know what caused my feelings for men to overtake my feelings for you and our relationship, but they did.

I HAVE BEEN UNFAITHFUL.

I’m not ashamed that I’m gay. I am ashamed of the fact that my being gay has caused and will continue to cause you emotional pain. I’m ashamed of the fact that it’s taken 13 years for me to be able to admit to myself or you that I am gay. I’m ashamed of the fact that you’ve given me several opportunities to “come clean” and I’ve continued to deny your accusations. I’m ashamed that I have cheated on you; that I’ve had relationships on the side with other men. I’m ashamed for the missed opportunities for both of us to be happy. I’m ashamed for many things that I’ve done, promises that I’ve broken, lies that I’ve told… But I am no longer ashamed that I am gay.

I’m not going to go into any details of my experiences with men. Just know that this is not a passing idea or a “phase” that I’m going through, or any sort of mid-life crisis. I am gay; and unfortunately, my feelings for you can’t erase that.

I don’t know where to go from here. I feel like I am standing in the middle of a dark forest; I’ve come too far to turn back (not that I could even if I wanted to.) I could continue down the path that I’m on; but I cannot continue to live a lie. So I’m choosing to carve a new path. One of honesty and truth. One that will hopefully, eventually, lead to happiness for us both.

I’m sure that you are hurt. I can’t begin to imagine the pain that I have caused you. I’m sure that you’re angry. I’m sure that you are feeling a wide range of emotions right now, most of them negative. But I hope that in your pain that you can feel some relief. I suspect that you’ve known for some time, even though I wasn’t able to admit it. I hope that you feel some optimism for better and brighter days to come when we emerge from living under this cloud. I hope that you can feel some forgiveness.

I can’t say that I’m looking forward to the conversation that needs to happen now that I have come out to you. There’s hundreds of scenarios going through my head right now; most of them are not pleasant. But I’m ready.

Now to figure out how when and how to give it to her...

19. wrhla

I think this is a good letter. In terms of how you give it to her, I don't have any great advice. I suppose I would hand it to and wait while she read it. But I dunno.

To be perfectly honest, however, I'd recommend you tell her face to face. It will be extremely uncomfortable for a minute, but I think that speaking the words, "I'm gay," out loud will be therapeutic for you and her. Once you get those words out, everything becomes a little easier.

In telling my wife, I hadn't planned anything. When I woke up that morning, it never crossed my mind that I was going to come out that day. But a conversation we were having led me there. Likewise, when I told my brother on the phone a couple of weeks ago. Actually, in that case, I had thought a lot about what I would say, but in the end I just found a point in the conversation where it seemed to make sense.

I don't know whether that can work for you. I do know that once the words "I'm gay" come out of your mouth, everything that seemed impossible suddenly seems surprisingly manageable.

20. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    None of us has the right answers, but hopefully we can add some pointers, as we are reading your letter from a neutral stand point without the emotion.

I am not sure I would add the I HAVE BEEN UNFAITHFUL in big bold letters, people read a few lines and that is it.

I would mention about the good years you have had together.

But start with the conversation; then give her the letter; show some courage to speak up then show the letter later.

I will get off my soap box now. :thumbsup: