1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As a teenager, would you have ever admitted to masturbating?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by BMC77, May 26, 2013.

1. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not perhaps the right section, but this is where the older people like me are...

For some reason, I've been wondering about the question posed in the title recently. From strange minds come strange questions, I guess.

However, as I think of it, I have to think I'd have died before admitting that I ever masturbated one time, let alone admit to my actual frequency. Part of it was society, which I think had a more repressed view back then. My school definitely had a negative view--but the school might have been highly toxic in a number of ways, even given the era. And perhaps guys were more open/honest with close friends. I can't say for sure, since I was pretty much an outsider, and all my friends were mostly very casual. In any case, as I say, I'd have died before admitting to masturbation.

Was this universal with everyone else?

One reason I guess I wonder is that as I get older, I'm trying to separate my dysfunctional experiences into ones caused by outside forces (society), and my own inner dysfunction.

2. UndercoverGypsy

Don't know about others, but I've talked pretty openly about it with friends and it's sort of a mutual understanding that everyone does it.

3. Awkward Balloon

Well I've been caught by my dad once, and I've done it with friends in the room while they're knowing so it's not a big thing at all for my peer group. We even discuss it with girls, and my friends would often tell a certain girl if she's good enough to be part of their thoughts :slight_smile: Society is a lot more accepting in this day and age.

4. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Me & my friends often talked about Masturbation, I think there was only one guy who denied doing it & he was called a liar :slight_smile:

5. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't even remember if the term was ever used in "health class" back then.
    I do remember ONE awkward discussion with another teen at the time about what ejaculate looks like, and he couldn't understand how I would know firsthand... how did we ever manage without the internet...

6. Spurned

Spurned Guest

I discuss it with my closest friend of 5 years and I'm incredibly open about masturbation and related topics, - usually to help people, such as when I'm giving advice - but I wouldn't tell anyone if they didn't ask about it.

7. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You are asking about the 70's though...

Any friend I would have been taking about masturbation with I was having sex with.

8. Dans le placard

Believe me, though I went to a Catholic school, some of the school yard conversations my peers and I had as 14 year-olds could have definitely suggested otherwise. :lol:

9. Rexmond

I remember a couple years back, our Biology teacher asked us to put our hands up if we'd have ever masturbated before (we were learning about sex organs), and only one person didn't put their hand up. He was (and still is) an arrogant person and likes to think he's too perfect for such a thing. Yet he admits to trying it before, so was obviously lying. Today's generation we can talk about masturbation just as easy as any other highly over rated topic like football. :rolle:

10. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We know that more than seventy to eighty percent of women masturbate, and ninety percent of men masturbate, and the rest lie. :slight_smile:

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nowadays, in say high school, it would seem an implied fact that everyone does it (I speak particularly so toward the male gender on this one), and this universal acknowledgement just plays into all the stupid sexual jokes and whatnot.

Parents would be more of a case-by-case scenario. For mine it was just an unspoken truth. They were about as liberal in parenting methods as you can get though.

12. bdman

Nobody ever talked about it in the 80's early 90's in my part of the world. I think I thought I was some kind of addict when I was a teen, but was an adult before I found out that my frequency was the norm for teenagers.

13. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I forget how I actually heard this...but I know I knew from a pretty early age that virtually everyone masturbates. Yeah, it's techically a lower percentage of women, but I was just as skeptical about that number then as I am now...it's just easier to get away with it, lol.

Now I would have been mortified if I'd ever actually been caught, um, redhanded, so to speak...but if someone had asked me if I ever did it, I'm pretty sure I would have rolled my eyes at them and said something like *yeeeah* in a tone of voice where the "duh" was clearly implied.

14. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was a kid back in ancient times, the 70s, I probably talked about it with some friends, although I don't exactly remember, I certainly didnt think it was wrong. I don't think I knew anyone who thought it was wrong.

15. Minx

There were a lot of things in my household that you just didn't discuss or dare to say.

That ingrained onto me early on, and I have never discussed this topic offline, in a relaxed setting with friends, boyfriends, ex's. It's just an immediate non-topic.

Strangely enough my brothers never had a problem ranting about this as soon as parentals were nowhere to be found. :lol:

16. Techno Kid

I seem to remember talking about it a few times during High School. I think there was only one period in my life during grade 9 when I was actually ashamed about my masturbation. lol

17. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, for quite a bit in middle school, I thought I had invented this whole new technique of dealing with hormones! Once I grew up I was going to patent it, and I'd be a hero to all men everywhere! Finally a way of dealing with sex without having to involve *gasp* girls!

But then, when I was about 14, sex ed came up and I discovered I wasn't as innovative as I first thought. It was pretty much explicitely said in the instructional video that most guys do it, and as all of my classmates were staring at the ceiling intently, I suspected the video was not lying :wink:

Not that it was ever discussed openly, mind you. Any sex talk among students was mostly innuendo and half-knowing grins. I think I was 22 before ever even mentioning the m-word in a conversation.

18. momof3

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I must have grown up in a very sheltered community! I didn't have many close friends, so maybe that's why. I didn't even know that it was ok to masturbate (or even how) until I was in my 20's and a therapist suggested I try because I had never had an orgasm. I had no idea what a clitoris was--those sex ed classes were pointless. Plus, my middle school let me take 9th grade Spanish instead of health class.

So, I guess I would never have admitted because I honestly was not doing it.

19. wrhla

I don't remember it coming up much in conversation, but I think that by the time I was in high school everybody I knew would have answered honestly about masturbation. Although I would probably never have admitted how MUCH I masturbated, and I would never have admitted that much of the time I was fantasizing about other guys.

20. Lakota

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was never brought up, ever. Tho we all know everyone was going at it.

I used to walk on a job site and ask the guys 1st thing in the morning who had wanked before work, the expressions on their faces was priceless evertime I asked. But everytime I asked one guy would raise his hand out of 25. I would tell him he was working with me today, since he didn't lie. Always made them feel uncomfortable and would always get a laugh.

But in my teen years, no way.