1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are the LGBT books?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by arturoenrico, May 28, 2013.

1. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok. I life in a relatively liberal suburb of a big city. I'm in Barnes and Noble to get something for my son. Out of curiosity I decide to look for one of Joe Kort's books, like 10 Smart Things Gay Men Can Do to Improve Their Lives. Well I'm deciding I don't want to ask for it because of privacy and also because its no ones business and also because I'm a coward. So I start searching everywhere: psychology, self-help, sexuality, new age and on and on. Can't find any LGBT books. I think this must be wrong. I get really angry, and upset, and then spent the next 30 minutes walking up and down every aisle looking for any gay or lesbian book. Sorry folks, these people don't exist! I was outraged and shocked and angry and why? Maybe people won't buy these books in a store, only on line? I'm still convinced there's a hidden section of books for queers in the back by the bathrooms. Need to check again. :tantrum:

2. wrhla

That's kinda surprising to me. But then again, I don't shop at Barnes & Noble.

I wouldn't think it has anything to do with homophobia however. Barnes & Noble is out to make a buck. If they could make a buck selling LGBT titles in your neighborhood, I suspect they would.

And, yes, I do suspect that most LGBT titles do better online than in bricks & mortar stores. I mean, most book sales are online these days, but I would think that's especially true for something that many people might not want to be seen buying.

3. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure what the section is titled, specifically, but at ours it's right next to the cultural studies books (specifically, African American and women's), which is not far from the history section. Things were rearranged a bit, but related subjects are generally grouped together.

Had the same problem a few months back, since it's such a relatively small section and towards the bottom of the shelf, making finding them tricky.

4. AKTodd

I know the Barnes and Nobles in my area have an LGBT section. It's not huge, but it's definitely there. IIRC it's usually back near the books on science and tech and also religion as it happens.

I live in Virginia. If we have em here, I'd be shocked if NY locations didn't have em.

Admittedly I haven't looked for an LGBT book in a while, so maybe they got rid of the section since so many were buying them online. Now I'll have to go check next time I'm near one of the local stores...

Todd

5. Chimera

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't been to Barnes and Nobles in forever (I tend to get lost in there and never want to leave!), but I know the public library near my home has a small LGBT section. I can also look up books from home and use their self checkout for privacy. It is awesome :slight_smile:

...I'm still a bit of a coward though, and usually hide the gay books under another book *lol*

6. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going to look again and get up the nerve to ask if I can't find it. Why not?

7. Candace

I'm from New York (the city), and I remember that the Strand Bookstore (12th Street and Broadway, Chelsea) has a large collection of LGBT related reading material (including one where the comic book character is gay, haha). But one of the main shop owners has been working there for over 35 years, openly gay. He got put into the NY Time some time ago.

8. Biotech49

:icon_bigg I just went to Hastings in Manhattan, Kansas yesterday and browsed the "relationships" section so check in that section at your local Barnes and Noble maybe? Yep, probably 150 or more LGBT related books. I obviously focused on the lesbian books. Didn't buy any but now that I know they are there, um, I just might! :eusa_danc

9. Cool Bananas

Brisbane, but I seem to fly as much as superman
    Just get a kindle and an amazon account and read what you like, although the book title does appear in the email.

Good to read a kindle on a plane. 2 hours without distractions from the phone or Internet and some airlines will give you a drink.

10. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I usually order books through amazon for kindle or by mail but I was there and got pissed off that there were no LGBT books. I still think I must be wrong and am going back to search because it just bothers me so much.