1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mama Cass Elliott Song....

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by pnattmbtc, May 27, 2013.

1. pnattmbtc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ok...This song was my anthem as a young child, I sang it all the time. Even remember putting on a show at the holiday for the family with cousins! I was 6 or 7 when the movie was out but I knew then that she was singing about me....WHAT HAPPENED?

Treat yourself...WATCH THIS VIDEO

Mama Cass Elliot - Different - YouTube

Then tell me what you think!
    (!)

---------- Post added 27th May 2013 at 08:00 PM ----------

Oh... It is from the "PUFFNSTUFF" Movie

2. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow...how awesome! I never even knew there *was* a Puff 'n Stuff movie...now how did I ever miss that??

Hearing that may well have changed my childhood for the better...just as if this song had existed when I was an adolescent, it would have changed those years for me as well: Jimmy Eat World - The Middle - Lyrics - YouTube

In fact, hearing that song, I'm realizing how relevant it is to so many people here *right now*...I think I may post it as a separate thread.

Anyway, pnatt, thanks so much for posting that song. Mama Cass was wonderful and brilliant, and I always love hearing a "new" song by her. Hmmm...was the rest of the movie half as cool?

3. pnattmbtc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    biAnnika;
    Thanks for the jimmy eat world song. I loved it when it came out, but I think I just "HEARD" it for the first time, just now!

If others post here, I think we will have a great "inspirational" play list.

The Puffnstuff movie is fantastic if you loved the show. Cheesie and Cheesy and did I say CheeseE....Has a great soundtrack tho

4. Biotech49

I love it and I don't believe I have ever heard that song before (I lived a very sheltered life obviously! Different is definitely lonely but now I feel like I am no longer on the outside looking in.

(!):eusa_clap

5. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for sharing. It was fun to watch. It's campy.

6. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So to answer your question (of what I think of it)...

YES, I knew I was different from a very young age. It took me years and a lot of loneliness and unhappiness to figure out exactly what was different about me, but gods, yeah, queer is just queer, I fear. You can't just be gay or bisexual or whatever...our party line is that we're just like everyone else, except for who we're attracted to...but in fact many of us are extremely quirky generally. Must have something to do with all that inner confusion, turmoil, denial, or whatever. Funny I'm just putting this together.

Anyway, I disagree with the line that "different is trouble for you only". Different is trouble for *everyone*...which is the reason why different is trouble for you. Hell, if it was really ok with society for people to be different, it wouldn't be a problem for anyone, would it?

But I even though I didn't know what my difference was for a while, I did think of it (as Mama Cass says) as a power I had that was special. After I worked the whole thing out (really at a pretty young age, as it goes...I was 16 when I figured out I'm bisexual...although I'm still bloody working out what it means and how to live with it after far too many years *sigh*), I continue to feel empowered by it...it's just a power whose dark side I have now tasted. *wrinkles nose* A taste I don't like. I just hope I don't end up with a red rubber rat affixed to my head.

Anyway, if this is the thread for the inspirational playlist, then here's a great one from Avenue Q:

If U were Gay avenue Q, Rod & Nicky - YouTube

7. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh! And an even better song...particularly for those who have or are contemplating coming out to a parent!

Scissor Sisters - Take Your Mama - YouTube

The song is much more fun than the experience itself, but you gotta love the image they paint!

8. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have always felt different, never fitted in , always hid my inner thoughts and feelings which I thought were shameful. As a pretend straight guy I must say I excelled at fooling people, which I guess takes skill, but the emotional cost was so high. For years and years and years I have been careful, ever so careful, about everything I say, every gesture, every glance. I can check out a guy really well without anyone knowing. Thanks for sharing your song and experience with it.

9. pnattmbtc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You guys are awesome!
    biAnnika the ave q song is GAYRT!! I just saw ave Q a few weeks ago and it was great! I get the confusion part, I tried to talk myself into being a bisexual, so that I wouldn't have to say the gay word...

arturoenrico I can totally understand the role playing. I loved my wife as my wife, but I really didn't have a full understanding of what a relationship should be....I only knew it from the perspective as it had been modeled for me, and ask me how that worked out for me! playing the roles became harder and harder..to the point where I felt the only was out was death. Thank the heavens and the God that lives in it that I have a friend that loves me enough to step in and out with me. I'm still playing the parts.....but they are getting smaller...but what about a song that has special meaning for you?