1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you fit the stereotypes?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by DrWhoFan, May 30, 2013.

1. DrWhoFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Stereotypes is one of those things that flies around in my head from time to time. I have always loved boys/mens clothes - I was much more confident in a shirt and tie than in a nice blouse. My gf sometimes gets mistaken for a guy because of her short hair, but actually she's not butch at all and we have a very balanced relationship. One of the things I really love about being gay is that there's a great balance I reckon you can have when it's with the same gender....

But to the point, since I came out of the closet, I am much more at ease with my feminine attributes. I wear more feminine clothes and have less aggressive body language. I'm actually less of a stereotype than before. Anyone else relate to this?

2. Munyal

I fit a few of the stereotypes. I have loads of friends who are gals, and I can have a ten minute conversation with them about who we find hot, as well as a strange ability to make something out of nothing with a girl's hair.

However, I have no real desire to go shopping, have my girlfriends call me "slut," "whore," or any other word that makes me seem promiscuous. I also don't talk in Valley Girl language, I have an average amount of fashion sense, and I don't automatically shove my sexuality in other peoples' faces.

3. wrhla

I don't know. None of the obvious stereotypes that anyone else would pick up on. But I ask myself about certain aspects of myself and wonder whether they are somehow connected to being gay and should have been clues when I was younger.

I used to love shopping for clothes for example. I have worked in arts-related fields most of my life. Little things like that.

4. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, not really.

5. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem with gay and lesbian stereotypes is that there are so very MANY of them! Woman with short hair, no makeup? Dyke! Long hair and lipstick? Lesbian! Clean-cut guy with cologne? Fag! Big hairy guy? Queer! Leather jacket and chaps? Gay!

My partner and I both wear our hair long. She is built fairly athletic...me less so *sigh*. We both use makeup pretty regularly (at least at work and social outings)...but not always. I'm equally comfortable in skirts/dresses as pants/tops (not particularly fond of mens' shirts)...although I can also enjoy lounging in sweatpants or loose shorts. I can be assertive and outspoken...but polite, open-minded, and considerate of the feelings of others. I tend to speak out for the rights of *all* people...so yeah, LGBT is included in that, as are women...which technically makes me a feminist activist.

...so do I exhibit the stereotypes? Or is my stereotype ambiguity consistent with my bisexuality? LOL :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Based on EC membership "hetero married with children" is a gay stereotype.

Go figure.

7. bagginses

bagginses Guest

I don't really fit the stereo type.

8. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really know what the stereotypes are for asexual, but I do fit a few:

I was sexually abused.

I am a virgin.

I find the thought of having sex disgusting and scary.

And I do like cake.:lol:

9. julia

Ah, no not really. I like 'girly' things, and I mostly have only female friends. I like makeup, fashion, etc, etc.

10. Linguistic_Geek

Some yes, some no. I have long hair, but rarely wear make-up. I'm usually in jeans and a t-shirt and a sweater. But lately I have been wearing more dresses/skirts. I love to bake, but I also like to paint.

Lately I've been trying to do/dress/act/look/think so I feel good. No matter if that makes me odd/gay/crazy/strange/weird.

11. JPC

JPC Guest

I love shopping, but that's about it.

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a few. When I point at something, my hand does this weird flourish. When I laugh, on occasion, it ramps up into a giggle. I like disco music (but then again, I grew up in the 70s, and I like most music from that time). I can't say as I became more masculine OR feminine when I came out, though.

Lex

13. tulman

None of them, and prefer guys who don't. They're hard to find.

14. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

I am rather feminine, and by my knowledge, that is a gay stereotype, so I suppose I conform. My consonants, however, are crisp, I assure you, and I am without lisp :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope, I qualify as stealth gay. The only thing that might give me away is that I don't like watching sports

16. Amerigo

I'm like both a boy and a girl and a drag queen and a politician all at the same time. Gets confusing you know.

17. justjade

Is there a stereotype about being genderfuild? :grin:

18. Trailblazer

I don't really have much that might make people think that I'm gay on the surface. I might monitor myself a little though, seeing as I'm not actually out though. I like to work with my hands and get dirty, like mainly guy stuff besides sports(love playing them, but I don't get time).

Really the only things that could fit a stereotype is I care a lot about other peoples feelings and am notoriously polite. I also can ball my eyes out at the right movie (cried in the theatres during Toy Story 3.. Thank god for the 3D glasses haha).

I generally like guys that have the same interests as me though, which is tough to find it seems, their all in the same situation as me haha. I've been trying online to no avail, but I don't give up. I figure my best bet is to find someone online. I can't get myself to come out to anyone personally to broaden my horizons though, just not able to alone. I'm closeted as hell but I would come out for the right guy in a heartbeat.. He just has to be here first :/.

19. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah...they tend to be rather genderfluid. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation: